Page 297 of 404 FirstFirst ... 197247287295296297298299307347397 ... LastLast
Results 2,961 to 2,970 of 4035
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    I suppose the poor people have not taken them to court. The law is the law. It does not mean it is enforced if nobody complains. Closing off the access with a rope is a violation of the law. What people to do violate the law is not the law. But, do remember, this is the DR. It is corruption that allows such a blockage to happen, not the law.

At Encuentro, just a bit east of Sosua, but still under the governance of Sosua/Cabarete in case someone thinks it does not belong in a future of Sosua thread, people have been complaining for what seems like forever about the illegal closure of parts of the public access to Encuentro Beach and the courts are involved.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Play...7102972122983/
    Yes. ON PAPER any very beautiful "laws" may exist. It does not hurt.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I suppose any connection to POP is better than none, even reviving that old PR flight. Yes, I even took a flight to PR once using POP (wife wanted to go, now that we did that, there is no need to repeat that experience again). We may have even flown through PR once on the way elsewhere.

All beaches in the DR are "public". So is the land from the water back 60 meters public as well. However, if there is no way to access a beach except through private land, (like the small beach at Sea Horse Ranch) then it is possible to cut off public access via land. Land owners are not required to provide a passageway through part of their property.

The real issue here for Sosua beach and continued public access is if the current entrances at the east and west ends of Sosua beach are in the public 60 meter domain, or not. I have no idea on that point. Does anyone else know?

The second real issue is if those two entrances to Sosua beach are within the 60 meter public domain, will the government keep them open or fail to enforce the law as I have heard they are not doing at Encuentro Beach, which has been in litigation for a long time regarding blocked access.
    that makes good sense. I take long walks on the beach for part of my workout, that's why I like Cab beach. You can walk a few miles round trip w/o any problem except at high tide when the water is hitting the rocks by Velero. I would be ****ed if I got stopped by any of the hotels along the way

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by irsav View Post
    No. Access to the water in front of "their" beach is prohibited as well. By a rope. So, one cannot "swim over". Hamaca claims that all beach, sand and water BELONG TO THEM ONLY.
    So called "60 m Law" is a BS. Only for poor people.
    In Sosua same with the Sosua Ocean Village beach. Sergei Trofimov specifically instructs his guards not to allow any "strangers" to touch "his" beach.
    Both of those claims by owners are actually BS, but if nobody with deep pockets will fight them, they will get away with it.

Big, I think there was a resort that tried to set up a private beach area in Cabarete at one time, but they thankfully failed.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Both of those claims by owners are actually BS, but if nobody with deep pockets will fight them, they will get away with it.

Big, I think there was a resort that tried to set up a private beach area in Cabarete at one time, but they thankfully failed.
    that does sound familiar, I think a gang of kite surfers would be a tough group to deal with.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    that does sound familiar, I think a gang of kite surfers would be a tough group to deal with.
    The regular surfers at Encuentro Beach have not had much luck despite the courts ruling in their favor. As irsav likes to point out, the dark side of the force can trump written laws in the DR based upon the depth of the dark side's pockets. In a year or so, we should see how this beach access plays out on Sosua Beach. Still no real movement on new construction there?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    that makes good sense. I take long walks on the beach for part of my workout, that's why I like Cab beach. You can walk a few miles round trip w/o any problem except at high tide when the water is hitting the rocks by Velero. I would be ****ed if I got stopped by any of the hotels along the way
    Same to us. When we lived in POP we used to go down to Long Beach every morning and from there to jog to Playa Dorada. To swim there. And to jog back later. 3.5 miles each way.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ljmesg View Post
    This law from 1968 is archaic and hardly enforced. Think about it. High water marks can be very inland then add another 60 meters and you are deep into seaside real estate.

Think about how many homes and villas and restaurants have been built within this "public land." Thousands.

To quote this law is moot. Its meaningless. It's not enforced. It's a joke.
    Good point. The beach town where we live (south coast) has multiple restaurants within that setback, and I know that at least two of them have valid titles for their property.

Admin
    DR1.com

8. Likes irsav, N/A liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ljmesg View Post
    To quote this law is moot. Its meaningless. It's not enforced. It's a joke.
    It was enforced recently in Cabarete. The property owner was forced to remove structures.

10. Likes N/A liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ctrob View Post
    It was enforced recently in Cabarete. The property owner was forced to remove structures.
    Did not grease correctly.

12. Likes N/A liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

A friend of mine has some expensive villas on the beach in Cabarete. He put a low wall, maybe 2ft high max, that extended down a ways into the 60 meter set back and also a small structure. He knows how to grease palms, but Marina is tough - they made him take it down.

The 60 meter set back is measured from the mean high tide line - not where high tide is during a storm or the full moon.

14. Likes House liked this post