Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Wall of Factories

As posted within DR1 Daily News - Wednesday, 7 August 2019.....

Build a Wall of Factories on the Border with Haiti

Senator Dionis Sánchez (PLD-Pedernales) proposed the construction of a wall made up by manufacturing plants operating on the border with Haiti. He said this would benefit both Dominicans and Haitians living in the border area. As reported in El Nacional newspaper, Sánchez called for a campaign to get international assistance to build the factories that create the jobs for Haitians and Dominicans.

"We have called attention to the border area, to what border controls have to be, to the business and trade opportunities, but that these be legal," said the congressman, insisting on the boost to manufacturing in the border area.

He said Dominicans have lived with their backs to the border. He praised efforts of the present authorities to increase controls on the border using technology.

He added: "What happens is that the border situation is not so easy. When you share the border with a country that lags in development, political stability, economics, there will always be strong pressure from that country to migrate."

The senator from Pedernales explained that Haiti's demographic growth is out of control. He said Haiti does not keep statistics. Official estimates are that at least 60% of the Haitian population is undocumented.

"That is a problem that we must define to analyze how we act. There has been talk of a wall, of 20,000 things. I say, let's build a wall of industries along the entire border, and I'm not going to get tired of saying it," Sánchez said.

https://elnacional.com.do/senador-di...n-la-frontera/

2. Likes cobraboy, Russell liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Excellent conceptual idea.

Aren't the Capellans and Vicini's building a mega free zone type complex on the border somewhere? Maybe the Dajabon area?
    Cabin Attendant,
    Augusto Pinochet Helicopter Tours

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

The Dominican's biggest fear is Haitians crossing illegally even if they support... Industries will be good because it would increase the amount of jobs available.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cobraboy View Post
    Excellent conceptual idea.

Aren't the Capellans and Vicini's building a mega free zone type complex on the border somewhere? Maybe the Dajabon area?
    I thought the same when I heard of it. Instead of the same blame game and stalemates that last for generations, globally, this senator proposed an interesting concept. How it would play out in tandem with the Haitians is the big unknown, but as far as the RD is concerned this region is desperate for the jobs.

I myself am unaware of the Capellans and Vicini's building a mega free zone type complex on the border. This does not mean it is not in the works, just that I have not heard of it.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ramen View Post
    The Dominican's biggest fear is Haitians crossing illegally even if they support... Industries will be good because it would increase the amount of jobs available.
    The biggest fear would not be illegal Haitian crossings, but rather violence between Haitians and Dominicans that close to the border.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

such a familiar debate

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Caonabo View Post
    I thought the same when I heard of it. Instead of the same blame game and stalemates that last for generations, globally, this senator proposed an interesting concept. How it would play out in tandem with the Haitians is the big unknown, but as far as the RD is concerned this region is desperate for the jobs.

I myself am unaware of the Capellans and Vicini's building a mega free zone type complex on the border. This does not mean it is not in the works, just that I have not heard of it.
    Some details: https://listindiario.com/la-republic...ico-binacional

I'm not sure where the project is in the development cycle. Certainly, between the Vicini's and Grupo M there is plenty of financial horsepower.
    Cabin Attendant,
    Augusto Pinochet Helicopter Tours

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    such a familiar debate
    Care to expand?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Caonabo;1967501]Care to expand?[/QUOTE

I think u know

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cobraboy View Post
    Some details: https://listindiario.com/la-republic...ico-binacional

I'm not sure where the project is in the development cycle. Certainly, between the Vicini's and Grupo M there is plenty of financial horsepower.
    The article piece is from four years ago. That perhaps provides you with an answer in of itself.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast