Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 38
  1. #1
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    22,007
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default The Two Residency Threads

    Winging it & Frequent Overstayer
    These two threads generate a lot of interest and controversy... naturally.

    We all have opinions....often differing

    Opinions are one thing - making recommendations/telling others to ignore the rules is another matter.
    Offering opinions and giving directives are VERY different animals!!

    It amazes me when people say -
    Screw the system, flaunt it -
    I don't care what the law says---etc
    The country is too dumb to figure it out

    This isn't responsible - IMO

    I participate in other forums where this topic is discussed...
    The conversations there are more civil.

    The reason (or part of the reason ) is the moderators will not tolerate anything that flagrantly flouts the laws.

    Opinions are welcomed -
    but any suggestions otherwise are quickly shut down
    Hence, the conversations never deteriorate to what we have here.

    I am not the only person with 'dual' membership
    Several of us float between the 2 sites.

    Just serving up my thoughts......

  2. Likes irishpaddy liked this post
  3. #2
    Regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    235
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm amazed that so many on here want to keep imposing their views on others and the lengths they will go to to try and accomplish that!

    Why is it so important that everyone does things as you would?

    What a boring world that would make....

  4. Likes Garyexpat, rogerjac, Harleysrock liked this post
    Dislikes AlaninDR disliked this post
  5. #3
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    28,751
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
    I'm amazed that so many on here want to keep imposing their views on others and the lengths they will go to to try and accomplish that!

    Why is it so important that everyone does things as you would?

    What a boring world that world make....
    It is not the issue of people doing what they want that concerns me. Putting themselves at some risk does not concern me. That is their personal decision.

    It is the people that advise others to ignore the laws of the land that is troubling. It is far better to know what the laws are, inform them of the laws, and let them decide on that basis.

  6. Likes irishpaddy liked this post
  7. #4
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    22,007
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    That's my point Windy --- exactly that

    I realize that for many here , English isn't the first language and responses can get garbled - unintentionally

    But what we hear from people here - scofflaws perhaps... Whew!
    I get it...many people like playing the role of The Rebel... Devil may care attitude..... OK
    But why try to convert others ??

    As I say - they are censured on the other forum for such behaviour

  8. #5
    Regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    235
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    It is not the issue of people doing what they want that concerns me. Putting themselves at some risk does not concern me. That is their personal decision.

    It is the people that advise others to ignore the laws of the land that is troubling. It is far better to know what the laws are, inform them of the laws, and let them decide on that basis.
    But you do it every, single, thread..post...it's nauseating LOL.

    NOT a personal attack...or any kind of attack but some observations:

    You guys, and for the sake of my sanity I'll lump you all together even though we all know you're autonomous, have made your opinions clear, and anyone worth assisting will be able to figure that out without all the constant judging and "reminding".

    Others have differing opinions and should not be judged or insulted for that, and allowed "equal time" without the badgering.

    Who made you dudes "The Sheriff" and why should the rest of us have to put up with having your opinions on everything be forced upon us? It's like the same group of vocal and opinionated posters takes it upon themselves to "correct" everyone, argue with everyone of dissenting opinion until they give up.

    It's ruining any remaining value of DR1 as a source of information IMO and that of many others...

    Well, that was a LOT more than I'd intended to say and than most will want to read so I'll leave it there. Get the knives out and have at it!

  9. Likes Harleysrock liked this post
    Dislikes AlaninDR disliked this post
  10. #6
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    774
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    some people want it both ways …..enforce these laws but ignore these ones ...and be happy with all tourists /overstayers

  11. #7
    Regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    235
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    That's my point Windy --- exactly that

    I realize that for many here , English isn't the first language and responses can get garbled - unintentionally

    But what we hear from people here - scofflaws perhaps... Whew!
    I get it...many people like playing the role of The Rebel... Devil may care attitude..... OK
    But why try to convert others ??

    As I say - they are censured on the other forum for such behaviour
    But...is it any of "your" business? Why are your opinions more valid?

  12. Likes Harleysrock liked this post
  13. #8
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,329
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    Winging it & Frequent Overstayer
    These two threads generate a lot of interest and controversy... naturally.

    We all have opinions....often differing

    Opinions are one thing - making recommendations/telling others to ignore the rules is another matter.
    Offering opinions and giving directives are VERY different animals!!

