Page 321 of 390 FirstFirst ... 221271311319320321322323331371 ... LastLast
Results 3,201 to 3,210 of 3896
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

CB,

I believe you missed my meaning when I reference the JetBlue crowd. I don't consider them to be tourists in the same vein as someone who checks into a resort. I do not see the legitimate tourist crowds returning to Sosua any time soon so businesses probably shouldn't be banking on them as a significant revenue stream.

However, I do agree with you, legit tourists and expats can and do coexist together and thus can have a positive impact on the local economies. That other group and residents are like oil and water and they do not mix nor can you encourage one without negatively affecting the other.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd kill for any US fast food outlet in Sosua. Dominicans control the Burger King and McDonalds franchise in the DR, I wonder why they haven't popped one in near Sosua or Cab.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

A Subway and a Taco Bell would be nice, too.

4. Likes ljmesg liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jd426 View Post
    Micheals Stone
    5/5 on feyboo, and 4.6 on google , with 65 reviews , not too shabby..

Do you remember when I said that one day there will be a Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks on PEDRO C., and I was called insane but 99% on that other board ... looks like that day is not far away now ..
    Fact is If you want to attract FAMILIES now , you will HAVE to have those type of Places .. " known brands" these type tourists have never heard of the guy at Cubanos and his Chocolate Cake and Coffee.. they are un refined & mindless just like the Cruise ship passengers . They only understand # 4 , combo, with a med coffee, 2 creams and a spenda.
    So true. Over 20 years ago I went to Playa del Carmen when it was just "getting on the map" and there was a McDonald's there. It was packed with gringos.

6. Likes jd426 liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ljmesg View Post
    I'd kill for any US fast food outlet in Sosua. Dominicans control the Burger King and McDonalds franchise in the DR, I wonder why they haven't popped one in near Sosua or Cab.
    Not enough population to support the huge investment, costs and fees.

Maybe McDowells would work there.
    Cabin Attendant,
    Augusto Pinochet Helicopter Tours

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cdn_Gringo View Post
    CB,

I believe you missed my meaning when I reference the JetBlue crowd. I don't consider them to be tourists in the same vein as someone who checks into a resort. I do not see the legitimate tourist crowds returning to Sosua any time soon so businesses probably shouldn't be banking on them as a significant revenue stream.
    Which is why my caveat was "the monger crowd gets more under control as far as not so high profile".
    Cabin Attendant,
    Augusto Pinochet Helicopter Tours

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Sosua news cheered the installation of four speed bumps on the highway between Charamicos and Playero as protecting the large number of people visiting the beach every weekend.
    In fact the beach is deserted, no locals, no tourists.

You risk your life entering the water on the slippery rocks as the sand is gone.
    I would think the city would work with the Beach Association and bring in sand.
    It would provide some employment for locals and make the beach usable.
    Makes me wonder about the city's motives .

Saw some pictures on FB of Pedro Clisante on a Friday nite and its ghostville.
    Could all the crowds be at the east end due to the relocation?
    This seems to be months where we had tourists in the past.
    What happened? Where is everybody?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zoomzx11 View Post
    Sosua news cheered the installation of four speed bumps on the highway between Charamicos and Playero as protecting the large number of people visiting the beach every weekend.
    In fact the beach is deserted, no locals, no tourists.

You risk your life entering the water on the slippery rocks as the sand is gone.
    I would think the city would work with the Beach Association and bring in sand.
    It would provide some employment for locals and make the beach usable.
    Makes me wonder about the city's motives .

Someone said the speed bumps were gone bu Sosua beach, but I certainly saw all of them them going to Jarabacoa and back over the last couple of days via Puerto Plata/Santiago route.

Tourism has been going down, and down and then more down on the north coast for years now.
    The tourists go to Punt Cana. That is where "everybody" is. Tourism is not going to come back on the north coast in large numbers, but a few more Expats are buying property every year. Expat numbers are slowly growing.

I have no idea how busy the new entertainment area is at the east end of Pedro Clisante, others can comment on that.
    Seems at least somewhat busy from the complaints of those that live in that area about the noise.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cavok View Post
    A Subway and a Taco Bell would be nice, too.
    I never get tired of Subway. Don't go there a lot but never get tired of.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zoomzx11 View Post

Don't know if there's any connection, but I was at Cabarete Beach friday night and I've never seen it so slow - slower than any Friday night I've ever seen, even in the low season.