Dominican American forgot twins in hot car

F

frank recktenwald

I read about that over the weekend, heartbreaking and so fricking stupid!
How can one forget his children? :ermm:

N

NanSanPedro

I read about that over the weekend, heartbreaking and so fricking stupid!
How can one forget his children? :ermm:

He's an iraqi vet. While it's heartbreaking and something he must live with the rest of his life, stupid is not the word I would use.

Walk a mile...

F

frank recktenwald

He's an iraqi vet. While it's heartbreaking and something he must live with the rest of his life, stupid is not the word I would use.

Walk a mile...

I would never be able to walk in his shoes, I don't forget about my child.
Don't get me wrong I really feel for the guy but it was stupid and it cost his kids their lives, a horrible thing having to live with yes.

C

carlos

Disabled veteran according to the gofundme page set up.

Very tragic.

A

AlterEgo

It happens all too frequently. Read the article. People get distracted when their mind wanders. He brought his other boy to childcare first. I’ve read he’s totally distraught and on suicide watch.

W

william webster

he is seeking help as to how he could have been so confused....
from the latest report I read

J

josh2203

It happens all too frequently. Read the article. People get distracted when their mind wanders. He brought his other boy to childcare first. I’ve read he’s totally distraught and on suicide watch.

Yes, I've also noted that this happens very frequently and everywhere. I travel mostly with 1-2 small ones in the backseat and I just cannot understand what has happened to this parent. How on earth can he not notice who is he with in the car. I don't enter nor exit the vehicle without looking to backseat, never have.

Other question is that why nobody at the daycare noticed the missing kid(s)...

The article says that he drove the car for 10 minutes after working before realizing that there are two small ones not breathing with him...

Very sad and unfortunate...

K

keepcoming

As parents one gets distracted, but I don't know about forgetting you have children (babies) in the car. When I get in my car (any car) I check the back and when I get out I always take a last look. Not to mention the time it takes to load children into the car, car seats, diaper bags, etc...kind of hard to forget they are in the car. I see car makers coming out in the future with something that dings (or similar) to remind one to check. I mean it (the car) reminds us of seatbelts, airbags, etc.... I cant even imagine how him and the family are coping with this.

P

playacaribe2

Starting in 2022, Hyundai will have sensors in the back seats of their cars to detect heavy objects left in those vehicles.

And yes, the intent is exactly for the reasons outlined in this story.

Respectfully
Playacaribe2

R

rfp

You know what ... life is so busy and hectic I kind of get it. The poor guy has 5 kids a Dominican Wife and lives in New York, thats a lot of stress.

His life and his families' is ruined and he will have to live with this everyday, that feels like enough punishment. I truly feel sick for this guy

A year and a half ago I was on a work call in the car with my wife texting me to pick something up at Publix and a million work emails coming in. Our little one was sleeping in the back. I stopped in the parking lot kept talking on the phone and went into the store without even recognizing that she was still sleeping in the back. It was only 5 minutes but a complete brain fart as a result of being completely fried mentally.

I kind of understand

C

Cdn_Gringo

You guys have to work too hard for too little. Thankfully, Canada now has legislation that employees can use to end emails from work during their off time. Frazzled or not, you still have to prioritize your responsibilities and make a conscious decision to turn off the phone if that is a major stressor.

Definitely one of too many similar tragic situations. I don't recall one that was unpreventable though. Parenting is a responsibility with a specific mindset and level of attention required all the time.

At least here in the DR, this shouldn't happen too often, cuz the child will usually fall off the pasola when you park and use the kickstand.

C

cavok

So tragic. I don't think I could live with myself it that were me. I'd probably be suicidal.

C

Caonabo

Perhaps some should focus less on distractions, and more on what matters in life. There is ZERO excuse to "forget" your children.....ever. Factor in the children being only 7 months old. Dependent upon you, and you leave them in a car alone for eight hours in 37 degree Celsius temperatures? No excuses.
I do not feel bad for this negligent parent. I feel bad for the innocent two babies who suffered due to his negligence. Some will not agree with this assessment, but it is mine, and I stick to it.

D

Derfish

Perhaps some should focus less on distractions, and more on what matters in life. There is ZERO excuse to "forget" your children.....ever. Factor in the children being only 7 months old. Dependent upon you, and you leave them in a car alone for eight hours in 37 degree Celsius temperatures? No excuses.
I do not feel bad for this negligent parent. I feel bad for the innocent two babies who suffered due to his negligence. Some will not agree with this assessment, but it is mine, and I stick to it.

My bro in law walked away and left his baby sitting on the ground in a corn field once. She was less than a year old. "Chuck where is Holli ?" His wife asked, and he looked sheepish and said I must have set her down. Went back into the corn and there she was playing with the grass!
Derfish

R

Ramen

My bro in law walked away and left his baby sitting on the ground in a corn field once. She was less than a year old. "Chuck where is Holli ?" His wife asked, and he looked sheepish and said I must have set her down. Went back into the corn and there she was playing with the grass!
Derfish

What a scary moment right there! It's almost like the man did not understand what a baby is. I hope that's changed for the better.

W

william webster

Children left to die in hot cars: accident or crime?

It’s a nightmarish phenomenon that claims about three dozen lives a year across the country: Children dead of heatstroke after being forgotten in cars. A man who left his 1-year-old twins in a hot car in the Bronx last week has been charged with manslaughter, but the charges were at odds with similar cases.
The deaths show the fraught nature of the issues facing prosecutors when deciding whether to indict grieving parents. Factors include scientific questions about faulty memory, and legal considerations about whether the state can prove the parent is guilty of a crime.
“Like most things, it’s never black and white,” one prosecutor said.
Closer look: The deaths are typically caused by a glitch in how the human memory operates, said a psychology professor who studies such cases. When people drive familiar routes, they can forget they had made a plan.

P

PJT

Throw a stone.

"When people drive familiar routes, they can forget."

Think many of us seniors can relate with, is how many times have we been preoccupied, late for work or other business; leave the house in a hurry with the *iron still on? If you all done it, raise your hand.

We can make connection to this. Leaving the iron on usually does not have the tragic consequences of forgetting children in a car. When there are children in the formula, of course there has to be more "F"nn alertness.

The father is suffering the suffering and deaths of his children and his own negligence. This poster will not be the first to throw a stone.

May the children RIP!

Regards,

PJT

*nowadays irons have auto shutoff

E

ese tipo

Pilots have checklists, Surgeons on occasion, sew up patients and leave behind instruments, nuclear reactors at the helm of the most qualified and highly trained engineers melt down.Psychiatrists after having treated patients often themselves see...psychiatrists.The human brain, for however far we want to push the envelope will forever be mired in mystery.If you've ever walked into another room and forgotten what you went in there for, or like me set a timer for 45 minutes and forget what the timer was for...You too, can be in the position that this family is now and forever will be mournful for.Not at all saying that if you forget your keys, you'll forget your kids that would be comparing apples and oranges, and no way in hell could you make a correlation! just saying we don't know how or why our brains operate in that manner, and may very well never know. I pray to god this never happens again, but sadly we know it will.

My take on this matter is while I see this young man in agony and complete and sincere grief, I think he has to serve some time, if only as a deterrent to some sickos who.may think it can be a forgiven crime, he should go to jail.With that in mind, there is no prison, no sentence, no punishment that will equal the unending reminder of how his and his families live were forever changed for the worst on that ugly day!

D

Derfish

What a scary moment right there! It's almost like the man did not understand what a baby is. I hope that's changed for the better.

She is now 56 years old and he died of cancer at 52.