Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KyleMackey View Post
    Sandals is owned by 1 family, the Stewarts. Butch Stewart started the company and his son is now the CEO. It isn't owned by 10,000 Jamaicans LOL. It is a closely held private company.
    i happen to know all that. i went to high school with members of Butch's family. it might not be owned by 10,000 Jamaicans, but Butch does not have to send the profits to Spain, so Jamaica stands to reap a greater benefit. besides, Butch does not have to hire a food and beverage manager from Madrid.

2. Likes nigrarosa liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    i happen to know all that. i went to high school with members of Butch's family. it might not be owned by 10,000 Jamaicans, but Butch does not have to send the profits to Spain, so Jamaica stands to reap a greater benefit. besides, Butch does not have to hire a food and beverage manager from Madrid.
    Spain/Jamaica/DR doesn't get the profits, the owner does. A country does collect corporate taxes though. Surely resort management in the DR there are many Dominicans????

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Butch Stewart really is a good businessman and a decent guy. His net worth is listed as 1 billion. I would bet its way more than that. The company is not publicly traded, him not being a U.S citizen having to adhere to cumbersome U.S tax codes he can put his cash in other projects w/o being tracked. He is buddies with Sir Richard Branson. Their business models are templates for success

5. Likes nigrarosa liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KyleMackey View Post
    Spain/Jamaica/DR doesn't get the profits, the owner does. A country does collect corporate taxes though. Surely resort management in the DR there are many Dominicans????
    this is really giving you some difficulty. let us say that if all the money goes to Senor Ramos, in Spain, or if it stays with Butch Stewart, which do you think is more beneficial to Jamaica?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your perspective, it is appreciated. I've lived her now 12 years or so and never have gone to PC and now I know why :-)

singletravel

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

this is really giving you some difficulty. let us say that if all the money goes to Senor Ramos, in Spain, or if it stays with Butch Stewart, which do you think is more beneficial to Jamaica?
    Of course it is more beneficial to have an HQ in Jamaica so the government can collect corporate taxes of that operation and for some of the locals who work at the HQ. Nonetheless these Caribbean governments make a lot more taxing the resorts operating in their countries. Did 1 former Venezuelan Resort HQ move to the DR years ago after Chavez started confiscating companies. There is probably a few resort operators with an HQ presence in the DR, just guessing.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Why do you make everything so personal.

10. Likes jenmar237 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

"Punta Cana" is a large area. Strictly speaking it means the area of the airport, Village and PuntaCana Resort and Club, but it is widely used to refer to the whole East Coast area from Uvero Alto, Macao, Bavaro, Veron and Punta Cana to Cap Cana (40+ km) so what it's like completely depends on where you live and where you go for work, shopping and leisure, whether it's Veron, Cortecito, Punta Cana Village, Los Corales, Cap Cana or Friusa.

In many parts, like PC Village, it is still a relatively safe, quiet and well-organised place to live and bring up children. They can play outside freely and move around the neighbourhood, walk/cycle to school, enjoying a much healthier childhood than city children who are stuck at home and/or have to be ferried everywhere by parents/drivers. We don't have the stress of power cuts and crime.

The main drawback for us has been the limited cultural activity but we realise we are not in a proper big city and that is the price we've had to pay.

In the Bavaro area especially, development is rapid with little or no sensible planning. The intensive, high-volume nature of the tourism model is unsustainable and is threatening the natural environment with reef degradation, coastal erosion, litter and pollution - i.e. the goose that laid the golden egg. The sargassum is part of a wider environmental problem and that certainly doesn't help either.
    Moderator East Coast Forum

www.DR1.com

12. Likes melphis, PCMike, 1greasy, Lucifer, John Boyter liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

As far as taxes are concerned, I'v been lead to believe that once you build a hotel, you get a five year tax exhoneration period. From what I can gather, after that five year period you have to start paying taxes. A lot of resorts are then sold on. The new buyer has to turn a profit from the purchase price plus the taxes. That obviously has a knock-on effect of price and quality. This I believe to be the fundamental reason why POP cannot compete with PUJ. Many of the resorts are simply older. A remodelling might make your hotel pretty and up-to-date, but you won't get those tax benefits, which must be considerable.

However, if you have financial backing behind you, you can buy an old hotel, knock it down and build a new one and enjoy five more years of tax exhoneration.

I have hope that the North Coast will have it's renaissance, but I don't know when.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beeza View Post
    As far as taxes are concerned, I'v been lead to believe that once you build a hotel, you get a five year tax exhoneration period. From what I can gather, after that five year period you have to start paying taxes. A lot of resorts are then sold on. The new buyer has to turn a profit from the purchase price plus the taxes. That obviously has a knock-on effect of price and quality. This I believe to be the fundamental reason why POP cannot compete with PUJ. Many of the resorts are simply older. A remodelling might make your hotel pretty and up-to-date, but you won't get those tax benefits, which must be considerable.

However, if you have financial backing behind you, you can buy an old hotel, knock it down and build a new one and enjoy five more years of tax exhoneration.

I have hope that the North Coast will have it's renaissance, but I don't know when.
    Do you have a link for that?

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast