Gua gua

D

Derfish

Does anyone know the numbers on a guagua? Thinking of buying an old bus with a wheel chair lift, remove it and add a couple more seats and find someone to put it into service here from Puerto Plata to Santiago maybe.
I would find a local driver and do the paper work in his name, but at a few pesos per rider could one make ends meet?

P

PJT

This is a fine idea to serve the community. You will have to be thick skinned and be prepared, aware the transportation sindicatos will not take kindly to new competition. Also, it must be considered there will be permits required from gov’t agencies. There will be agencies, some with authority and others not having charge over the enterprise, all will have their hands out.

Go into this with eyes wide open.

Good luck!

Regards,

PJT

B

Big

The taxi mafia on the North coast will make doing business difficult and dangerous if they perceive it is encroaching on their territory

E

El Rey de Mangu

Derf get a grip. If you need ths do it for yourself. No charityfor a bunch of self deserving Christian hypocrites

C

Cdn_Gringo

Still not feeling any better I see El Rey. Hope the sun will shine for you soon.

Seems like a venture fraught with potential problems.

1) The Syndicos
2) Dominican drivers
3) Insurance coverage
4) Govt. regulation
5) Vehicle maintenance - wear & tear
6) The presumption of foreigner involvement meaning an endless supply of cash

F

Fulano2

Does anyone know the numbers on a guagua? Thinking of buying an old bus with a wheel chair lift, remove it and add a couple more seats and find someone to put it into service here from Puerto Plata to Santiago maybe.
I would find a local driver and do the paper work in his name, but at a few pesos per rider could one make ends meet?
What’s the purpose of this. Playing games with taxi and guagua syndicates is “no country for old men”.

E

El Rey de Mangu

Still not feeling any better I see El Rey. Hope the sun will shine for you soon.

Seems like a venture fraught with potential problems.

1) The Syndicos
2) Dominican drivers
3) Insurance coverage
4) Govt. regulation
5) Vehicle maintenance - wear & tear
6) The presumption of foreigner involvement meaning an endless supply of cash

Proof that a Canadian education gets you "bolo"

Z

zoomzx11

If you can avoid being seen as competition you have a good shot.
Finding the bus will be some work.
Most of the vehicles here are driven past what would be considered useful life.
Maybe Gorgon and others can point you in the right direction for finding a vehicle.
I would expect some of the charities that help disabled kids might be interested.
The Mustard Seed is North Coast I think.
Lindsay knows these folks.
Good luck

D

Derfish

If you can avoid being seen as competition you have a good shot.
Finding the bus will be some work.
Most of the vehicles here are driven past what would be considered useful life.
Maybe Gorgon and others can point you in the right direction for finding a vehicle.
I would expect some of the charities that help disabled kids might be interested.
The Mustard Seed is North Coast I think.
Lindsay knows these folks.
Good luck

Buying a bus is no problem. Govdeals.com moves a hundred a week or more. I bought vehicles from them for a couple of years and resold them for a living. But if one can do it and stay above water is my question.
Derfish

A

AlterEgo

Buying a bus is no problem. Govdeals.com moves a hundred a week or more. I bought vehicles from them for a couple of years and resold them for a living. But if one can do it and stay above water is my question.
Derfish

I'd be more worried about staying above ground Fish, those sindicatos don't fool around.

M

malko

In reality, what is needed, is to buy ( literally ) a route. Say, POP-santiago " route", POP- santo domingo " route", etc......The problem being is hardly any new " routes" given out, so you have to buy it off someone who is retiring, or whatnot.

As for the numbers, well either you own a bunch of " routes" and you are very well off, for here at least. Or you own one " route" and you just get by.
Owners will either employ drivers and "cobradores" and own the vehicules , or rent out the "route " to a third party, and just cash in the rent.

Z

zoomzx11

I misread.
Thought you were going to transport handicapped and the elderly.
There might be a niche there where you are not seen as being a competition.
Next to impossible for a disable person to get on, ride and get off the usual gua gua.
Maybe avoid the licensing and pay off mess of being seen as a regular gua gua.

D

Derfish

In reality, what is needed, is to buy ( literally ) a route. Say, POP-santiago " route", POP- santo domingo " route", etc......The problem being is hardly any new " routes" given out, so you have to buy it off someone who is retiring, or whatnot.

As for the numbers, well either you own a bunch of " routes" and you are very well off, for here at least. Or you own one " route" and you just get by.
Owners will either employ drivers and "cobradores" and own the vehicules , or rent out the "route " to a third party, and just cash in the rent.

Thanks that is the type of info I was hoping for.
Derfish