Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 51 to 60 of 60
  1. #51
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    22,019
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    hahaha Windy... incorrigible....

    Just give me a holler when you need something.....

    My bite is soft enough !!!

  2. Likes windeguy liked this post
  3. #52
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    28,776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cobraboy View Post
    Windy, there is a difference between avoiding lawyers when possible, and having one in queue when you positively, absolutely need one.

    It's no different than insurance.

    Retainers on a couple of good lawyers is a sound long-term investment.

    You are a highly rational man. The real danger is finding a good lawyer when you desperately need one. That's when you can be bled dry.
    Interesting comparison. I also hate insurance. I get the insurance I need when it comes to medical and motor vehicles, but avoid all other types, especially life insurance. I am self insured for most things outside of medical and motor vehicle. That approach has served me well. So write me up for being under-insured and under-lawyered so far in my life. Choosing a lawyer without actually needing one is something I cannot see happening.

  4. #53
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    36,952
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    True, but we are in the DR. So things are different than in the US. Thankfully I only needed lawyers twice in the US for a minor situations.
    You are lucky.

    Most self-employed and smaller businesses in the US need lawyers because it is such a get-rich-quick litigious society. Workers comp, slip-and-fall fraudsters, fake "human rights" outrage and accusations, you name it. Add all manner of business regulations and zoning issues.

    You cannot defend yourself alone, and trying to weave through bureaucracies manned by angry, jealous bureaucrats in clothes that can't be worn near open flame requires help.
    Cabin Attendant,
    Augusto Pinochet Helicopter Tours

  5. #54
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    22,019
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I was VERY anti insurance.

    One day my friend - an agent - had a suggestion.
    A new policy -
    Pay once and NEVER AGAIN !!

    I was curious.... listened and bought...
    For math purposes... the policy delivered 50x the one time payment on death

    I jumped on it.

    He took me out to lunch over a year later.... as a Thank You

    He said-
    You resisted me for years and then bit like a shark
    I thought there must be something to this new policy

    I was just given the Top Salesman in Canada Award thanks to you.... lets' eat

    It was called The Architect Policy - Manulife

  6. #55
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    28,776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cobraboy View Post
    You are lucky.

    Most self-employed and smaller businesses in the US need lawyers because it is such a get-rich-quick litigious society. Workers comp, slip-and-fall fraudsters, fake "human rights" outrage and accusations, you name it. Add all manner of business regulations and zoning issues.

    You cannot defend yourself alone, and trying to weave through bureaucracies manned by angry, jealous bureaucrats in clothes that can't be worn near open flame requires help.
    I don't think luck is involved with my almost entirely avoiding lawyers, but maybe. It was more by choice that I avoided lawyers. I almost always worked for small businesses of 10 to 50 people, and I saw the toll it takes on the owners. I never wanted to have my own business as my source of income at any time in my life. I switched jobs frequently for increasing better paying jobs until that was no longer was possible. I saved my money along the way and retired when the up the ladder job train ended and I cashed out of a house that almost doubled in price. I even did my own divorce along the way and saved the cost of a lawyer on that as well. I not only avoided the flame, I never even saw the fire.

    I came here to retire, not to work. That allowed me to avoid what you faced back in the US and also here almost entirely. Not luck, but rather a part of the plan from the start to the end of my far shorter than normal time working. My friends are still not retired while I will have been for 17 years. My divorced wife did finally retire recently, but she worked for the government.

  7. #56
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    28,776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    I was VERY anti insurance.

    One day my friend - an agent - had a suggestion.
    A new policy -
    Pay once and NEVER AGAIN !!

    I was curious.... listened and bought...
    For math purposes... the policy delivered 50x the one time payment on death

    I jumped on it.

    He took me out to lunch over a year later.... as a Thank You

    He said-
    You resisted me for years and then bit like a shark
    I thought there must be something to this new policy

    I was just given the Top Salesman in Canada Award thanks to you.... lets' eat

    It was called The Architect Policy - Manulife
    I cannot imagine doing such a thing for any type of life insurance.

  8. #57
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    22,019
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    When did you last 50x an investment Windy....

    That's a number.... $50,000 becomes $2,500,000

  9. #58
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    28,776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    When did you last 50x an investment Windy....

    That's a number.... $50,000 becomes $2,500,000
    It's not the X factor for me because I would never spend even $1 to get $50, $2 to get $100, etc, etc, etc after I am dead.
    I arranged things differently and in a way that works for me and my family.

  10. #59
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    22,019
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    For me... it wasn't wealth creation but an easy way to invest... of sorts

    Gives me a clean conscience if I blow everything !!
    haha

    Most people buy insurance to create an estate....that and their house

    I do consider life after death - for those in my family.
    And (as Emeril would say).. we can crank it up a notch.... why not !!?

  11. #60
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    1,172
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    Sorry, Napoleonic Code is not used any more despite people thinking it still exists ( I had a typo above with the word "card" by mistake).
    It's not a typo.

    You can play the Napoleonic Card to your advantage against those that do not know.

    Call a bluff.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •