Fixed Income Instruments in the DR

Pancho

May 23, 2002
Investing in the DR:

Hey guys, I am new to this forum and have found some of the subjects and topics very interesting, particularly those dealing with business in the DR. I would like to post a question and would appreciate your sincere opinion:

I am thinking of going to the DR for a few months (or perhaps a year) and have started planning my finances. One of the things I've been contemplating is to deposit part of my money in the bank to receive a fix interest rate during my stay. I understand that the rates are currently hovering at about 16% per annum. Given the low levels of interest in the US and other international markets, I thought that the return in the DR look pretty attractive. Assuming that inflation stays as it is (5-7%year) I still think that the risk/reward trade-off is still in my favor.

Are there any other factors (like exchange rates) that you consider critical in making such a decision? Assuming that you have no other knowledge of where else to put your money in the DR, would you do it? Are there any other low risk fixed income alternative that you would recommend?

Thank you

Pancho Pincha

MikeKO

Apr 12, 2002
Only convert the amount of money you think you will spend. Keep the rest in $US.

Mike

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
there has been lots of discussion on this topic, with no precise conclusion made.

Check the archives or join in on the currently running thread, "Some curiousities about the DR economy "