New here

D

drummerdave

Hey guys.
Just thought I'd post an intro thread.

I live in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, and Im sick and tired of the winters.
Looking for a place to try to spend a few months when it gets cold here - at least if I can convince my employer to allow it. Im a software developer, so its fully possible to do from a technical standpoint.
Anyway, we visited DR and it felt like Mexican Mayan Riviera did before the cartels ruined it.

So, given the cost of living there, it's currently top of the heap for me.

I'll probably annoy you all for a while.

C

Cdn_Gringo

Looking for a place to try to spend a few months when it gets cold here

The other lads have picked up the slack of late, so it must be my turn.

Your Legal options are as follows:

1) Apply for and get an extended stay visa from the DR Consulate nearest you.

2) Come down on the standard (included in airfare) 30 day tourist card and schlep to Santo Domingo before it expires to apply for an additional 30 day extension.

3) Stay for 29 days, leave the country for a day or two and then come back for an additional 30 days.

Your non-legal options:

1) Come down on a 30 day tourist card and be an illegal alien for the portion of your stay thereafter. You will have to pay a token penalty at the airport when you leave, will have your overstay noted on your newly created immigration file and you will have to keep in the back of your mind that you don't have a legal foot to stand on should such a situation arise after your first 30 days in country.

Good Luck.

D

Derfish

Good to have you onboard. I lived in the UP as a young child, myself.
Derfish

W

william webster

I used to live across the lake from you (Huron) on the Cdn side close to Pt Huron

Taught my children to ski on the UP

D

drummerdave

Wow, I didnt realize they didnt have a 90 day visa like (nearly) everybody else does. Hmm.

D

drummerdave

Did I post this in Tech help? IF so, sorry. Thought I was in new member intros.

K

KyleMackey

Hey guys.

Looking for a place to try to spend a few months when it gets cold here - at least if I can convince my employer to allow it. Im a software developer, so its fully possible to do from a technical standpoint.
Anyway, we visited DR and it felt like Mexican Mayan Riviera did before the cartels ruined it.

I could not imagine those winters lol. Michigan is awesome in the Summer though. Did a lot of military training at Grayling.

D

drummerdave

They are painful, and so gawd-awful long.
But yes, summers are perfect, all 3 days of it.

D

Dr_Taylor

Hey guys.

Welcome to the board. I do understand when you speak of Michigan winters, although I never visited the UP.