Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Las Vegas with a beach!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

You make some very good points. The airport is owned and operated by Grupo Punta Cana. And, their corporate culture is certainly reflected in how the airport operates.

On the other hand, I don't understand this: "Walk outside of your resort and you will see groups of Haitians on every street corner, just hanging around, doing apparently nothing." It sounds like you were in Veron. (Which strictly speaking is part of Punta Cana, but it is not the place people mean when they talk about tourist Punta Cana.) I would have said "walk outside of your resort and you will see swarms of white tourists walking and driving like they think they are in Kansas." In the primary tourist areas there are not Haitians on every street corner doing nothing. Maybe you were in Friusa : ) El Hoyo, for sure is what you say.

This part is absolutely true, you nailed it: "The whole area is designed to extract every dime out of every unsuspecting tourist." It is run like a machine.

Thanks for your perspective. Always interesting to see people who know the country react to the way Punta Cana operates.

3. Likes TheViking liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Not quite Vegas, more like a tropical Myrtle Beach

Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    Las Vegas with a beach!
    Lived in Sosua, Puerto Plata, las Terrenas, Bavaro, Cap Cana, and Jarabacoa, all totally different and unique.
    It really depends what you enjoy doing and how. Your finances may determine how well you like Punta Cana because it is a tourist town, prices are in dollars, good restaurants and shopping malls are expensive, but there are unique attractions and miles of gorgeous beaches, including those in Cap Cana and Punta Cana Resort. Seaweed is not a Punta Cana problem, it's all over the ocean at different times, and I saw most Haitians mingling in Las Terrenas, not in Bavaro, where they can't afford to live or eat.

As far as people being unhappy and not smiling, maybe they are just focused on their job instead of gossiping, it is a faster pace with a focus on money, like big cities. People go there to make a living, work hard to take or send money to their families in small towns around the island. Many work 2 and 3 weeks in a row in order to take 4-5 days off to go see their family, so it's not like they go home in the evening w the wife and kids...

Many factors to consider, including whether you like mixing w Dominicans on the Puerto Plata malecon on Sundays or you prefer to go for mountain sports in Jarabacoa. This island has an incredible variety of options for all types of pocketbooks and you just have to find the right one for your lifestyle.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Majestic Hotel just closed "temporarily" due to low occupancy.
    For the DR to depend on tourism so heavily is a mistake.
    How about investment in clean industry, jobs and a future.
    There will always be economic down turns that kill tourism.
    Profits from the hotel biz do not trickle down to the average person.
    Just a bad idea.
    Then the world wide publicity over the deaths comes along and the DR is utterly incapable of doing anything but making it worse. Dug themselves a hole and did not know when to stop digging.
    As far as PC goes I never understood the appeal.
    I am a north coaster through and through.
    If you want to go to an AI and lay out in the sun it is cheaper and easier to go to Miami. And they speak English.
    PC must have something but I never saw found it.

6. Likes jenmar237, USA DOC, Russell liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zoomzx11 View Post
    Majestic Hotel just closed "temporarily" due to low occupancy.
    For the DR to depend on tourism so heavily is a mistake.
    How about investment in clean industry, jobs and a future.
    There will always be economic down turns that kill tourism.
    Profits from the hotel biz do not trickle down to the average person.
    Just a bad idea.
    Then the world wide publicity over the deaths comes along and the DR is utterly incapable of doing anything but making it worse. Dug themselves a hole and did not know when to stop digging.
    As far as PC goes I never understood the appeal.
    I am a north coaster through and through.
    If you want to go to an AI and lay out in the sun it is cheaper and easier to go to Miami. And they speak English.
    PC must have something but I never saw found it.
    Pretty much all of the Caribbean relies on tourism. What is clean industry jobs? It is cheaper to go PC for a vacation than Miami, especially if you include South Beach.

8. Likes Garyexpat, Conchman liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KyleMackey View Post
    Pretty much all of the Caribbean relies on tourism. What is clean industry jobs? It is cheaper to go PC for a vacation than Miami, especially if you include South Beach.
    pretty much all of the Caribbean depends on tourism. the difference lies in the configuration of the ownership of the assets. when almost all your hotels and equipment are owned by foreigners, tourism does not work in your favor. when a person who is fully fluent in English works in a mid level service position, and takes home 12k pesos per month for 6 grueling days per week, i am hard pressed to understand how well it benefits the average man.

10. Likes nigrarosa, Russell liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    pretty much all of the Caribbean depends on tourism. the difference lies in the configuration of the ownership of the assets. when almost all your hotels and equipment are owned by foreigners, tourism does not work in your favor. when a person who is fully fluent in English works in a mid level service position, and takes home 12k pesos per month for 6 grueling days per week, i am hard pressed to understand how well it benefits the average man.
    If 5 or 6 Dominican Companies owned all of the resorts in PC what is the difference? Configuration of assets? If I start a company and take significant risks, borrow money and make something successful I reap the benefits (as well as partners who invest). Are you suggesting that the employees should confiscate my company comrade?

12. Likes ctrob, Sosua Sonny liked this post
    Dislikes ThunderPants disliked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KyleMackey View Post
    If 5 or 6 Dominican Companies owned all of the resorts in PC what is the difference? Configuration of assets? If I start a company and take significant risks, borrow money and make something successful I reap the benefits (as well as partners who invest). Are you suggesting that the employees should confiscate my company comrade?
    i made a simple statement. if you want to dispute it, then learn some common courtesy, and refrain from cheap shot attempts to be rude.

i am not going to even waste my time discussing this with you. apparently the concept of benefit is yet to dawn on you. if the Dominican people own the assets, then the little matter of repatriation of revenues to a core country is reduced. a company like Sandals in Jamaica is owned by Jamaicans. the money made by the hotels does not have to go to Mallorca. the managing directorate, ergo the high paying jobs, are held by Jamaicans. there is a big difference when 90% of the management jobs are held by locals, or when they are held by foreigners, and locals get to cut the grass.

14. Likes nigrarosa, Auryn liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Have they ever thought what they would do if some disaster or other medical problem may deter tourism. What do they do with all the billion dollar hotels standing empty. They say a million tourists from china are coming what if they don't come !

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    i made a simple statement. if you want to dispute it, then learn some common courtesy, and refrain from cheap shot attempts to be rude.

i am not going to even waste my time discussing this with you. apparently the concept of benefit is yet to dawn on you. if the Dominican people own the assets, then the little matter of repatriation of revenues to a core country is reduced. a company like Sandals in Jamaica is owned by Jamaicans. the money made by the hotels does not have to go to Mallorca. the managing directorate, ergo the high paying jobs, are held by Jamaicans. there is a big difference when 90% of the management jobs are held by locals, or when they are held by foreigners, and locals get to cut the grass.
    Sandals is owned by 1 family, the Stewarts. Butch Stewart started the company and his son is now the CEO. It isn't owned by 10,000 Jamaicans LOL. It is a closely held private company.

17. Likes jenmar237 liked this post
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast