BECOMING LEGAL OR WINGING IT?

A

amstellite

i ve gone over all the requirements over and over again .. getting everything from here in NYC then coming to then DR withing the time frame , paying the cash to a lawyer and then waiting for the authorities to drag their feet and pull me up for something I ve forgotten... I m thinking it may just be simpler to live there without papers and be done with it.. thoughts?

I

irishpaddy

i ve gone over all the requirements over and over again .. getting everything from here in NYC then coming to then DR withing the time frame , paying the cash to a lawyer and then waiting for the authorities to drag their feet and pull me up for something I ve forgotten... I m thinking it may just be simpler to live there without papers and be done with it.. thoughts?

Why did you start the process ?....because you felt it was the right thing to do .
If everyone gave up at the first hurdle or two ...nothing would get accomplished .
Stick with it.
Just my opinion

A

amstellite

Why did you start the process ?....because you felt it was the right thing to do .
If everyone gave up at the first hurdle or two ...nothing would get accomplished .
Stick with it.
Just my opinion

thanks I think you re right

C

Cdn_Gringo

Just imagine how tough it is for foreigners to apply for residency in the USA and how long that takes. The process in the DR can be a little frustrating but that is all it is (that's why you use a lawyer). It's fairly straight forward, not terribly expensive relative to other countries and in the end, you can walk down the street and not have to worry about being thrown on a bus to go talk to a Judge.

E

El Rey de Mangu

Just imagine how tough it is for foreigners to apply for residency in the USA and how long that takes. The process in the DR can be a little frustrating but that is all it is (that's why you use a lawyer). It's fairly straight forward, not terribly expensive relative to other countries and in the end, you can walk down the street and not have to worry about being thrown on a bus to go talk to a Judge.

I've really only seen Hatians on the paddy wagon Cdn, to be perfectly honest. I mean, not that they don't have the token white guy once and a while. Maybe they'll be ramping up more.

W

william webster

give it a shot amstellite

Last edited:
C

Cdn_Gringo

In the broader sense, I find it comforting that I do not need to worry about potential immigration woes or unexpected travel interruptions. Unlike some, I'm not quite so mobile and relocating somewhere else at a time not of my choosing would be quite the disruption in my daily life. Peace of mind with one of the few things I have some control over here in the DR, priceless.

To each their own.

H

Harleysrock

If you feel you have to do it, do it. If not don’t. It’s not a must so up to you.

E

El Rey de Mangu

In the broader sense, I find it comforting that I do not need to worry about potential immigration woes or unexpected travel interruptions. Unlike some, I'm not quite so mobile and relocating somewhere else at a time not of my choosing would be quite the disruption in my daily life. Peace of mind with one of the few things I have some control over here in the DR, priceless.

To each their own.

Being turned back when one had planned on a 6-month stay is definitely not convenient. I would agree.

U

Uzin

Depends how long you stay in DR every year, I remember people saying you must be in DR 6 months every year to qualify for residency - not sure if that is continues stay with no interruption or aggregated over one year period... !

And what happens if you break that rule, I guess your residency becomes void and you become "illegal" according to DR law, I wonder how many do, while they keep telling visitor over-stayers they are "illegal" in the eyes of the law ...

S

SKY

It is really simple. If you are not coming here to start a business and just come and go for months or even years at a time DO NOT start the current nightmare called Residency. Where the rules, price, and everything else changes at the whim of the Government.

But if you choose Residency then go all the way and get Citizenship. That cannot be beat. But they make it harder every year to complete. The choice is yours. Relax, enjoy like all the lucky slobs that don't read the crap posted here, or join the misery parade.

And in full disclosure I have been a Dominican citizen since 2004.

W

william webster

as for maintaining residency validity.... no absence of longer is the stated rule, as I understand it
Check in once every 6 months.... if it's enforced

X

xstew

You cant win

as for maintaining residency validity.... no absence of longer is the stated rule, as I understand it
Check in once every 6 months.... if it's enforced
You can not win no matter what you do.
I have had perm. residency for many years. Now do to Migration stupidity i will just give up.
I tried to apply for renual of perm. residency. I can not log in the web site says my email is invalid. Tried with my alternative email same results. So what can you do their is no way to contact MIGRATION no email or phone numbers you can not enter without appointment. Is this a new way of getting you to have to start over and go thru all the agony of the process again ? Or is it just stupidity and no responsibility to their doing their job and allowing you to be in contact with them to rectify errors in their web process. I have sent emails to other gov. agencies never get a reply back. So do i get a lawyer to help correct [more money] their errors or just forget it and be illegal after 20 years of residency ? Does anyone have the secret way to contact Migration to advise them of the problem . Suggestions requested .

D

Derfish

Who here has ever worried about beingthrown on a bus to go talk to a judge? Really! How absurd.Derfish

C

Cdn_Gringo

It's intended to be an allegory - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegory

The knee jerk reactions posted by some on this site demonstrate the dismal state of English literacy these day. Interesting which nationality seems to get the comprehension part wrong most often...

Yours not the first such failure this morning.

E

El Rey de Mangu

It's intended to be an allegory - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegory

The knee jerk reactions posted by some on this site demonstrate the dismal state of English literacy these day. Interesting which nationality seems to get the comprehension part wrong most often...

Yours not the first such failure this morning.

Noted that there are members not living up to [your] standards of English comprehension.

C

cavok

You can not win no matter what you do.
I have had perm. residency for many years. Now do to Migration stupidity i will just give up.
I tried to apply for renual of perm. residency. I can not log in the web site says my email is invalid. Tried with my alternative email same results. So what can you do their is no way to contact MIGRATION no email or phone numbers you can not enter without appointment. Is this a new way of getting you to have to start over and go thru all the agony of the process again ? Or is it just stupidity and no responsibility to their doing their job and allowing you to be in contact with them to rectify errors in their web process. I have sent emails to other gov. agencies never get a reply back. So do i get a lawyer to help correct [more money] their errors or just forget it and be illegal after 20 years of residency ? Does anyone have the secret way to contact Migration to advise them of the problem . Suggestions requested .

DGM has a phone number in Santo Domingo(?). I've called them several times. You need to be able to speak Spanish though.

Also, there is an information window at DGM in SD. This is prior to the door where you can only enter with an appointment. Or, go to one of the substations like in POP. Don't let your residency expire after all this time. Big mistake.

X

xstew

great ill try going !

Thank's for the info. I hate dealing with Migration but have to give it a try. When they are posed with a question they have ways to vanish like the wind !

C

cavok

DGM has a phone number in Santo Domingo(?). I've called them several times. You need to be able to speak Spanish though.

The DR has the right approach here. Spanish is the official language of the DR. The US should do the same. When you come here to be a resident, you have two options: learn to speak Spanish or get someone to help you. There's absolutely no reason as a foreigner that you should expect to be catered to in this regard.