    It amazes me when people say -
    Screw the system, flaunt it -
    I don't care what the law says---etc
    The country is too dumb to figure it out

    This isn't responsible - IMO

    I participate in other forums where this topic is discussed...
    The conversations there are more civil.

    The reason (or part of the reason ) is the moderators will not tolerate anything that flagrantly flouts the laws.

    Opinions are welcomed -
    but any suggestions otherwise are quickly shut down
    Hence, the conversations never deteriorate to what we have here.

    I am not the only person with 'dual' membership
    Several of us float between the 2 sites.

    Just serving up my thoughts......
    Maybe I missed it but I have not seen anyone write:
    Screw the system, flaunt it -
    I don't care what the law says---etc
    The country is too dumb to figure it out

    Others that think that I do simply state there are no verified accounts of people being rejected for solely overstaying while at the same time there is a plethora of proof from over stayers NOT having any problems. (I have offered to meet with you nay sayers to prove it.
    I am not in the business of giving advice to others, if asked I would simply state there is a law which UP TO NOW is not being enforced and the Gov. supplies a method to be able to leave after your overstay without any penalty in addition to the overstay fee itself.
    I think that the moderators are in the right by allowing my opinion and others of my thinking to express what is not only our opinion but our experiences which can be verified, unlike these "some guy" stories.

  14. Likes Polar Bear, drstock, Caonabo liked this post
  15. #9
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    36,882
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Many of us live here 24/7/365 and will be buried here.

    We are the ones who have to live with the laws while hoping cultural evolution makes the Dominican Republic a more civil environment where people respect each other.

    The keystone of any civil society is a social contract where reasonable laws are agreed upon, disseminated to the public, and the public abides by those laws. I am not takling about a heavy-handed legal structure where everyone walks on eggshells like in the states, Canuckia or the EU, where it is nearly impossible to live even a day without violating some law with severe consequences of caught by a massive police force or bureaucracy. Just a basic respect of property, life and person. Don't steal. Don't run red lights. Be responsible for your actions and liability thereof. Don't put others in harm.

    Part of that respect for a civil society is a respect for the sovereignty of that country and their laws.

    But some come to the DR specifically to not be part of a civil society, to not obey the laws as written. They would never consider violating the laws in their home country as in the DR, so maybe the DR is where they blow off steam, to let their true id escape. In this regard they fit the definition of "Outlaw", and many flaunt the fact the "tourist" in the DR is a protected class. They have no respect for the sovereignty of the DR, nor it's culture and social contract.

    The irony is many of the very people who are DR Outlaws, are the ones who complain the loudest about the negative side of the culture and the lack of honesty of Dominicans and the culture.

    And as long as these tourist "Outlaws" can party how they want an screw who they want without recrimination, they could not care less about those who live here, and how their collective behavior just perpetuates a less civil society.

    At the same time I ask a rhetorical question: If a law is not enforced, does it even exist?
    Cabin Attendant,
    Augusto Pinochet Helicopter Tours

  16. Likes beeza, AlaninDR liked this post
  17. #10
    Platinum
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    11,910
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The exit penalty fee is not a means to legally avoid overstaying without the correct and proper legal means (as in extensions).

    It was introduced because like many other countries (USA, EU, etc...) at the time found it nearly impossible to track all foreigners and their stays. It wasn't until later that many countries adopted the renewal of passport books with the same number assigned always. Nor was it possible to keep a database with no limitations, as queries would had taken hours or days to match on those identifiers provided as input.

    The DR found a simple workaround to a simple problem, given the bulk of the violators came from across the border, not in a boat or plane.

    Now we have the technology and the means to apply a solution that provides both tracking and weeding out of the human corruptible factor in the chain.

    The changes to the entry stamp, are one way to warn foreigners of the enforcement soon to come. This is not targeted to tourists, but overstayers.

    The exit penalty fee has no legal standing, nor does it provide any to the violation in the first place. Just because you paid it, doesn't mean it's not going to be an issue down the line.

    Key word here being enforcement. And as you know, many changes already have been introduced in the past years, almost overnight.
    One Dominican at a time please!


  18. Likes AlaninDR liked this post
    Dislikes Derfish disliked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •