Malecon - solo AM running?

K

Kelloev

Hi,
I’m here in SD for one month (only been here 3 days)and I’d like to be able to do early morning runs. The Malecon seems like the perfect spot, but as a solo female runner most people (non-runners) have said it’s not safe. Can SD runners weigh in? Where do you feel safe running? Are you a solo female runner that would recommend the Malecon in the AM?
Alternatively, if you’re looking for a running partner I run about a 1030 mile, if you’re in the vicinity and want a run partner let me know! I live in Gazcue.
Thanks for the help!
Kello

2dlight

Hi,
I’m here in SD for one month (only been here 3 days)and I’d like to be able to do early morning runs. The Malecon seems like the perfect spot, but as a solo female runner most people (non-runners) have said it’s not safe. Can SD runners weigh in? Where do you feel safe running? Are you a solo female runner that would recommend the Malecon in the AM?
Alternatively, if you’re looking for a running partner I run about a 1030 mile, if you’re in the vicinity and want a run partner let me know! I live in Gazcue.
Thanks for the help!
Kello
There are people walking, jogging, running and cycling along the Malecon as early as six a.m. every day. Additionally, there are Cestur on bicycles and motorcycles patrolling all the time. People not physically active in the area at that time wouldn't know about that.

Last edited:
K

Kelloev

There are people walking, jogging, running and cycling along the Malecon as early as six a.m. every day. Additionally, there are Cestur on bicycles and motorcycles patrolling all the time. People not physically active in the area at that time wouldn't know about that.

Thanks! That’s the information I was hoping to find from people who are actually out there!

B

bigbird

post #2 by 2dlight should be all the info you need. he nailed it

C

Cdn_Gringo

You create your own safety in this country. Many crimes against foreigners and women in particular are crimes of opportunity. If you create the opportunity to be robbed or assaulted then it should not be surprising when one day you are robbed or assaulted.

If you are alone...
if you are in a secluded spot and alone...
If you are doing something that makes you stand out in a crowd...
If you are wearing trendy attire or jewelry...
If you do not appear confident or look out of your comfort zone...
Just being in a place where a criminal feels comfortable...

Bad things happen to good people all over the world all the time. For crimes that happen in public places, usually the victim is in part at fault for doing something that convinced the perpetrator they were a mark worthy of their time and effort. There is an element of bad luck that is involved but in the end, if you weren't there, or you had a baton or pepper spray or if you had waited until there were more people around... you get the idea.

H

hard times doug

Hi,
Thanks for the help!
Kello
Been running on the Malecon for years without any issues other than the empty beer and liquor bottles that get left behind from the night before. Enjoy the ocean views.

R

Riva_31

Hi,
Thanks for the help!
Kello

the Malecon area is very big, you just make sure to run in the area where all the people that use the malecon for running go to do it, and you will be fine, and Welcome.

H

Harleysrock

I love watching all the people running and being active on the malecon, I see tons of single females doing it so it can’t be that dangerous. I’m sure you will be fine just be cautious as you would anywhere being a woman running on your own.
I wanted to smoke a joint there and it was hard to find an area without a huge presence of some kind of police so that is good for your safety at least.