Page 278 of 404 FirstFirst ... 178228268276277278279280288328378 ... LastLast
Results 2,771 to 2,780 of 4032
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lifeisgreat View Post
    They will be closing PC on weekends again..
    The weekends are a start. Did it not used to be nightly when they did this before?

2. Likes irsav, drstock, ctrob liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

The government released figures that claim tourism has reduced 1.5 percent due to the recent deaths and publicity.
    Wonder how they are able to know exactly why tourists decide not to travel here?
    With all the widespread negative news articles on the DR only 1.5 percent seems small.

Perhaps I am cynical but I do not believe these numbers anymore than the literacy rate or the census figures.

How long until we know if the big move plan is working?
    Anyone see families rushing in to town?
    We do have traffic jams between PP and Sosua for whatever that means.

It would be wonderful to see the big move plan work or even some early signs it is working.

Anyone know if the schools are seeing big increases in registration numbers?
    All those families must have kids that need to go to school somewhere.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zoomzx11 View Post
    The government released figures that claim tourism has reduced 1.5 percent due to the recent deaths and publicity.
    Wonder how they are able to know exactly why tourists decide not to travel here?
    With all the widespread negative news articles on the DR only 1.5 percent seems small.

Perhaps I am cynical but I do not believe these numbers anymore than the literacy rate or the census figures.

How long until we know if the big move plan is working?
    Anyone see families rushing in to town?
    We do have traffic jams between PP and Sosua for whatever that means.

It would be wonderful to see the big move plan work or even some early signs it is working.

Anyone know if the schools are seeing big increases in registration numbers?
    All those families must have kids that need to go to school somewhere.
    Hotels, restaurants and taxi are same price as in New York and Miami. Affordability used to be the only attractive point for vacationing in the DR.

5. Likes malko, Lobo Tropical liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zoomzx11 View Post
    That might be a number they got just from travel agents. I agree it's probably a bit higher for all cancellations and people just changing their mind.

As to the plan working, it is. People are investing and buying. But it takes time.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ctrob View Post
    That might be a number they got just from travel agents. I agree it's probably a bit higher for all cancellations and people just changing their mind.

As to the plan working, it is. People are investing and buying. But it takes time.
    I have been told by authorities that arrivals in Oct/Nov were down 17% from the prior year.
    Cabin Attendant,
    Augusto Pinochet Helicopter Tours

8. Likes ctrob liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cobraboy View Post
    I have been told by authorities that arrivals in Oct/Nov were down 17% from the prior year.
    ..now we are getting closer to the truth...

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by irsav View Post
    Hotels, restaurants and taxi are same price as in New York and Miami. Affordability used to be the only attractive point for vacationing in the DR.
    I haven't been to New York recently, but last time I went to Miami prices for hotels and restaurants were much, much higher.

11. Likes Seamonkey, cavok, ctrob, windeguy, Billp16 and 2 others liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uzin View Post
    JD do you talk about anything else with your friends that they maybe disgusted about, let me think, how about all the rubbish and plastic bottles and what not they throw out of their cars, or all the pollutant they release in their rivers that end up on their beaches (have you been to Confresi beach lately !)...

Or all the 12 and 13 year olds who get pregnant, mainly by their good old "tios" (uncles). Or all the infidelity when they take their multiple mistresses to so many cabanas around the country - this subject of cabanas have come up with my friends back home, and they all shocked by such organized/obvious unfaithfulness tools at their disposal so common here....

Or the level of education standard of their kids, just last week I was asking how much this kid who goes to grade 4 at school will have if I gave him 500 pesos and then another 1000 pesos - he was totally gobsmacked (too much money maybe ! lol), his father was there and he eventually figure it out himself (lol), but the kid could not add it together to save his life... !? And I was told he is a very good student at school.... !

Let alone all the corruption that goes on here, many of people I know do not like and avoid calling the police to resolve issues, because they don't like them and afraid of them, and think getting them involved cause more hassle than not...!

So you see, there are a lot of things they could be disgusted about, and there are some laws against some of those, but we seem to find Sosua to be their main concern, where mainly no laws are being broken, and not a lot of trouble caused, even some money being made..., a bit funny really.... lol
    Yes, it is funny in a weird/sad way how even the middle/upper middle class dont see these as serious issues needing attention. The education for one (as you stated) is embarrasing. I have met doctors here that cannot do simple grade 3 math. All of the above are issues keeping the DR in a 3rd world ranking rather than the "developing Country" category that some here believe it to be. Im not trying to knock the Country and the people, just stating the obvious facts. Hell they still believe Medical MJ is bad and opioids are a better solution even though most of Latin America as well the developed world has long recognized. Hopefully a new Prez next year can be a start!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by irsav View Post
    Have you ever been to Sosua or the DR?
    Clearly you have NO IDEA what you are
    talking about.

14. Likes windeguy, Billp16, Bob K, Seamonkey liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CristoRey View Post
    Have you ever been to Sosua or the DR?
    Clearly you have NO IDEA what you are
    talking about.
    indeed!! You can get a room in Sosua any day for 40 dollars U.S, try doing that on the beach in Miami or NYC

16. Likes Seamonkey liked this post