Parker: The Alliance Fran?aise

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Not wanting to hijack this thread I decided to open this one and continue here:

I couldn't find the website for the local organization. To my knowledge there are at least 4 in different cities in DR, including my hometown, Monte Cristi. This is the website for the Santiago Branch. Go to google for more, there are dozens of websites on the different branches of the organization.

This is the address in Santo Domingo.
Avenida George Washington
Tel: (809) 687-4123

From this website: http://globegate.utm.edu/french/globegate_mirror/alliance.html

The Alliance Fran?aise is a non-profit organization, founded in 1883, which now has over 1100 offices in 140 countries (nearly 160 in the United States, with over 25,000 members). Its goals are the dissemination of French language and culture, which it does through classes, lectures, exhibitions, other cultural events, scholarships, etc. The programs reach nearly 400,000 students of French per year in a variety of ways. Though the organization is headquartered in Paris, each official office is registered with its host country and administered by a local committee, representing cultural, scientific and economic interests. The organization provides a way for French citizens to meet their fellow French and others with an interest in the French community.

pascal

Jan 14, 2002
?

this thing i.e ? is called c c?dille in French and it sounds like an S

- when the c is before e, i or a y, the c remains a c

Exemples : ceci, cela, sucette, civet, merci, cygne,...

- when the c is before a, o or u, the c?dille is required :

Exemples: ?a, commer?ant, colima?on, re?u, aper?u....

while using upper case the c?dille underneath the C disappears.

if you set up your keyboard to French in your system settings , you can get it by pressing the 9 key .

On a more serious tone , I walked in the French alliance in Montrecristi to actually offer help and support to somehow contribute to their activities and I was offered to do some reading so the students could get used to the french accent . There don't seem to be any French directly involved in their activities in Montecristi . I have been much impressed though by the quality of the French spoken by the people in charge of the organisation . I sensed that in Santo Domingo closed links existed between the french community and also the ambassy and the French alliance. I am aiming at getting more involved and further contribute when time allows....

Parker

May 21, 2002
Thx

To Pib :

Thx for all those informations. I'll surf on those web sites and tell you.
I don't know the city of Monte Cristi, wich part of DR is it ?

To Pascal :

As I plan to move to DR next Septembre, I'd be very interested in meeting the Alliance Fran?aise and eventually give them my support too. Do you know someone I could talk to ?
By the way I'm french and not sure we can speak french on this forum, so maybe could we go on with this conversation on a private message, in french... ;-)
I'd also be interested in knowing more about your experience of living there and with tips...

Thx in advance

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Re: ?

[B]pascal [/B] said:
I walked in the French alliance in Montrecristi... There don't seem to be any French directly involved in their activities in Montecristi . I have been much impressed though by the quality of the French spoken by the people in charge of the organisation.
IIRC, Jeannette (R.I.P.) and Fanny, the two oldest teachers in the AF in Monte Cristi studied in France. They are great teachers, I will always remember them dearly (they even sent me a book last year with my sister, who was also a student there and visits them every time she is in town).

[B]Parker[/B] said:
To Pib :
... I don't know the city of Monte Cristi, wich part of DR is it ?
Monte Cristi is located at the northwestern end of D.R. If you are ever in town do, by any means, visit the Alliance Fran?aise. Not only will the teachers receive you warmly but also the children will be happy to practice their French. :)

Parker

May 21, 2002
To Pib

Thank you for all your informations, I contacted the AF in Santo Domingo by mail today, and cross my fingers for a quick answer... I promess if I ever get a chance to visit Monte Cristi, I'll stop by and say Hi ! to your teachers.

Thx again.