Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CristoRey View Post
    I've been saying it here for years. The police in this country know who does what
    and its tolerated (to an extent) until one of them screws up and hurts or kills their victim.
    Anyone who disagrees with me does not understand the way things work down here.
    They know EXACTLY who does what and are not as stupid as many think!

2. Likes Polar Bear liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure I see the point of this thread...

except that residents and citizens are free at fiscalia,,, others are not

4. Likes Polar Bear liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    I'm not sure I see the point of this thread...

except that residents and citizens are free at fiscalia,,, others are not
    Unfortunately, all the discussion after my initial post became something completely other than what I experienced at the Fiscalia. Maybe some of you had a good experience, but for many others, there has been zero investigation of criminal evidence and in many cases families left in difficult situations...potentially life threatening....

So no there is a point to this thread for many out there.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jimmythegreek View Post
    Unfortunately, all the discussion after my initial post became something completely other than what I experienced at the Fiscalia. Maybe some of you had a good experience, but for many others, there has been zero investigation of criminal evidence and in many cases families left in difficult situations...potentially life threatening....

I think all experiences are worthwhile hearing about

7. Likes drstock, CristoRey, jimmythegreek liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jimmythegreek View Post

I would not bother wasting my time at the Fiscalla. I've lived in enough
    developing countries around the world to know better. Life in developing
    countries requires a certain degree of toughness and ability to resolve
    issues without running to the police every time you are a victim of a crime.

9. Likes cobraboy, Harleysrock, Caonabo liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CristoRey View Post
    I would not bother wasting my time at the Fiscalla. I've lived in enough
    developing countries around the world to know better. Life in developing
    countries requires a certain degree of toughness and ability to resolve
    issues without running to the police every time you are a victim of a crime.
    Yeah well I am sure when the point came that I had to physically protect myself and my family from that criminal threat...the story would be completely different at that Fiscalia...I think you can understand the level of corruption that is going on there to appreciate what I am saying here.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe you can share with us what happened to more fully understand what happened. I think a lot of times issues are case specific. If its in another post can you share the link?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

This is an example of a reality one must accept when choosing to live in the 3rd world. Foreigners generally can't sue and litigate their way out of most problems and they are behind the 8 ball when it comes to pursuing "fairness" against a national.

Just as we learn to accept that in the DR stopping at the scene of an accident to render assistance is not a particularly good idea, "we" eventually learn that the legal system offers us little in the way of justice or problem resolution. CristoRey has basically stated the obvious, it's generally a waste of time and money trying to use the law to deal with conflicts here when dealing with an unsympathetic and uncooperative party.
    Last edited by Cdn_Gringo; 08-15-2019 at 09:50 AM.

13. Likes DR_Guy liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

The laws here work rather strangely. A friend of my wife's heard a crashing and banging noise downstairs. Thinking there was someone breaking in, she turned on the floodlights to find her brother smashing things. She tried to stop him and he backhanded her and was high on Crack. She called the cops and had him arrested. Currently he is resting his ass in jail in La Vega. If she decides she want him to go to jail for what he did, he will spend two to three years in jail. What she wants is him to go into drug rehab. The police/government seem to have little role in charging him with assault , destruction of private property, trespassing...etc.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

The treatment of Dominicans by the "law" and the treatment foreigners receive are predicated on two entirely different approaches.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast