TEACHERS AND EDUCATION

D

Duece

On 24 June 2019, the president of the Dominican Association of Public School Teachers (ADP), Xiomara Guante, denounced that the job contests for teachers were not designed for Dominican education professionals. She asked that the Minister of Education take charge. In five of the regions where the test was applied, 100% of the participants had failed the exam.

There should be an outrage among the citizens of the Dominican Republic that this total failure among teachers in 5 regions and the abysmal results nation wide for testing teachers. I have lived here for 20 years and it saddens me that this happens.
In DR1 frequently there are articles concerning companies seeking qualified workers for either expansion or start ups.
I have a controversial opinion concerning education and fortunately, for the most part, DR1 is anonymous so I am hoping I can briefly share this opinion without fear of reprisal.

Those in power, whether political, industrial, or super wealthy do not want the educational level of children and even college age students to rise rise above a certain degree. Why you may ask? To maintain their grip on power. Over and over it is said that corruption is one of the major problems in this country. I hear all of the time "What can you do about it? Nothing changes." Education changes things but it is hard to improve education when the educators are failing.

If the 25 most powerful persons and/or entities in the DR wanted this to change they could do it. They would have the power, influence and wherewithal to cause change. It is time for change and change can be seen as revolutionary. However, education is not so much revolutionary as it is a fundamental right in any sovereign nation and certainly any nation claiming to be Democratic. Sadly, if there is no change things don't get better they get worse. The statistics at the beginning of this thread point to things going in the wrong direction. In fact, instead of worrying if a president can change the constitution so he or she can stay in power in perpetuity, a president is needed who has the will and vision to bring about a fundamental change that will fuel the betterment of a great people and a nation that could and should be a beacon of hope and excellence.

B

BermudaRum

This should all change for the better since several weeks ago according to the Educational Dept. and its minister. Up to 70,000 new Dell laptop have been given free to each teacher, along with a training course how to use them. Now Google will be the answer to all their problems:cheeky:

https://www.sosuanews.mobi/index.php?id=5606&article=1

C

cobraboy

On 24 June 2019, the president of the Dominican Association of Public School Teachers (ADP), Xiomara Guante, denounced that the job contests for teachers were not designed for Dominican education professionals. She asked that the Minister of Education take charge. In five of the regions where the test was applied, 100% of the participants had failed the exam.

There should be an outrage among the citizens of the Dominican Republic that this total failure among teachers in 5 regions and the abysmal results nation wide for testing teachers. I have lived here for 20 years and it saddens me that this happens.
In DR1 frequently there are articles concerning companies seeking qualified workers for either expansion or start ups.
I have a controversial opinion concerning education and fortunately, for the most part, DR1 is anonymous so I am hoping I can briefly share this opinion without fear of reprisal.

Those in power, whether political, industrial, or super wealthy do not want the educational level of children and even college age students to rise rise above a certain degree. Why you may ask? To maintain their grip on power. Over and over it is said that corruption is one of the major problems in this country. I hear all of the time "What can you do about it? Nothing changes." Education changes things but it is hard to improve education when the educators are failing.

If the 25 most powerful persons and/or entities in the DR wanted this to change they could do it. They would have the power, influence and wherewithal to cause change. It is time for change and change can be seen as revolutionary. However, education is not so much revolutionary as it is a fundamental right in any sovereign nation and certainly any nation claiming to be Democratic. Sadly, if there is no change things don't get better they get worse. The statistics at the beginning of this thread point to things going in the wrong direction. In fact, instead of worrying if a president can change the constitution so he or she can stay in power in perpetuity, a president is needed who has the will and vision to bring about a fundamental change that will fuel the betterment of a great people and a nation that could and should be a beacon of hope and excellence.
Nothing controversial, dumbing down a population has been an effective political strategery for decades if not longer.

E

El Rey de Mangu

Nothing controversial, dumbing down a population has been an effective political strategery for decades if not longer.

i wouldn't say "dumbing down" so much as keeping the ceiling tight

A

Asan

A sad reality, as a graduate of the private school system in the DR I can share that this is the case even in private schools. It is shameful to see the grammar and spelling errors when you see comments in YouTube and other platforms(parents really work had to pay, at least mine did). The worst part is the cost of the prívate institutions, significantly more than some private schools in the US. I have also noticed that it's harder for this generation to go out on their own after they get a college degree, many of my cousin's (late 20s) are still living at their parents place. What's your take on this?

