Page 364 of 402 FirstFirst ... 264314354362363364365366374 ... LastLast
Results 3,631 to 3,640 of 4013
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jd426 View Post
    Thank you for your humorous response, but we are NOT talking about the "500" chicas plying their trade

we are talking about all the OTHER EMPLOYABLE Residents in Sosua ,,, who work at the Hotels , Restaurants , shops etc etc ... those who are NOT Directly involved in walking the street or selling their " time" to generous gentlemen....

is this really that difficult to understand, or are some of you content pretending you cant grasp this ?
    Oh, I get it. But you forgot to add in the costs of medical care for the disease ridden ladies of the evening and what they pass on to their Johns. That has to be a significant part of the local contribution to the economy.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

And you must add the additional factor of the ladies of the evening and their Johns and their coke habits as a further stimulation to the local economy.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    You are right, of course. My mistake and I admit them when I make them. Each of the estimated 500 working girls only has to support 100 Dominicans in Sosua. An easy task for them, certainly. Clearly if those 500 women went elsewhere, all of Sosua would crumble in a week, maybe two. But, they did not go elsewhere, did they? Just to another part of Sosua from what I have read above. At least it stimulates a discussion as to the veracity of the claims of how soon all of Sosua will fail.
    Don’t feel bad ..they added zero to 50 make 500 you where just following suit....

4. Likes windeguy liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

And you must add the additional factor of the ladies of the evening and their Johns and their coke habits as a further stimulation to the local economy.
    And that 95% are not local girls but out of town ,so highest earners spend the least here...

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I have no idea, but one thing is certain, and that is change.

By the way, nobody removed the hookers from Sosua, last I heard. They were allegedly "all over" but perhaps not concentrated in one two block long area which has the focus of a certain group.
    there are as many if not more, last night post super bowel , countless!

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lifeisgreat View Post
    And that 95% are not local girls but out of town ,so highest earners spend the least here...
    The Girls dont have to spend a DIME , the Mongers already PAID for the Hotel, Restaurant Food, Drinks etc..
    what part of this is unclear to you ? They stop coming completely , that money vaporizes ...
    and thats fine ...if thats what you are cheering for , and may get your wish ..
    but Again, I ask are the expats and Locals going to fill these same hotel Rooms, and Eat more food , and drink more ? at $200 a day ?

it really is exhausting trying to explain such basic Economics to some of you.

8. Likes Big, ctrob, TheViking liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

The Girls dont have to spend a DIME , the Mongers already PAID for the Hotel, Restaurant Food, Drinks etc..
    what part of this is unclear to you ? They stop coming completely , that money vaporizes ...
    and thats fine ...if thats what you are cheering for , and may get your wish ..
    but Again, I ask are the expats and Locals going to fill these same hotel Rooms, and Eat more food , and drink more ? at $200 a day ?

it really is exhausting trying to explain such basic Economics to some of you.
    That hilarious we feel the same way about you guys

10. Likes windeguy liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lifeisgreat View Post
    That hilarious we feel the same way about you guys
    Which guys is that ? No Group i belong to . you are way off .
    so , When you don't have any facts or even a basic understanding of how money flows in a local economy
    . attack the person asking questions.
    duly noted.

12. Likes TheViking liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Again, I ask are the expats and Locals going to fill these same hotel Rooms, and Eat more food , and drink more ? .
    No, they won't. There will be a lot of short term pain. Not being callous, but people adapt and the pain gets spread around. I think a good (not perfect) analogy is a "plant closing" in North America. One day the general manager walks out and says "we're closing the doors, clean out your lockers".

Some go on their spouses health insurance.
    Some will move to greener pastures.
    Some were commuting and will find work closer to home.
    Some will take the opportunity to open a business.
    Some will retire.
    And yes, some will lose cars or houses.
    And maybe somebody takes over the plant and builds a different widget.

I see the same thing happening in Sosua. Yes, some hotels/restaurants will close. But others will adapt. Take New Garden. He will probably increase his "Italian" crowd - he's very well positioned for it. I think the local expats living full time in nearby communities will frequent Sosua more and more once the transformation is complete. That already happened immediately after the large shutdown a few weeks ago. It was evident, there were more expat couples walking around. While I do chalk that up partially to curiosity about the closures, I think once the dust settles they will continue to show up.

But it's never an even trade, there will be pain. And I feel sorry for those that are one day working, and the next day their restaurant is bulldozed. They're just trying to earn a living, feed their family. And while it won't be an immediate and even trade, there will be new jobs coming.

14. Likes lifeisgreat, windeguy, Timotero, jd426, JDJones liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ctrob View Post
    And while it won't be an immediate and even trade, there will be new jobs coming.
    New jobs?
    As much as I would like to see Sosua cleaned up,
    I do not expect the clean up to produce new jobs.