Security Costs at Casa Linda

G

George101

Hi everyone,

An administration of foreign ownership has been contracted to create a security service for about 131 houses. They are collectively charging 31000 USD per month. They provide two manned checkpoints and maybe a security guard or two that walk past the houses every hour or so. Since 2014 the cost have gone up nearly 15000 USD without any noticable changes. Can the experts of the forum comment on if security wages are in fact around 3000 USD month or is the administration stealing the money and just paying the Dominican employees less.

C

ctrob

That's a ton of money for just security.

I'm not familiar with Casa Linda, who pays for common area lights and upkeep, garbage pickup, water, street maintenance, etc?

G

George101

I'm not that familiar either, just learning about the charges before buying. I would imagine water and garbage pick up would be other charges.

C

Cdn_Gringo

If the owners are in fact being charged $31K USD per month, for just security as you described, two manned posts and one or two guards patrolling, you are being taken to the cleaners.

Lomas Maronas has 8 guards for around $4K USD per month. If however, the figure you quoted is really for the entire year, then, based on the size of the community and the actual number of guards onsite wouldn't be worth having heart palpitations over. Per month, your figure can't be right - if it is, then it is not reflective of the actual costs for security alone.

C

CFA123

Figure roughly a guard costs at least $300-400 per month in salary and misc costs (holidays, liquidation, etc). Add in security camera costs, monitoring, and supervision. If as you say it’s an external company providing the service, add in a profit margin.

You can probably roughly calculate true cost if you know the number of guards. 4 guards per shift, 3 shifts, 12x300 to400 each= $3600 to $4800 a month. If my salary number is off, I’m sure multiple people will correct me.

G

George101

If the owners are in fact being charged $31K USD per month, for just security as you described, two manned posts and one or two guards patrolling, you are being taken to the cleaners.

Lomas Maronas has 8 guards for around $4K USD per month. If however, the figure you quoted is really for the entire year, then, based on the size of the community and the actual number of guards onsite wouldn't be worth having heart palpitations over. Per month, your figure can't be right - if it is, then it is not reflective of the actual costs for security alone.

There is a two story house listed at 339000 of interest. Looks like a good house to negotiate. Yes based on the information given, the small area of around 131 houses pays about 31000 USD per month, for maybe 8-12 security gaurds. The company doing the property management also manages other locations with similar troubles.

C

CFA123

There is a two story house listed at 339000 of interest. Looks like a good house to negotiate. Yes based on the information given, the small area of around 131 houses pays about 31000 USD per month, for maybe 8-12 security gaurds. The company doing the property management also manages other locations with similar troubles.

If the 131 houses are paying $31000 a month for security only... well I think you will find they are not.

They might be paying $31000 a month for security, common area maintenance and electricity, garbage collection, road maintenance, administrative management, common internet, generator maintenance, yard care and other community services. At $236 a month per property, that’s perhaps not too bad depending what is provided.

E

El Rey de Mangu

When you move to DR, no Spanish, no knowledge much of the culture, laws, anything really, and have to rely on an "Everything [name your town] website for where to buy milk and an ironing board, and you want to live in a place that feels like Florida so you are not inconvenienced by Dominican culture, then you can expect to pay.

C

cavok

$31,000/mo USD just for security sounds high.. At my condo we use one of the more well known security companies here on the North Coast. Cost - $1700/mo USD for 2 security guards. It's actually like two and a quarter since one other guard is needed to fill-in for days off.

Z

zoomzx11

Have to agree with El Rey.
When i was house shopping I nearly bought a home in Hispaniola. It was like $220k or in that neighborhood.
My wife kept silent through all the negotiations. As we got close I asked her what she thought of the idea.
I though she would be delighted at living in a protected safe area on a hill overlooking the ocean.
I was mistaken and she was waiting for me to ask.
End result is I bought way more house for way less money in a nice neighborhood, not gated.
Never have had any issues. We have a fence and dogs and we do not leave the home unoccupied.
If you move to the DR and want to live like you did in the US you will spend a fortune and the prices for all the services will go up and up and there is nothing you can do about it.
Other way to go is buy a condo.
I do not like condos myself but being able to lock the door and walk away is nice.

E

El Rey de Mangu

Silly casa linda. Mass built simple homes with silly coralina tile. Tile for save the whales gringos with no taste. Not even good landscaping. The house nextdoor rented to the boys from hotLanta with pUtas in and out all night.

U

USA DOC

Hi everyone,

An administration of foreign ownership has been contracted to create a security service for about 131 houses. They are collectively charging 31000 USD per month. They provide two manned checkpoints and maybe a security guard or two that walk past the houses every hour or so. Since 2014 the cost have gone up nearly 15000 USD without any noticable changes. Can the experts of the forum comment on if security wages are in fact around 3000 USD month or is the administration stealing the money and just paying the Dominican employees less.

...No expert here....if you think they are stealing,yes they are...how much should be the question.,..............

H

Harleysrock

Make sure that the house has a deslinde bc some in there do not have one. Also make sure your neighbors don't rent it out to party people. I would go on the weekend during the day and night to see what it's like. There are quiet areas in there and not so quiet areas, I would be ****ed if i bought in there and was stuck with annoying loud vacay renters all the time next door. The neighbors are close....
The same people who killed my friend in a home invasion robbed in there as well, I think they put more guards in there but know you ALWAYS have to be in charge of your own security no matter where you are.

Lots love living in Casa Linda :)

E

El Rey de Mangu

Make sure that the house has a deslinde bc some in there do not have one. Also make sure your neighbors don't rent it out to party people. I would go on the weekend during the day and night to see what it's like. There are quiet areas in there and not so quiet areas, I would be ****ed if i bought in there and was stuck with annoying loud vacay renters all the time next door. The neighbors are close....
The same people who killed my friend in a home invasion robbed in there as well, I think they put more guards in there but know you ALWAYS have to be in charge of your own security no matter where you are.

Lots love living in Casa Linda :)

Wasnt that la mulata? If youre a moron and want to live here you need to know its not Kansas. Just ask old man Von Tinteren or Daryl Fornitura

Z

zoomzx11

Silly casa linda. Mass built simple homes with silly coralina tile. Tile for save the whales gringos with no taste. Not even good landscaping. The house nextdoor rented to the boys from hotLanta with pUtas in and out all night.

When I was considering Hispaniola the house had lots of pine. Very pretty.
Now that I have been here a while and every last stick of pine in the house, including furniture has been eaten by termites I know better.
Its metal, plastic or caioba now.
Not knowing can be costly.
Wife wanted granite counters in the kitchen and I was busy elsewhere.
After a short time the granite was full of grease stains and ruined.
Found out granite has to be sealed and the Dominican installer never sealed it.
Good news is he went out of business before the contract hit could be done. (kidding but I felt like it).

Z

zoomzx11

Wasnt that la mulata? If youre a moron and want to live here you need to know its not Kansas. Just ask old man Von Tinteren or Daryl Fornitura

Absolutely.
More than a few killed there and plenty of robberies.
Not a good place to settle. Prices can be great but at what price?

H

Harleysrock

The same people robbed many areas of Sosua including Casa Linda. It all isn't in La Mulata...