Neighbours loud music - any law that protects from noise pollution?

A

AndyAndy

Hello,

Property in Jarabacoa.

Some neighbour seems to rent out his casa and provide very powerful speakers to his tenants or use it themselves - outdoors!

The wind blows from his to my house and brings all this noise and obviously distracts the hell out of me.
I use earplugs but it still hurts and raises stress levels and brings down the quality of work and rest.

I tried to talk to him but he doesnt want to cooperate and tells me to call the police if I want. He will not lower the blasting music. His passive-aggressive style also implies hidden threat to me and my family.

I want to know if I have any rights by the dominican law to protect my family from the noise (music) and also under what conditions am I eligible to report this situation to the police or other authority.

I have a decibel measurement tool which I intend to use and record the readings on video.

So, its a question of my family`s health, wellbeing, security vs the balance with the community(member) addicted to loudness stimulation.

No, I am not going to move out. The music is not permanent as well, its occasional.

I know that the best way to live in this country is to avoid problems and swallow it but still would like to be prepared if things escalate.

Any ideas, please share!

Thanks!

H

Harleysrock

Are you able to install really good double pane windows that shut out the sound?
I would do anything possible before calling the police.

E

El Rey de Mangu

Hello,

Property in Jarabacoa.

Some neighbour seems to rent out his casa and provide very powerful speakers to his tenants or use it themselves - outdoors!

The wind blows from his to my house and brings all this noise and obviously distracts the hell out of me.
I use earplugs but it still hurts and raises stress levels and brings down the quality of work and rest.

I tried to talk to him but he doesnt want to cooperate and tells me to call the police if I want. He will not lower the blasting music. His passive-aggressive style also implies hidden threat to me and my family.

I want to know if I have any rights by the dominican law to protect my family from the noise (music) and also under what conditions am I eligible to report this situation to the police or other authority.

I have a decibel measurement tool which I intend to use and record the readings on video.

So, its a question of my family`s health, wellbeing, security vs the balance with the community(member) addicted to loudness stimulation.

No, I am not going to move out. The music is not permanent as well, its occasional.

I know that the best way to live in this country is to avoid problems and swallow it but still would like to be prepared if things escalate.

Any ideas, please share!

Thanks!

Well that certainly sucks and you have limited recourse. You would have to head to the Fiscalia, part of Medio Ambiente and file a complaint. You would have to make an appearance with the owner. There would be encouragement to make a mutual agreement between the 2 parties. This is "Ley por consejo". If they persist after the "agreement", you would have to return. The police can be called after the legal hours. They may ask them to turn it down. This is generally a black hole. Sorry

L

lifeisgreat

Yes there is noise laws and they will confiscate his stereo equipment... seen it done..with that said things escalate pretty quickly here so proceed with caution...

E

El Rey de Mangu

Yes there is noise laws and they will confiscate his stereo equipment... seen it done..with that said things escalate pretty quickly here so proceed with caution...

Lifeisgreat, this is generally for colmados, colmadones, etc. very rare at a domestic residence.

D

Derfish

I lived in such an enviornment several years ago. My landlady said if it was loud after 10:00 PM to call her and she'd call the police. I did , she did and after about 4 times or 5 the problem went away. Great Good luck.
Derfish

T

the gorgon

Hello,

Property in Jarabacoa.

Any ideas, please share!

Thanks!

you biggest problem is not the noise itself. it is the reality that you find yourself living in juxtaposition with that type of person.

A

AndyAndy

Well that certainly sucks and you have limited recourse. You would have to head to the Fiscalia, part of Medio Ambiente and file a complaint. You would have to make an appearance with the owner. There would be encouragement to make a mutual agreement between the 2 parties. This is "Ley por consejo". If they persist after the "agreement", you would have to return. The police can be called after the legal hours. They may ask them to turn it down. This is generally a black hole. Sorry

Thanks!

But is there any definite law regarding noise pollution, what is considered so and also are there any regulations of the community coexistence?

What type of lawyer should I look for?

C

Cdn_Gringo

Buy bigger speakers and play Mozart during those stressful times or put on a set of noise cancelling headphones.

The number to report excessive noise was posted in a thread somewhere on this site. The police are not who you want to call. Nothing good ever comes from inviting the police to your casa. If your neighbor is a foreigner, report his a$$. If a Dominican, expect lots of hard feelings and keep an eye on your pets.

You fail to mention when this noise usually occurs. If after 11 pm, you are justified in being annoyed. If at 2 pm you may not find a whole lot of sympathy. The noise people are the ones to advise you on your options.

P

Polar Bear

If it were me, and it isn't, but... I would buy a large speaker or 2 myself, point it/them at the offending idiot and blast a little Wagner ;)...it worked in Apocalypse Now lol.

German opera CAN be used as a weapon!!! Turn it up to 11 :bunny:

P

Polar Bear

Great minds..., PB. :)

I've witnessed many successful tactics in various locals in the DR... IF you're connected it's simple but if you don't want to squander that contact or wish to have some fun....let the games begin! :D

W

william webster

I can't believe you said that

My friend had a nice house - neighbor had a big joint and sold it
Turned to a monger rental... girls, music all night

The girls would peek over the wall at him and lift their shirts to shake the boody

The all night music killed him... in spite of the free Titty Parade

At 6am... he fired up BIG speakers to give it back.

It seemed to work... but these weren't Dominicans...

He sold and left subsequently

P

Polar Bear

If you have any Dominican friends of family willing to call/file the complaint you'll keep your name and face out of it and not risk retaliation... but there are always alternatives if you think like a guerilla warrior ;)

I would not recommend for the average gringo to get directly involved in a legal confrontation...but stereo wars! Yes please lol

L

lifeisgreat

Put on some Justin Bieber and go out for dinner :) for a week...

C

cavok

Thanks!

But is there any definite law regarding noise pollution, what is considered so and also are there any regulations of the community coexistence?

What type of lawyer should I look for?

There definitely is a law regarding noise pollution - Ley 287-04. The guidelines established by Medio Ambiente can be downloaded from this link(first dowload): https://ambiente.gob.do/transparencia/base-legal/normas/

Basically, the sound level at your property line can't be above 65dBA during the day(around 7am-9pm) and 55dBA from 9pm-7am. It is enforced by Policia National and Medio Ambiente. The DR has become a lot more agressive in enforcing noise laws than they used to. You can try calling the PN to make a complaint, or have a special fiscal from Medio Ambiente come out to your property and officially measure the noise level - easier said than done.

Don't waste your time with a lawyer. As others have said, it's best to try to resolve the problem amicably if at all possible.

E

El Rey de Mangu

If you have any Dominican friends of family willing to call/file the complaint you'll keep your name and face out of it and not risk retaliation... but there are always alternatives if you think like a guerilla warrior ;)

I would not recommend for the average gringo to get directly involved in a legal confrontation...but stereo wars! Yes please lol

Polar Bear, when you're right, you're wright