Danilo is not standing again

M

Matilda

He has just announced on the TV he will not be standing again.

Matilda

B

bob saunders

When he became President in his first term he said he would run for a second term but he had the constitution changed so he could.

J

Juan Bosch

Excellent news....lets hope Leonel looses along with the PLD.....country needs new fresh faces....

C

cobraboy

I read a poll that had Albinader winning over everyone but Medina, even Fernandez.

C

cobraboy

he is at 45% among the other candidates, higher than any.
We got a chance to meet him in a business lobby in 2015 when he was looking for campaign $$$. We chatted maybe 10 minutes. It was just him and his driver.

Seemed pleasant enough, like just a regular guy, articulate, laid-back and mild-mannered, kinda professorial. I know nothing about his politics.

E

El Rey de Mangu

We got a chance to meet him in a business lobby in 2015 when he was looking for campaign $$$. We chatted maybe 10 minutes. It was just him and his driver.

Seemed pleasant enough, like just a regular guy, articulate, laid-back and mild-mannered, kinda professorial. I know nothing about his politics.

Yes, I've seen him speak, that's about it. I am enthused for a party change in 2020.

This was the article regarding the polls. Looks like it was about 40%

https://listindiario.com/la-republi...wcNLCZVnRXLDV-8ySFrvRrFuSiA7EqYjdwxoFF9fmg408

M

Matilda

While a party change on the face of it is a great idea, it brings chaos along with it. Anyone else remember when Hipolito came into power? The key problem is that the DR has no independent civil service - those who work in government positions are supporters of the government in power, so all of those would go and be replaced. The problem is that the incoming people have no idea how to do the job, not having done it before, so getting anything official done becomes a nightmare until they learn to do their jobs - which can take a long while.

Matilda

T

the gorgon

While a party change on the face of it is a great idea, it brings chaos along with it. Anyone else remember when Hipolito came into power? The key problem is that the DR has no independent civil service - those who work in government positions are supporters of the government in power, so all of those would go and be replaced. The problem is that the incoming people have no idea how to do the job, not having done it before, so getting anything official done becomes a nightmare until they learn to do their jobs - which can take a long while.

Matilda

absolutely important observation. in British caribbean territories, civil servants are not political appointees. there are people who work in Pensions, The Treasury, and other government bureaucracies who have been there all their working lives. governments come, and governments go, but they remain constant. those workers know everything there is to know about the jobs, and are as proficient as can be expected.

in the DR, even the cleaning ladies get changed when the government changes. jobs are political payoffs, and have less than zero to do with competence. that is why trying to get anything done in a government department is a harrowing adventure...nobody knows anything.

N

NALs

Excellent news....lets hope Leonel looses along with the PLD.....country needs new fresh faces....
That is something that will not happen for a long time. The DR will have PLD for a lot more time, with or without Leonel.

W

windeguy

So true, everything changes with a new party because everyone works for a "botella" , if works is the right word.
Chaos everywhere, just like when Mr Potato Head (aka Hippolito and this countries version of W) was elected could indeed happen.

Albinadar had an interest in the old resort property that started, but stopped, renovations near Perla Marina. Will he win? I have no idea. Is Leonel running?

C

cobraboy

Matilda
I have been preaching for years that the #1 improvement the DR can make is establishing a professional civil service force.

But I won't hold my breath.

L

lifeisgreat

absolutely important observation. in British caribbean territories, civil servants are not political appointees. there are people who work in Pensions, The Treasury, and other government bureaucracies who have been there all their working lives. governments come, and governments go, but they remain constant. those workers know everything there is to know about the jobs, and are as proficient as can be expected.

in the DR, even the cleaning ladies get changed when the government changes. jobs are political payoffs, and have less than zero to do with competence. that is why trying to get anything done in a government department is a harrowing adventure...nobody knows anything.
Just learned something new...friggin totally inefficient...

J

JDJones

Not quite true for the DR, gg.

The is a sort of ipso facto unofficial civil service here. It's the ones who do the actual work while the botellas do their thing.

In every govt. office there are those chosen untouchable few who do the work done and do not worry about admin changes.

I have met many of them through the years because of my free zone work and most are still acquaintances who I deal with weekly and have been in those offices for 20+ years. (the stories I could tell!)

You get rid of those folks and it truly would be chaos.

The ones that get switched out are the botellas.

M

Matilda

Also the Ministers and departmental heads, change and that can cause chaos when they try and bring in some of their people and they change the rules. When Roberto Rosario was taken out of the JCE and replaced by Castaños Guzmán literally nothing happened. Divorces we were sorting just sat there for six months and friends of mine who work at the JCE said it was a total mess as new rules for the Civil Registry were brought in on a daily basis.

Matilda

E

Ecoman1949

Ditto GG. In Canada ministers are political appointments but they come and go like the wind. Deputy minister on down are civil service appointments, the people who do the work regardless of who is in power. Our federal government echos the British system as do many Caribbean islands. I actually prefer it to the Republic system. The DR Republic system seems to be in a state of constant chaos.