Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Meemselle View Post
    When all the noise about regularization started in 2011? 2012? I had just arrived, and thought maybe I'd wing it. I doubted that there would be sweeps of North Americans/Europeans.

But then I decided anything is possible, so proceeded, with the help of an attorney, to get in order.

I'm still in provisional status, but my 6-month waiting period is over, and I can finalize to temporary as soon as I gird my loins for the trip to the Capital. For me, the chief benefits are: 1.- not having to pay overstay; and 2.-being able to buy a one-way ticket.
    So you think you will spend less money on this process counting lawyer fees than you could possible pay for overstays? One person over a period of years here said he paid somewhere close to $10,000 US? As for the return ticket, you can buy a refundable one and just cancel it. Remember you are at the start of a long and expensive process.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Whew !

You're beating your drum much harder than Windy & I beat ours...

We don't give advice - we just relate the situation for the traveler to decide

3. Likes cobraboy, windeguy liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ctrob View Post
    And that's exactly why if a property owner was ever given a hard time for overstay, a good lawyer could get it overturned. They would argue "contradiction". Both can't be true at the same time, The gov't allowing a non-resident to legally buy property AND deport them for being a non-resident.

It's not reasonable to think a person would legally buy property but stay only 30 days.
    The laws concerning owning property and being a legal resident in the DR are two completely different things. It is not reasonable to think they are related in such a way that by simply owning property a lawyer could argue the person should be a legal resident.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cobraboy View Post
    I thought you said the Vieques dust-up became problematic for the police check.
    No - Guzman said that was no problem - that is was minor compared to other folks that they had processed... That one had to have a REAL criminal record - on the level of felony or something like it (sex offender, perhaps?) But something violent. I like to think that my "criminal" record is a great deal more than it is!

It was really the issue of having to Start All Over Again a few times - One document somehow not enough, another Apostille needed, then the bloodiest out of date... etc....

And - after it all - it did seem that Everyone who is not a citizen is only there at the "pleasure of the President" and can be asked to leave whenever. I figured that if I were to be "invited" to leave - having a cedilla or not would not be an issue.

6. Likes Derfish liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

One doesn't need to be a resident to own property here. Owning property here in no way exempts you from being deported or denied entry for any violation of DR law.

8. Likes Harleysrock, Caonabo, windeguy liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

But on the subject of criminal records? I don't know what they are doing now. When I first started the process, I think they wanted something from the Dominican police and then from where I had lived last in the USA. Then as I was going through the process, they needed an FBI background check - which meant I had to return to the USA, get fingerprinted and submit those to the FBI. (I think it was about this time that I just gave up - did not go back for what was to be the 3rd medical exam?)

I suppose now there is a system in the USA for a good criminal background check that scans the records of all 50 states and the Federal data bases? And perhaps that would be sufficient? (Of course, after it was properly translated, stamped with some sort of official seal that one has to get in some office that is hidden behind some door somewhere!)

I grouse but even changing states inside the USA is not so easy - new driver's license, new insurance policies.

10. Likes Derfish liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Carry on you more than 5mil and you never have to worry about anything here...those are the facts jack like it or not ..... as my grandpa you to say a spade is a spade........

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I am curious to know what some think about illegals in their home country?

13. Likes Billp16, Caonabo liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
    I am curious to know what some think about illegals in their home country?
    Excellent question which I continue to ponder. I am illegal here yet support Trump and the wall. It does bother me.

15. Likes Big liked this post
    Dislikes Caonabo disliked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Very candid of you....

Keep pondering.... you'll decide for yourself

17. Likes Caonabo liked this post
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast