Driving motos on the sidewalk

N

NanSanPedro

Had an incident with a moto guy on the sidewalk. He was driving on the sidewalk at least 100 feet in front of me and could have gotten off the sidewalk easy. He had to swerve to avoid me and a woman a few feet in front of me. I yelled at him big time which seemed to startle him.

I guess the question is how much do other Dominicanos tolerate this. I was the only person upset by his actions. I have seen it before but not too much. I would guess it's against the law but that doesn't matter apparently.

I probably should just acquiesce, but that's not my personality.

T

the gorgon

Had an incident with a moto guy on the sidewalk. He was driving on the sidewalk at least 100 feet in front of me and could have gotten off the sidewalk easy. He had to swerve to avoid me and a woman a few feet in front of me. I yelled at him big time which seemed to startle him.

I guess the question is how much do other Dominicanos tolerate this. I was the only person upset by his actions. I have seen it before but not too much. I would guess it's against the law but that doesn't matter apparently.

I probably should just acquiesce, but that's not my personality.

you have to learn to take it easy. if Dominicans don't give a shyte, then maybe it is time for you to go with the flow. don't burst a blood vessel, because you can't fix it. do what high class Dominicans do...avoid contact with those types, to the best of your ability.

C

cobraboy

Unwriiten Rule of Dominican Driving Culture #1: The largest vehicle has the right of way, no matter where.

In that case, a moto on the sidewalk has the right of way.

Now a big motorcycle on the same sidewalk has the RoW, and an 18-wheeler on the same strip of sidewalk wins bigly.

:cheeky:

C

ctrob

I don't think most Dom's would tolerate that. Sure, a one time thing he'd get yelled at. But he'd probably be dealt with if it was being done a repeatedly in one area.

Nobody wants to lay in a hospital for a month healing broken bones and lacerations while a moron moto guy probably doesn't even get a scratch.

T

the gorgon

I don't think most Dom's would tolerate that. Sure, a one time thing he'd get yelled at. But he'd probably be dealt with if it was being done a repeatedly in one area.

Nobody wants to lay in a hospital for a month healing broken bones and lacerations while a moron moto guy probably doesn't even get a scratch.

most Doms would not tolerate it?

so tell us why it continues to happen, unabated?

there are things people in places like the USA will not tolerate. try passing a schoolbus with the flashing lights and see how much that is tolerated...

C

ctrob

Depends on the neighborhood I guess. I don't believe a middle class Dom neighborhood would tolerate a moto repeatedly using the sidewalk for his personal racetrack.

What's the connection between a moto being tolerated on an RD sidewalk and passing a US school bus not being tolerated? Apples and Oranges.

C

chico bill

you have to learn to take it easy. if Dominicans don't give a shyte, then maybe it is time for you to go with the flow. don't burst a blood vessel, because you can't fix it. do what high class Dominicans do...avoid contact with those types, to the best of your ability.

So if a group of Doms thinks it is OK to have sex with your 13-year old cousin, just go with the flow ? Because there are areas of this island where they don't give a shyte about that, it's a right of passage.

80 years ago certain areas in the South US thought hanging black people was an acceptable form of vigilantism to cleanse society, so that would have been something to "not burst a blood vessel over," unless you were the recipient of the rope ?
How about if you were visiting Cambodia under Pol Pot - nothing to upset you..

Gorgon, sometimes I think you just like to stir the shyte....(convinced of it) - There is right and wrong in every country

T

the gorgon

Depends on the neighborhood I guess. I don't believe a middle class Dom neighborhood would tolerate a moto repeatedly using the sidewalk for his personal racetrack.

What's the connection between a moto being tolerated on an RD sidewalk and passing a US school bus not being tolerated? Apples and Oranges.

i guess the analogy is lost on you, so let me try this again.

passing a US schoolbus with the lights flashing is not tolerated. there is no equivocation. if you pass one, the punishment is swift and draconian. that is because Americans will not tolerate it.

if Dominicans had the same degree of aversion to guys riding scooters on the sidewalks, there would be consequences, a la the schoolbus situation. the fact is, they don't care, in certain places. i made sure to add that last part, because i do not think that riding bikes on the sidewalk in Bayardo would remain fashionable for long.

T

the gorgon

So if a group of Doms thinks it is OK to have sex with your 13-year old cousin, just go with the flow ? Because there are areas of this island where they don't give a shyte about that, it's a right of passage.

80 years ago certain areas in the South US thought hanging black people was an acceptable form of vigilantism to cleanse society, so that would have been something to "not burst a blood vessel over," unless you were the recipient of the rope ?
How about if you were visiting Cambodia under Pol Pot - nothing to upset you..

Gorgon, sometimes I think you just like to stir the shyte....(convinced of it) - There is right and wrong in every country

sometimes i think you are not too tightly wrapped with your responses. how do you equate someone having sex with your cousin with riding on the sidewalk?

i confess...you have lost me. there is a disconnect. try to restore contact...

C

chico bill

sometimes i think you are not too tightly wrapped with your responses. how do you equate someone having sex with your cousin with riding on the sidewalk?

i confess...you have lost me. there is a disconnect. try to restore contact...

Both are not legal.
Ignore one law, ignore the next - lack of respect. Both are violations against others, just different degrees.
As they say it's a slippery slope.

T

the gorgon

Both are not legal.
Ignore one law, ignore the next - lack of respect. Both are violations against others, just different degrees.

i cannot believe that you are trying to establish some kind of equivalency between pedophilia, a horrific FELONY, with riding a scooter on the sidewalk, a road traffic violation.

is that your version of some broken windows idea?

i ignore jaywalking laws, at times. does that indicate that i am probably going to murder a few folks any day now?

C

chico bill

i cannot believe that you are trying to establish some kind of equivalency between pedophilia, a horrific FELONY, with riding a scooter on the sidewalk, a road traffic violation.

is that your version of some broken windows idea?

i ignore jaywalking laws, at times. does that indicate that i am probably going to murder a few folks any day now?

Jaywalking you get hit (your bad), ride a moto on the sidewalk you endanger others.
My mother, now passed, got hit by in the crosswalk by a guy with a suspended license an no insurance (who was making out with his girlfriend and didn't see her) when he hit her - it broke her leg and permanently crippled her at 45 years old. She suffered 55 more years because of his defiance of the law - yes there are broken windows consequences .

D

Derfish

Both are not legal.

Every set of laws ever written takes into mind degrees of illegal. Anyone crazy enuff to think riding a motorcycle on the sidewalk is the same as raping a child probably needs to be locked up for their own good.As one gets used to tyhe traffic patterns in the area that one uses one learns where the local locos are prone to go the wrong way on a particular lane or hit the side walk for a short ways. I could name a dozen particular spots where the traffic flow is natural instead of trying to follow the idiotic streams imposed upon traffic by the way it is marked. So I just do as the locals do!
Derfish

T

the gorgon

Every set of laws ever written takes into mind degrees of illegal. Anyone crazy enuff to think riding a motorcycle on the sidewalk is the same as raping a child probably needs to be locked up for their own good.As one gets used to tyhe traffic patterns in the area that one uses one learns where the local locos are prone to go the wrong way on a particular lane or hit the side walk for a short ways. I could name a dozen particular spots where the traffic flow is natural instead of trying to follow the idiotic streams imposed upon traffic by the way it is marked. So I just do as the locals do!
Derfish

thanks for doing what i could not bother to do. i am not going to get into a back and forth with a guy who believes that raping a child and riding on the sidewalk are equivalently egregious.

C

chico bill

Derfish

But then you may be the one to hit an innocent and accused of violating the posted direction ?
The ones I would like to see removed of their motos are the wheelie boys who are just one child or elderly lady stepping off the curb away from killing someone and also the persistent red light runners.

And no i was not equating rape to wrong way traffic but equating thumbing your nose at laws to satisfy your own desire

D

Derfish

But then you may be the one to hit an innocent and accused of violating the posted direction ?
The ones I would like to see removed of their motos are the wheelie boys who are just one child or elderly lady stepping off the curb away from killing someone and also the persistent red light runners.

And no i was not equating rape to wrong way traffic but equating thumbing your nose at laws to satisfy your own desire

Still need to see your doctor and not the doctor that has you take off your shoes, the problem is on the other end!

A

AlterEgo

A few days ago, one of my husband’s brothers was standing on a sidewalk in Santo Domingo talking to someone. A moto hit him, and he had to be taken to Dario Contreras trauma hospital (he was hit on Churchill/Jose Contreras ). His leg required 50 stitches and he’s in pain.