El Hoyo de Friusa

F

franco1111

When a brand new public school in La Romana did not open today and no parents or students were notified, I was going to write something about how this kind of thing is part of the reality of life in the DR for many Dominicans. (Danilo came and cut the ribbon for the school last week and it was supposed to open today. Parents arrived with their children and no director, no teachers, were there to tell them anything. Supposedly now the school will open on Thursday.) Minor incident among many that are far more inconvenient and sometimes deadly.

But, I found something more profound that starkly illustrates what life is like for some and the contrast between actual life here and what tourists see and/or experience. A short description of conditions in El Hoyo de Friusa. Friusa is an enclave near Bavaro/Punta Cana. There is an intersection of streets where there are commercial developments and a new bus station. Normal, more or less. But, down the hill is El Hoyo.

[Google translation]

The Hole of Friusa, what we don't want to see ...

"When we want to hide something, we throw it in a 'hole,' store it in a drawer or throw it in a zafacón. How could we teach millions of tourists how close to their paradisiacal rooms thousands of Dominican and Haitian citizens crowd together, living in unacceptable conditions because there is a lot of wealth and full employment in this area.

"It's half past ten on this Sunday night and I just got back from the Friusa Hole. I can not think of another topic for my weekly article that vent this sorrow that takes my sleep, because of impotence.

"It is not the first time that I go to the Friusa Hole. In 1991, when I first came to the area, I was just a 19-year-old man, to open my first business at the RIU Taino hotel before finishing my university studies. At that time, the road that brought us from Higuey to Bavaro crossed a particularly large area at that time, in which the communities were small and the less than 2,000 hotel rooms attracted about 20,000 Dominicans.

"Behind that famous crossing, there was a particular descent into those clay lands where improvised hovels built by people who did not want to move to Higuey, which at that time was more than an hour away, began to rise. That hole continued to be populated without planning or attention from the State or the Municipality, in the same way that belts of misery can be seen in the periphery of Santo Domingo, or the famous favelas of Rio de Janeiro.

"That hole, hidden from tourists, continued to grow, at the same speed as the destination has grown. Along with the hundreds of hotel rooms, thousands of rooms are built in quartets, hovels and shabby pieces where thousands of migrants from other parts of the country and from outside the Dominican Republic, mainly from Haiti, are crowded. The rise of hotel construction and infrastructure and services, attracts a lot of supposedly temporary work, stop raising complex millionaires but end up staying permanently.

"And in the same way that on a personal level, housing is improvised and an irregular and informal economy develops, it continues to grow in a tree-bottomed and disorganized way and it is increasingly difficult to meet such basic needs as water, in the absence of a system of water and sewer. Water extraction wells are improvised next to septic tanks, as a prelude to what can be a major health crisis.

"The Hole of Friusa is not enough to bury our shame and that extreme poverty can no longer be hidden in the heart of the area that generates our greatest wealth.

"It's time to get out of inertia and indifference. I count on you."

And, people talk about this place as paradise. I have been to El Hoyo for a few different reasons. One of them recently is that there is a new PN station there.

http://bavarodigital.net/2019/08/19/el-hoyo-de-friusa-lo-que-no-queremos-ver/

D

Dubcreator

There's a hotel near El Hoyo, catered towards canadians, hotel Punta Canada estates, who in his right mind would wanna go there?

B

bob saunders

So , short version. People squatted on land that wasn't theirs and developed it, but there is little or no infrastructure as there was no formal plan....etc.

P

PJT

A big task

The Hoyo exists because there is an enormous need for its labor pool. The explosive growth of the tourist zone demands workers. The authorities put blinders on to the planning, development, and care of the area. It was the government’s behavior of the past and it is the same now. The workers need to have a place to bed down. The developers are not going to provide housing.

If one goes back 25 years or more the Hoyo existed for its labor pool. It was set back beyond the beaches at the Friusa crossroads. It was the same reasoning CEPM built its power plant east about 3-4 km from there, to be set away, out of sight, out of mind of tourists and residents. There to serve the public.

What is now happening is the growth of proper residential and commercial development has moved away from the beaches and encroaching around the Hoyo and CEPM. These investors are annoyed by the proximity of masses of people, substandard housing, unregulated enterprises, and unchecked growth of the Hoyo. They are annoyed because the nearby ghetto is unsightly and ruining their property values.

Yes, the Hoyo does have squatters. However, the majority of the land and buildings are owned. The owners may reside there, they rent and they have businesses. There are schools, medical clinics, bus yards, and many services; characteristics necessary to support its population.

The Hoyo is no different for any other settlement of its kind throughout the country. The difference is it is in the Tourist Zone.

Government can continue to leave it alone or take responsibility for allowing its existence or find a way to make it better without upsetting its population. A big task.

Regards,

PJT

C

Chirimoya

Agree 100% with PJT's post, especially this:
The Hoyo is no different for any other settlement of its kind throughout the country. The difference is it is in the Tourist Zone.

The government provides next to nothing in terms of social services in the poorer neighbourhoods in Bavaro-Punta Cana. The Nazaret school in Hoyo de Friusa, for example, keeps running largely thanks to volunteers and donations. A few years ago I know they were struggling to get the Ministry of Education to send teachers and pay their salaries.