Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Standby flights Can u get them at the airport when flightsre full?

I am trying to get to europe and / or Brussels specifically but the flights are so pricey one way or full !!!example 800 euros one way to Brussels

ANY ONE KNOW IF U CAN FLY STANDBY by going tipoffs the airport ? Tui? Jetairfly?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arrugala View Post
    I am trying to get to europe and / or Brussels specifically but the flights are so pricey one way or full !!!example 800 euros one way to Brussels

ANY ONE KNOW IF U CAN FLY STANDBY by going tipoffs the airport ? Tui? Jetairfly?
    I have done this many years ago, can't remember but I think it was Thompson or Thomas Cook when they had flights from POP to London.

Not cheap though, I think it was ~US$600 one way (had to pay cash only) - but I was upgraded to premier class for free later while waiting to board.... ! Had to wait to the last minute when everyone had checked-in and they were closing the counter.

It worth a try, from memory they told me that usually there is one or two seats available because someone does not turn up or cancel. But you have to go early when they open the check-in counter and tell them, so you are the first to be considered.

(I am guessing the guy that I took his ticket did turn up later afterwards, hence they sent me to premier - and kept him in economy for being late.....lol )

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I googled the subject and most of the articles said that you need to have already bought a ticket and standby is really if you want to catch an earlier flight or change destinations. With all the security at the airport the old procedures of going standby have gone by the wayside. You can't get to the gates without a ticket so I don't think what you are asking is possible.

4. Likes Caonabo liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know when you are looking to travel, but TUI has flights under $400 one way on at least two Sundays in September, and several under $300 in October. (From POP).

Sent from my SM-J810M using Tapatalk

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I've only done it once, and it was years ago. I called for days before i finally got a hold of a ticket agent for a charter flight from POP to Stockholm, Sweden. I was trying to get back to work in Norway. They told me they couldn't guarantee a seat but that i was welcome to come to the POP airport and do stand-by while everyone boarded. (They said i would need to pay cash for the flight if a seat was available)

So, i drove up from Bonao and met the ticket agent and waited. And then I waited some more.

Holy hell, i did not realize how long it takes to board a big plane that completely sold out. Only after everyone had boarded and they did a "final" seat count--where they also made a final boarding call for a Swedish passenger who did not show up, only then did they sell me the last seat/ticket on the plane. (This was one of those charter planes where all of the bathrooms are all downstairs on a separate floor of the plane--below the passengers).

The funny thing was that after they sold me the ticket and i showed them my passport, they realized i couldn't board the flight without some sort of E.U ID. The reason being was because (i never fully understood why?) it was a charter flight directly to Sweden and since i did not start the flight from Sweden, i was somehow required to prove that i lived in an E.U country. Luckily i had my Norwegian ID on me, and only after i showed it to them did they let me board the flight. I never quite understood why i would not be able to board with an American Passport? But there was reason explained to me that i never fully grasped. Anyway, it all worked out. Not sure if they do that anymore, and especially on a one-way Charter flight returning back to Europe. That's probably a weird way to do it unless you live in Europe.

PS: Arrugula, are you Paul, my buddy from Cabarete?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

From where you want to fly?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frank12 View Post
    The funny thing was that after they sold me the ticket and i showed them my passport, they realized i couldn't board the flight without some sort of E.U ID. The reason being was because (i never fully understood why?) it was a charter flight directly to Sweden and since i did not start the flight from Sweden, i was somehow required to prove that i lived in an E.U country. Luckily i had my Norwegian ID on me, and only after i showed it to them did they let me board the flight. I never quite understood why i would not be able to board with an American Passport? But there was reason explained to me that i never fully grasped. Anyway, it all worked out. Not sure if they do that anymore, and especially on a one-way Charter flight returning back to Europe. That's probably a weird way to do it unless you live in Europe.

PS: Arrugula, are you Paul, my buddy from Cabarete?
    Because one way ticket is only allowed for nationals or residents of the country you are visitting, every time I traveled to Canada if I booked return flight with another airline they always asked me if I was resident in Canada when I said no, then they asked to show the return ticket.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DRdreaming View Post
    I don't know when you are looking to travel, but TUI has flights under $400 one way on at least two Sundays in September, and several under $300 in October. (From POP).

Sent from my SM-J810M using Tapatalk
    arrug - You should be able to buy one of those cheap tickets for any date, then try to get on standby for an earlier flight using that ticket. But I would do a little research with your target airlines first re their standby rules.

Or if know of anybody that works for an airline, that would spare you a buddy ticket. Most of the time they can even get you on other airlines other than their own.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Received from EuroWings representative in POP today regarding nearest flights to Europe -

=================================================================
    No, unfortunately everything is full. Could offer Standby on all POP Flights to DUS for 199 Euros.
    You would have to get on the standby list and wait until all passengers have checked in.
    =================================================================

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ctrob View Post
    arrug - You should be able to buy one of those cheap tickets for any date, then try to get on standby for an earlier flight using that ticket. But I would do a little research with your target airlines first re their standby rules.

Or if know of anybody that works for an airline, that would spare you a buddy ticket. Most of the time they can even get you on other airlines other than their own.
    You are giving away a huge little secret here Ctrob..
    Yes, this works .. not foolproof though..

but yeagh, you can't just show up at the airport with NO ticket , and stand there , like the old days.
    Basically you need a GOOD Plausible STORY, and a ticket in hand... which they can void out with Zero penalty, IF you bought it within the last 24 hours . ( like you bought a ticket for a sick Abuela, but now she took a turn for the worse and you WANT to (don't HAVE to, this is key) fly sooner.. )

The Airline can do amazing things, IF they want to and it makes $ sense to them.
    read their rules as Ctrob said.

12. Likes Africaida, ctrob liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast