Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

As posted within DR1 Daily News - Thursday, 8 August 2019.....

Intrant: Training for Responsible Driving

The National Transport and Transit Institute (Intrant) and the Ground Transport Agency (Digesett) want better controls of drinking and driving in the country. They announced the start of the use of alcohol testers on the road as of Friday, 9 August 2019 to educate about not driving under the influence.

The executive director of Intrant, Claudia Franchesca De los Santos is giving drivers more time to think twice about drinking and driving. She said fines will not be applied in this introductory phase.

Local alcohol control staff has received training from the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR), the International Alliance for Responsible Drinking (IARD) and the Center for the Training of Authorities and Leaders (CIFAL).

https://elnuevodiario.com.do/intrant...santo-domingo/

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    lol .. OK so they test a driver and he is drunk, then they will say as El Rey indicated pay us and go. If they don't have pesos they will just say go. I thought drinking and driving was a national pass time second only to baseball. At night every other moto driver has been drinking.
    Actually, it was the passing of some notable professional baseball players that brought this issue to the forefront.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Caonabo View Post
    Actually, it was the passing of some notable professional baseball players that brought this issue to the forefront.
    I guess it is based on good intentions. You get caught in Durban SA or most States on the east coast, your 1st offense with attorneys fees, fines, insurance rates, etc, will be between 5 and 10 thousand U.S. Don't pay it and you go to jail.
    I have NEVER ever heard of anyone being fined or incarcerated here for drunk driving. I am sure it has happened, but it is rare.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Will AMET now be working longer hours......because unless your AMET in the Capital or Santiago, AMET is like a 9 - 5 more or less gig....well at least the degenerate drinkers might be affected which come to think of it is quite substantial in this country......so they got that goin for them.......which is nice....

5. Likes drstock, zoomzx11 liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    The agency was different then....
    Things have changed - witness the new system for fines-

https://www.diariolibre.com/actualidad/ … edium=push

In the name of AMET, they have tried before having bought 1200 breath testers several years ago and rarely used them.

DIGESETT plan to start testing drivers in Santo Domingo on Friday to evaluate the problem of drink driving and in the initial days they will be aiming to educate drivers away from drink driving and not issuing fines. Rather strange approach because the stated aim is to reduce accidents and we all know drink driving is a huge problem in DR. Fines will follow though - most other countries include driving bans too for drink driving and penalty points. Suggests a lack of belief in success from the outset to me.

They plan to extend the drink driving testing little by little.
    The key will be if the kits require batteries.
    If we do not drink and drive then how will we get home?
    Drinking and driving is entrenched in Dominican culture and it not ending anytime soon.
    Another great Dominican plan doomed to failure.
    What is the issue here? A cop cannot tell if you are drunk?

7. Likes JDJones liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    I guess it is based on good intentions. You get caught in Durban SA or most States on the east coast, your 1st offense with attorneys fees, fines, insurance rates, etc, will be between 5 and 10 thousand U.S. Don't pay it and you go to jail.
    I have NEVER ever heard of anyone being fined or incarcerated here for drunk driving. I am sure it has happened, but it is rare.
    I'm curious, do they test for that after serious accidents?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fulano2 View Post
    Please hold my Brugal while I do the test officer, thank you. And keep the change.
    I would add to this

While your holding my Brugal feel free to indulge as long as you leave a little taste for me.

10. Likes Fulano2, zoomzx11 liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cdn_Gringo View Post
    ... assuming they can get drivers to stop long enough to be tested. Once Amet knows a driver is impaired, it would be irresponsible to let that driver carry on their way with just a warning. At the very least the vehicle needs to be seized for 24 hours and the driver sent on their way in the backseat of a taxi.
    Keep praying, maybe one day your prayers will be answered.....................

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

refuse to take the test ?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Caonabo View Post
    Extranjeros should be concerned about this more than 30 day stays.
    AMET: "Hang on, let's see that passport, compadre. Oh my, looks like you're a chronic overstayer - whatever can we do about this delicate situation??"

Gringo: "Doah!!"

14. Likes Big liked this post
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast