Oh what a trip !!!

Parker

May 21, 2002
I'm just back from Boca Chica... I read a lot of thread in this forum about the north coast, and I just wanted to say how much I fell in love with South DR.

DR people is great, and I experienced with them new kinds of priority in life... Rhum, merengue, and enjoy the moment. I live in Europe and say "what a difference". One great poet said someday "Size the day", I believe this line is perfect for DR.

I would be very interested in meeting on this forum people from DR and mostly from Boca Chica as I'm managing to get back there as soon as possible.

Thx
:lick:

Parker

May 21, 2002
Okay

Trip Report ???

Well, nothing more to say than the beauty of the countryside and the kindness of the people... More than Boca Chica I went to Saona Island wich is beautiful with incredible beaches, the best place for beach lovers... but I appreciated more than anything (I guess that the day that made the difference between a regular holiday and a falling in love) the "Safari" that brought us in the center of the Island, meeting people, eating fruits from the tree, walking by a local market, so many feelings, smells, colors...

Hotel Report ???

I stayed at the Dominican Bay, wich is a simple but very nice hotel. The staff was great, the animation team funny and I met great dancers. Only one thing, no disco in the hotel wich is a shame. But I really recommand the place for the Dominican families that come from Santo Domingo for the WE and bring their noise, their hapinness and their french-english-spanish conversations.

Do you want to know more ???

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Try a Non Inclusive Hotel next time

The DB and Hamaca and Don Juan are all well and good but you are really not experiencing the country inside a controlled environment like that. Ditto for package tours - it is a lot of fun to hire a car for a few hours - go to the capitol, see the colonial zone, eat on el Conde, shop at the Mercado Modelo.

For 3 or 4 people probably a lot less costly as well.

The french conversations must have been people of haitian backgrounds ( and few and far between) as I don't know many (any?) Dominicans that speak other than Spanish and a bit of English.

Parker

May 21, 2002
I'd love too

You're right I really should try a non inclusive next time. Unfortunatly from France it is way more expensive. And as a single girl I guess it might be a little "dangerous" (you must believe I have no courage ;)).
Anyway, that was the purpose of my first thread, I'd really love to meet people to be able to get back there by my own and not feel so insecure.
Have you been to Dominican Bay ?
Concerning the multi-language conversations, I don't know where those people where originally from, they knew a few words in French and English, most of the conversation were in spanish. But, at the DB, the animation team was speaking good french (and should better when you see how much french people were there...).
Thank you for answering.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Re: Try a Non Inclusive Hotel next time

ricktoronto said:

The french conversations must have been people of haitian backgrounds ( and few and far between) as I don't know many (any?) Dominicans that speak other than Spanish and a bit of English.

Rick,

You need to get out more. I know many Dominicans who are fluent in both French and English. There is even a French Cultural Institute in Santo Domingo with a waiting list to take classes.

Tony C.

Parker

May 21, 2002
French Cultural Institute

Hi !

Hey ! This is an interesting information... Does this Institute has a web site ? I'd be very interesting in knowing more about their activities...

Thx

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
I don't know what Tony C meant, but in many a town and citiy in DR you can find an Alliance Francaise (where do I find the c with the thingie underneath?). I never heard of a waiting list, but I was a student there and they are doing a wonderful job of introducing the kids (and adults) to the French culture... whatever that is. ;)

Parker

May 21, 2002
Hi Pib !

Thx for the informations, I'd be very interested in knowing more about your experience studying in the Alliance Fran?aise. Where there a lot of french people overthere ? Were your teachers french ?
What did you learn exactly ? I mean, language ? food ? litterature ? music ??????

Thx in advance for your answer.

PS : Where are you from ?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
That "thingie"under the c

I think that ? can be made by using CTL+ALT+ , ?....see?

I also seem to get it when I do something like ? (Accent, sorry "tilde" + c like ' + c = ?

Damn, I can't believe I'm tell you something about this...

HB, being learned...
bandit.gif

Last edited: