Helping Expats When Dealing With The Fiscalia

J

jimmythegreek

I think my experience could help many here that get in a bad situation and have to go to this thing called the Fiscalia......One needs to be ahead of the curve in dealing with their game, when you arrive at their doorstep as a victim of crime. I am here to answer questions to assist as I think the situation overall is quite bad for people in general there. My experience tells me so.

1. Most lawyers are going to be not much help other than taking your money. Never accept an attorney from the Fiscalia-They are not supposed to be doing that anyways. Watchout for the cuota litis that locks you in for a huge bill in the thousands of dollars. Potentially tens of thousands of dollars. Avoid it.
2. The Fiscalia will pursue their conciliation game no matter what and avoid investigating the evidence.
3. You will be forced to file a querella..which costs a large sum of money considering you were just victimized by a crime.
4. The process inside the querella could be putting victims at risk even with their hard evidence as there is not a private entity to forensically investigate the evidence..only a public entity..therein lay the problem.

I will elaborate more later. Maybe my experience can help some from avoiding a harder situation, because expats are entering a wolf's lair.

J

jimmythegreek

Most should all ready have a personal attorney they trust.

Easier said than done...well known attorney in the country told me that if you don't have a good attorney in your family to help you, then more than likely you won't find an attorney.

H

Harleysrock

Easier said than done...well known attorney in the country told me that if you don't have a good attorney in your family to help you, then more than likely you won't find an attorney.

I’d drop your lawyer bc that just isn’t true.

T

Tarheel

The easy way to handle the justice system in the DR is pay them off at the earliest possible time. Don't let it get to court. The longer you stay in DR's justice system the more you pay.

X

xstew

I think you are starting a scare list. Here is my best story. [one of many after 40 years resident of the D.R.] Having work done on my house laying tile big mess. Comes a gut in a black lexis [ top one very expensive] he gets out and wanders in to the construction. I ask him what he wants here ! He says he in a plumer that lives down the block looking for work. I tell him i dont nee3l help i do my own work. He hags around a bit the decides to leave. Slips on some broaken tile and bumps into me ! Right away he is out the door and in his lexus. I have been tricked by one of the oldest scam's in history. My wallet gone and him going i have a pencil i write his licence number down on the wall. Well **** my wallet gone with all my documents residency, cedula and drivers licence. So off to report it to the FISCAL get there big bunch of arguing people. So take a number. Then wait finally after about an hour my turn comes. Young girl asks me what the problem is. I tell her all the story. Their is a police undercover [iguess] listening and he says he know's this guy. and he leaves to find him. Well i finish the interview [very nice girl fast typer] She gives me the report [a copy] and says they will contact me when they have info on the matter. So go home with report and keep working. About an hour later a car stops out front and someone throws out all my documents. So gather up all my stuff and go back to work. Never found out if they cought the guy but someone must have put a scare in him. So i got my stuff back miunus the old wallet and some pictures and the 200 pesos i had in it gone. So i went on with life less the wallet pictures and 200 pesos. Some time spent a FISCAL to fill out QUERLA. Maybe i have a nice Fiscal in my part of town but i was never asked for money or had any need of a ABAGADO. Bleieve it or not !!

X

xstew

Sorry for all the bad spelling and typing errors. I was in a hurry but just wanted you to think before taking advise with someone who does not have all his eggs in the basket!

X

xstew

On thing i did learn from the robbery never carry all my documents on me just photo copy's. Pick pockets are all around here just some tricks they learned in Nuevo York.

C

chico bill

Sorry for all the bad spelling and typing errors. I was in a hurry but just wanted you to think before taking advise with someone who does not have all his eggs in the basket!

Good - because I was about to comment that after 40 years your Spanish was in the dumper

C

chico bill

On thing i did learn from the robbery never carry all my documents on me just photo copy's. Pick pockets are all around here just some tricks they learned in Nuevo York.

Velcro or zippered pockets and maintain sensitive ass cheeks
I guess the 200 pesos p*ssed the thief off ?
But a nice wallet ? Maybe he showed the photos off to claim he has gringo friends

C

chico bill

Velcro or zippered pockets and maintain sensitive ass cheeks
I guess the 200 pesos p*ssed the thief off ?
But a nice wallet ? Maybe he showed the photos off to claim he has gringo friends.

Plumber in a Lexus - 1st clue

W

william webster

x-stew
You didn't need to pay - huh ??

I think residents and citizens don't pay anything....

Anybody confirm that ?
Besides my Dominican friends who say they pay zero at the Fiscalia

E

El Rey de Mangu

x-stew
You didn't need to pay - huh ??

I think residents and citizens don't pay anything....

Anybody confirm that ?
Besides my Dominican friends who say they pay zero at the Fiscalia

No charge. To the best of my knowledge. Good lawyers exist as well,

D

DR_Guy

Exactly. The last lawyer I would trust would be the related to the girl I am banging.

H

HS10

I've had two separate very positive experiences with the fiscal here in Sosua. Both commercial cases ...one when I bought a new motorcycle and one with a shipper. It is a bit chaotic but both times I was very impressed with the Fiscal, the process and happy with the results. Other then the 300 pesos I paid each time to the process server it did not cost me anything.

B

beeza

I had a good experiecne with the Sosua fiscal. A guy was contracted to clean up our neighbourhood and chop down a dead coconut tree. My car was parked right next to this tree and he didn't make any effort to contact me to move it. He got out his chainsaw and what with the properties of gravity, it came down..........on my car! My neighbour's Haitian gardener saw it happen and came round to my house to tell me what happened. By this time the contractor had disappeared.

We went to the local fiscal and lodged the complaint. The aguacil was dispatched to issue the summons. And then a strange thing happened. The contractor sent one his his Haitian workers to threaten our neighbour's Haitian worker!

At the time of the hearing, there was four of us. A white gringo, two Haitians and a Dominican. The fiscal awarded damages against the Dominican and he was forced to pay for the repair of my car and warned not go anywhere near (orden de alejamiento) of the Haitian.

B

beeza

Oh and BTW, the only thing it cost me was 300 pesos in petrol money for the aguacil.

C

CristoRey

So go home with report and keep working. About an hour later a car stops out front and someone throws out all my documents. So gather up all my stuff and go back to work. Never found out if they cought the guy but someone must have put a scare in him.

I've been saying it here for years. The police in this country know who does what
and its tolerated (to an extent) until one of them screws up and hurts or kills their victim.
Anyone who disagrees with me does not understand the way things work down here.

W

william webster

YUP
they handle things differently....

not always by the book... but often successfully