R

Ramen

My brother in law graduated in Engineering and is making mere pesitos. The reality is that it's not possible or economically viable for many young people to set out on their own.

N

NanSanPedro

My brother in law graduated in Engineering and is making mere pesitos. The reality is that it's not possible or economically viable for many young people to set out on their own.

no lo entiendo. It's hard for me to understand why. The USA is screaming for engineers. Why can't he get a good job?

A

Asan

I think the BIL lives in DR....same for my family, all have college degrees (lawyers, architect, dentist) and all make very little.... Yet we have the well connected families who live way better than anyone in a first world country. At least in the US you have an opportunity to advance.

T

the gorgon

I think the BIL lives in DR....same for my family, all have college degrees (lawyers, architect, dentist) and all make very little.... Yet we have the well connected families who live way better than anyone in a first world country. At least in the US you have an opportunity to advance.

i know a bunch of attorneys who don't even own a modest car. i know doctors who ride passolas. i am beginning to believe that fields like medicine and the legal field are saturated with really low level people, from questionable institutions.

i went to court once to translate for an American guy who had his apartment broken into by a druggie. the attorney for the thief had to bring it to the attention of the fiscal that i could not be deemed to have been a witness, because i already had declared within the proceedings that i did not see the perpetrator , and was just an associate of the victim... poor guy did not even know that you have to have seen something to be deemed an eyewitness..

N

NanSanPedro

I still stand confused with regards to medical and engineering. I totally understand the over-saturation in lawyers because the USA is experiencing the same phenomena.

Doctors and engineers can find corporate sponsors in the USA and probably other countries to help them emigrate. I know it's done in some African countries because we had their natives where I worked.

The only thing I can think of is that the schools here are just diploma mills (much like Haiti) who churn out dummies for a fat fee. Is that correct or is there more?

C

cobraboy

One roadblock to graduating better STEM graduates is the lack of laboratory and practical facilities and equipment.

I got to sit in on a chemistry class in a local bi-lingual Christian school. They didn't even have a Bunson burner or test tubes. There was virtually no lab instruction, all class theory. How can a student learn without doing?

N

NanSanPedro

One roadblock to graduating better STEM graduates is the lack of laboratory and practical facilities and equipment.

I got to sit in on a chemistry class in a local bi-lingual Christian school. They didn't even have a Bunson burner or test tubes. There was virtually no lab instruction, all class theory. How can a student learn without doing?

Besides taking all the fun out of it. Who doesn't remember setting the chem lab on fire in 10th grade?

What city was it? We have a bi-lingual Christian school here in SPdM that's highly rated (Las Palmas) and I'm wondering if it was that.

D

Dr_Taylor

i am beginning to believe that fields like medicine and the legal field are saturated with really low level people, from questionable institutions.

i went to court once to translate for an American guy who had his apartment broken into by a druggie. the attorney for the thief had to bring it to the attention of the fiscal that i could not be deemed to have been a witness, because i already had declared within the proceedings that i did not see the perpetrator , and was just an associate of the victim... poor guy did not even know that you have to have seen something to be deemed an eyewitness..
This is not new, but more apparent of late. I worked in government with lawyers from bottom tier U.S. universities, and it was horrible. Some could not write. Once, I corrected a labor-relations memorandum, and the lawyer asked if I were a professor or something. I laughed, and thanked her for the compliment. She could not get a cleaning job in the law schools where I served in administration.

D

Dr_Taylor

I still stand confused with regards to medical and engineering. I totally understand the over-saturation in lawyers because the USA is experiencing the same phenomena.

Doctors and engineers can find corporate sponsors in the USA and probably other countries to help them emigrate. I know it's done in some African countries because we had their natives where I worked.

The only thing I can think of is that the schools here are just diploma mills (much like Haiti) who churn out dummies for a fat fee. Is that correct or is there more?
Regretfully, many third and fourth tier U.S. universities are little more than diploma mills. I know a Fortune 20 U.S. company that seeks engineers. The pay and benefits are GREAT. The company is always looking internationally. One problem is this: The company is NOT going to take just anyone to fill a slot. A B.S.E. from Walla Walla State, standing alone, will not get you an interview.