Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Security Costs at Casa Linda

Hi everyone,

An administration of foreign ownership has been contracted to create a security service for about 131 houses. They are collectively charging 31000 USD per month. They provide two manned checkpoints and maybe a security guard or two that walk past the houses every hour or so. Since 2014 the cost have gone up nearly 15000 USD without any noticable changes. Can the experts of the forum comment on if security wages are in fact around 3000 USD month or is the administration stealing the money and just paying the Dominican employees less.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

What is your total HOA monthly cost?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

There is no HOA.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

That's a ton of money for just security.

I'm not familiar with Casa Linda, who pays for common area lights and upkeep, garbage pickup, water, street maintenance, etc?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not that familiar either, just learning about the charges before buying. I would imagine water and garbage pick up would be other charges.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

If the owners are in fact being charged $31K USD per month, for just security as you described, two manned posts and one or two guards patrolling, you are being taken to the cleaners.

Lomas Maronas has 8 guards for around $4K USD per month. If however, the figure you quoted is really for the entire year, then, based on the size of the community and the actual number of guards onsite wouldn't be worth having heart palpitations over. Per month, your figure can't be right - if it is, then it is not reflective of the actual costs for security alone.

7. Likes Garyexpat liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Figure roughly a guard costs at least $300-400 per month in salary and misc costs (holidays, liquidation, etc). Add in security camera costs, monitoring, and supervision. If as you say it’s an external company providing the service, add in a profit margin.

You can probably roughly calculate true cost if you know the number of guards. 4 guards per shift, 3 shifts, 12x300 to400 each= $3600 to $4800 a month. If my salary number is off, I’m sure multiple people will correct me.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cdn_Gringo View Post
    If the owners are in fact being charged $31K USD per month, for just security as you described, two manned posts and one or two guards patrolling, you are being taken to the cleaners.

Lomas Maronas has 8 guards for around $4K USD per month. If however, the figure you quoted is really for the entire year, then, based on the size of the community and the actual number of guards onsite wouldn't be worth having heart palpitations over. Per month, your figure can't be right - if it is, then it is not reflective of the actual costs for security alone.
    There is a two story house listed at 339000 of interest. Looks like a good house to negotiate. Yes based on the information given, the small area of around 131 houses pays about 31000 USD per month, for maybe 8-12 security gaurds. The company doing the property management also manages other locations with similar troubles.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by George101 View Post
    There is a two story house listed at 339000 of interest. Looks like a good house to negotiate. Yes based on the information given, the small area of around 131 houses pays about 31000 USD per month, for maybe 8-12 security gaurds. The company doing the property management also manages other locations with similar troubles.
    If the 131 houses are paying $31000 a month for security only... well I think you will find they are not.

They might be paying $31000 a month for security, common area maintenance and electricity, garbage collection, road maintenance, administrative management, common internet, generator maintenance, yard care and other community services. At $236 a month per property, that’s perhaps not too bad depending what is provided.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

When you move to DR, no Spanish, no knowledge much of the culture, laws, anything really, and have to rely on an "Everything [name your town] website for where to buy milk and an ironing board, and you want to live in a place that feels like Florida so you are not inconvenienced by Dominican culture, then you can expect to pay.

12. Likes zoomzx11, beeza, Harleysrock liked this post
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast