Analysis of Re-election Issue

N

NALs

In every election where re-electing the president is prohibited, changing the constitution to allow the current president to run again has been a feature.

Leonel only allowed one term in the late 1990's by changing that aspect of the constitution. That is why Danilo ran for president representing the PLD in the 2000 election and lost to Hipolito representing the PRD. Leonel basically shot himself in the foot because he would had won that election. His first term was considered good at the time. Hipolito change the constitution to allow the president in office to run for the presidency in the 2004 election. He lost to Leonel (PLD) and left that aspect alone. In 2008 Leonel won again because Hipolito changed the constitution to allow 2 consecutive terms if a president is re-elected. In 2012 Danilo (PLD) won because Leonel wasn't allowed to run again for that presidency, per the constitution. Danilo won again in the 2016 election. Now Danilo hit a road block because that aspect of the constitution says he can't run again, albeit he can run in the 2024 election.

Before, when Balaguer was president, the constitution never put any limit on how many times a sitting president can run for re-election. That is why he was the president so many times and at such an old age. The Americans forced him to end early his last presidency, cutting that one in half. He and Juan Bosch (at that time he already suffered from dementia and people that accompany him say he was not himself or thinking right) made sure that Leonel won and in the 1996 election Leonel won his first election.

I don't think he is going to change that aspect of the constitution. At this point he is simply Danilo being Danilo. I don't know why Leonel didn't left that aspect of the constitution alone and allow a sitting president to be re-elected until he dies. That's basically what some wants.

Last edited:
H

hammerdown

In every election where re-electing the president is prohibited, changing the constitution to allow the current president to run again has been a feature.

Leonel only allowed one term in the late 1990's by changing that aspect of the constitution. That is why Danilo ran for president representing the PLD in the 2000 election and lost to Hipolito representing the PRD. Leonel basically shot himself in the foot because he would had won that election. His first term was considered good at the time. Hipolito change the constitution to allow the president in office to run for the presidency in the 2004 election. He lost to Leonel (PLD) and left that aspect alone. In 2008 Leonel won again because Hipolito changed the constitution to allow 2 consecutive terms if a president is re-elected. In 2012 Danilo (PLD) won because Leonel wasn't allowed to run again for that presidency, per the constitution. Danilo won again in the 2016 election. Now Danilo hit a road block because that aspect of the constitution says he can't run again, albeit he can run in the 2024 election.

Before, when Balaguer was president, the constitution never put any limit on how many times a sitting president can run for re-election. That is why he was the president so many times and at such an old age. The Americans forced him to end early his last presidency, cutting that one in half. He and Juan Bosch (at that time he already suffered from dementia and people that accompany him say he was not himself or thinking right) made sure that Leonel won and in the 1996 election Leonel won his first election.

I don't think he is going to change that aspect of the constitution. At this point he is simply Danilo being Danilo. I don't know why Leonel didn't left that aspect of the constitution alone and allow a sitting president to be re-elected until he dies. That's basically what some wants.

Leonel changed the constitution back to one term before he left office in the hope of running in 2016.....Danilo one upped him when he changed it back to two terms so he could run again in 2016, and now wants a third term....I thought you were Dominican.....

N

NALs

Leonel changed the constitution back to one term before he left office in the hope of running in 2016.....Danilo one upped him when he changed it back to two terms so he could run again in 2016, and now wants a third term....I thought you were Dominican.....
I thought so too. Even 23andme a long time ago pinpointed me on the DR without I answering any of their questions. What's the likelihood of that happening. That map hasn't changed other than get more specific over time. I expect them to eventually mark down my street. lol

3219583-B-2831-4050-9-AAD-3-CF9-FFD92-D06.jpg

M

mobrouser

From DR1 news today--

https://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php/175818-DR1-Daily-News-Thursday-1-August-2019

34-year old named Minister of Economy
Juan Ariel Jiménez Núñez was appointed Minister of Economy, replacing Isidoro Santana. The appointment is in Decree 264-19 issued on 31 July 2019. Jiménez Núñez has been a career government employee in the PLD governments of former President Leonel Fernández and President Danilo Medina.

Jiménez worked at the Presidency in the role of vice minister of the Presidency. He is an economist and a graduate of the Harvard Kennedy School.

Jiménez is the son of long-time leading figure in the ruling Dominican Liberation Party (PLD), Felix (Felucho) Jiménez. His father is a former Minister of Tourism who is now the president of the Dominican Petroleum Refinery.

Jiménez Núñez’s predecessor, economist Isidoro Santana, had spoken up against changing the Constitution to enable a new term for President Danilo Medina and the unifying of the municipal elections with the congressional and presidential elections. Santana had openly stated that constitutional reform should not be promoted in an electoral period. Before his removal from office, Santana had announced the DR would grow 5%, coinciding with the forecast by the Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean (ECLAC).

https://z101digital.com/medina-desti...ariel-jimenez/
https://listindiario.com/la-republic...-de-desarrollo
https://listindiario.com/la-republic...cion-de-danilo
https://www.diariolibre.com/actualid...mia-AE13606024
https://www.cepal.org/en/publication...ancial-context