voltage regulator

J

janlindy

Looking for a 10 K 220 v voltage regulator , any ideas ???? all our resouces are out. tried Trace in PP. anyone know of a source?????? lightning took out our whole system, much of wich has been repaired but not up to standards......

B

Bred

I am sure you need a whole house surge protector, not a voltage regulator.

J

janlindy

whole house surge protector is on the way .. we have a repaired voltage reg that is not accepting full voltage so we need a new one.

B

Bred

Then Amazon would be the fastest. 1-2 day shipping in the USA and 2 day shipping to Dom. Rep. Order today and get it by Saturday here. You spend more time searching for a good one here, and probably won't find it anyway.

X

xstew

A voltage regulator is not the solution to a burned transformer. Call CDE and request new transformer. Or at least check your damaged one. Transformers can be adjusted 10% or more up or down.

C

cobraboy

Then Amazon would be the fastest. 1-2 day shipping in the USA and 2 day shipping to Dom. Rep. Order today and get it by Saturday here. You spend more time searching for a good one here, and probably won't find it anyway.
A regulator that size will weigh 50lbs. minimum. That's a hefty device to be shipping to the DR.

Check with MegaTone in Santiago or Moca. They manufacture regulators and reducers.

C

Cdn_Gringo

As CB says, a device to regulate power from the DR grid to a house full of appliances, computers & TV's is a hefty device. If importing, you'll definitely wish to have this equipment arrive via a mudanza by sea.

1) Do not let a clueless "Dominican Electrician" wire the this equipment into your panel
2) Your house will need to have all of the bad wiring practices corrected before any equipment such as this will offer protection as intended
3) You'll need a "real" grounding bed which is probably not available on your property yet.
4) An off the shelf voltage regulator is probably incapable of handling the extremely large surges from lightning.
5) One generally cannot suppress over voltage from lightening, you need a lightning diverter for that.

Over voltage protection is simply diverting over voltage to somewhere outside your house. You have to provide somewhere for this current to go or you are just wasting money.

W

windeguy

A regulator that size will weigh 50lbs. minimum. That's a hefty device to be shipping to the DR.

Check with MegaTone in Santiago or Moca. They manufacture regulators and reducers.

Megatone is also in Puerto Plata if that helps.

X

xstew

Megatone is also in Puerto Plata if that helps.

I did a low voltage repair for a printing company here. They had a low voltage problem. Bought a commercial transformer [on the pole type] removed the top inside is 4 terminals you con raise or lower the voltage by a adjustable bar. [up or down] This was an easy job apart from finding a place for the transformer. Solved their problem. If you have a up/down voltage problem [varying voltage problem that's a problem for a voltage regulator] . Not knowing your source of voltage can not recommend any other choices !

X

xstew

By up/down i mean varying voltage. Their can be many reasons for this. You need to find the cause. Trying to fix a electrical problem by just buying more equipment is like trying to tell a local not to hook you up with telephone wire.

J

janlindy

thanks all for the good information and some good advice. we found a voltage regulator in SD it is getting picked up today installed sat. along with grounding plate/wires for the equipment and surge protectors.

jan

C

cobraboy

By up/down i mean varying voltage. Their can be many reasons for this. You need to find the cause. Trying to fix a electrical problem by just buying more equipment is like trying to tell a local not to hook you up with telephone wire.
In our case it was a faulty transformer on the street and poor wiring into the house. Both were replaced and it's been smooth sailing since.

W

windeguy

In the case of Cabarete and Sosua, I understand there are constant voltage fluctuations all of the time and there have been for years in just about every location. That is from someone that has lived in various locations in Cabarete and Sosua. They have voltage regulators with a readout on critical equipment and they see the voltage is anything but steady no matter where they have lived in this region.

W

waytogo

I use a 5K voltage regulator........
Is there any test to see if it is working properly ?

C

cobraboy

I use a 5K voltage regulator........
Is there any test to see if it is working properly ?
Take a voltmeter and test the input and output. The output should be what you set, 110, 120, etc. The input may be variable.