Eligibility for returning Dominican

G

Golfer

Does anyone know how long a Dominican citizen has to have lived in the US to be eligible for the one time returning Dominican discount for importing your car?

A

AlterEgo

Does anyone know how long a Dominican citizen has to have lived in the US to be eligible for the one time returning Dominican discount for importing your car?

When we brought ours, it wasn’t how long he’d lived in USA. He had to prove that he hadn’t lived in DR for a certain time frame, he had to present his passport as proof of time spent there. Since his passport didn’t cover the entire time period, he had to get a certified statement from immigration in Santo Domingo.

C

cavok

The way I remember it being worded was that you had to have owned the car for a certain minimum period of time prior to importing it in order to qualify for the discount. I think it's 1 year(?).

A

AlterEgo

The way I remember it being worded was that you had to have owned the car for a certain minimum period of time prior to importing it in order to qualify for the discount. I think it's 1 year(?).

It’s different for Dominicans. They also have to prove how much time they’ve lived in DR, I think it was over the prior two years before the car arrives.

M

Matilda

Alterego is correct. Have to have been away from the DR for two years.

La República Dominicana a través de sus delegaciones en el extranjero ofrece a todos los ciudadanos dominicanos servicios de CERTIFICACIONES, así como otros asuntos relacionados con la gestión consular, a fin de que puedan realizar cualquier actividad o función para los cuales dichos documentos o servicios sean imprescindibles.

El Certificado de Leyes 168 y 146-00 es una constancia que da la Oficina Consular de que un ciudadano dominicano ha cumplido el tiempo mínimo de dos (2) años residiendo en el extranjero, cuando éste no pueda mostrar con documentos oficiales del país de residencia, que efectivamente tiene dos años o más residiendo fuera de la República Dominicana.

Las leyes 168 y 146-00 estipulan favores y beneficios de excepciones aduanales para la entrada de enseres del hogar, utensilios profesionales y vehículos con características bajo las condiciones especificadas en las leyes y las normativas vigentes.

Todos los dominicanos tienen derecho a solicitar Certificado de Leyes 168 y 146-00 en las oficinas consulares de la República Dominicana.

The information as to what the laws say and what the benefits here is in two PDFs, the links to which are on this page https://consuladordmadrid.es/plan-retorno-voluntario/

Matilda