Obtaining DR Citizenship for Spouses

A

Alltimegreat

I am a naturalized Dominican citizen and would like to pass the citizenship onto my wife if possible. We don't live in the DR.

Is there any way at all it can be done?

W

windeguy

As far as I know, she would have to be a legal resident in the DR for a period of time, it looks like 2 years, before she could apply for citizenship through marriage. Since you don't live in the DR, I don't think this would be possible without living in the DR with residency. (Similarly, I cannot pass my US citizenship on to my wife because we don't live in the US and she would need to be a legal resident for 3 years to be naturalized through marriage if memory serves me correctly).

A

Alltimegreat

There certainly was a time when the Dominican authorities only required paper residency, meaning they didn't care too much if a permitholder was actually living in the country full time.

Not sure if they've gotten stricter.

W

william webster

My understanding is that the 'residency' part of the resident is satisfied as long as you are not ABSENT more than 6 months.

The need to actually 'reside' may not exist - as you say.

If she has residency already ... you may be good to go.
Otherwise, she needs residency first - before anything else

D

Dr_Taylor

My understanding is that the 'residency' part of the resident is satisfied as long as you are not ABSENT more than 6 months.

The need to actually 'reside' may not exist - as you say.

If she has residency already ... you may be good to go.
Otherwise, she needs residency first - before anything else

Exactly. The DR is not as strict as other countries in this regard.

W

windeguy

Exactly. The DR is not as strict as other countries in this regard.

I am collecting the paper work to become a DR citizen through marriage. Part of the requirements is to provide all of my ins and outs of the DR, supposedly via a document obtained at DGM, so they will see how much time I spend here. I suppose they could be asking for this and sill not care. Keep in mind it is just one small part of the requirements that need to be turned in.

If I did not live in the DR, I would have no interest in being a DR citizen. I am curious as to the reason in this case for such a desire.

A

Alltimegreat

If I did not live in the DR, I would have no interest in being a DR citizen. I am curious as to the reason in this case for such a desire.

Having multiple second citizenships is part of a sound strategy aimed at political and financial diversification. Holding Dominican citizenship does not obligate a person to live there, but it does grant the right to do so.

W

william webster

I don't remember having to provide In/Out statistics, Windy.

Maybe when you use a lawyer - it's different

W

windeguy

Having multiple second citizenships is part of a sound strategy aimed at political and financial diversification. Holding Dominican citizenship does not obligate a person to live there, but it does grant the right to do so.

In this case it comes with potential financial burdens as well. I would highly advise against it for someone not living in the DR. I don't see the political and economic diversification as a benefit with a DR passport, unless perhaps the person is from Haiti.

I would have no interest at all in getting the ability to have one of the most useless passports on the planet if I didn't live here full time while hating to make trips to Santo Domingo to renew residency.

W

windeguy

I don't remember having to provide In/Out statistics, Windy.

Maybe when you use a lawyer - it's different

I doubt it. The law has been in effect for a while. If you don't have the proper documents on file, then you could be subject to having citizenship revoked because a lawyer back door-ed the process.

Again, why go through this for a DR passport eligibility? I find it unlikely I would get a DR passport. Just the cedula a citizen has would likely be sufficient for my purposes.

Here is a google translation of the list needed to be a citizen through marriage from the Interior and Police web site:

Service description
It is the process by which foreigners who have married a Dominican or Dominican nationality can formalize Dominican nationality, opting for the nationality of their spouse if they are married to him or her at the time of applying for nationality, subject to compliance with the requirements established the Constitution of the Dominican Republic in Art. 18 literal 5 and Art.1 literal d, of Law No. 1683 on naturalization of April 16, 1948.
Service offered by:
Naturalization Directorate
Requirements:
Naturalization request form, prepared by the MIP, duly completed by the applicant (The fingerprints will be captured at the Naturalization Office).
Instance (letter) request addressed to the Executive Power via Minister of Interior and Police, signed by the interested party indicating under which article he makes his request.
Curriculum Vitae (maximum 2 pages) of the applicant.
Five (4) recent color photographs 2x2 in front and five (4) in profile, both with white background, without jewelry, or accessories and bare head so that their facial features are distinguished.
Unexpected birth certificate ORIGINAL with a maximum of five (5) years of having been issued (SEE BELOW OBSERVATIONS IN RELATION TO DOCUMENTS ISSUED ABROAD).
In the event that (the) (the) interested party has obtained a change of name, he must deposit the original of the document authorizing the change (decree, sentence, resolution, etc.) and original of the birth certificate with the change of name (SEE BELOW OBSERVATIONS IN RELATION TO DOCUMENTS ISSUED ABROAD).
If (the) the interested party has obtained another nationality other than the one of origin, he / she must attach original of the documents that accredit the acquired nationality (SEE BELOW OBSERVATIONS IN RELATION TO DOCUMENTS ISSUED ABROAD).
Color copy of the complete passport (s) of the interested party, with a minimum validity of one (1) year.
Color copy of the current identity card of the interested party. (Alltimegreat, this means a Dominican Cedula that comes with Residency)
Certificate of NO criminal record issued by the Attorney General of the Dominican Republic, with a minimum validity of three (3) months.
Certificate of NO criminal record issued by the competent authority or institution of the country of origin with a minimum validity of six (6) months (SEE BELOW OBSERVATIONS IN RELATION TO DOCUMENTS ISSUED ABROAD).
Certificate of NO criminal record issued by the competent authority or institution of the country of your last residence where you have remained for more than five (5) years with a minimum validity of six (6) months (SEE BELOW OBSERVATIONS IN RELATION TO DOCUMENTS ISSUED ABROAD).
Certification for Naturalization purposes issued by the General Directorate of Migration stating the status of the applicant and having more than 2 years with temporary residence.
Certification of migratory movements issued by the General Directorate of Migration for Naturalization purposes, issued from the year corresponding to the first issuance of the residence.
Color copy of the permanent residence permit with a minimum validity of one (1) year.
Invoice of a newspaper of national circulation for the right to publish notice of Dominican nationality.
Original labor letter, or affidavit of income duly notarized and legalized in the Attorney General's Office of the Dominican Republic. The work letter must be addressed to the Ministry of Interior and Police, indicating name, ID number, position held, salary, seniority in the company, seal of the institution, RNC and contact numbers of the responsible person.
If you are a student, provide a letter of study indicating name, grade, date of entry and career when applicable. The letter must include the institution's seal, RNC and contact numbers of the responsible person.
Affidavit where (the) (the) applicant establishes domicile in the Dominican Republic, made before a Notary Public in the Dominican Republic of the Jurisdiction where the declarant resides in the presence of two (2) Dominican witnesses residing in the country, duly legalized in the Attorney General of the Dominican Republic. Attach a color copy of the identity cards of the witnesses that appear in the act. (This document must be made in 8 ½ X 14 Notarial sheets).
Affidavit on the financial solvency of the applicant, notarized and legalized in the Office of the Attorney General of the Republic by means of which the Property, Vehicle and Bank Account are guaranteed. If the applicant is married, they must provide the authorization of their spouse in the same act. Attach a color copy of the identity cards of (1) the spouse of the applicant and the witnesses that appear in the act. (This document must be made in 8 ½ X 14 Notarial sheets).
Notes: a) In the declaration the guarantees must be described as follows:property: As it appears in the certificate of title, you must also attach a copy of the certificate of title and original certification of the legal status of the property issued by the Registry of Corresponding Titles where it indicates that it is free of real rights, accessories, charges, encumbrances , annotations and / or provisional measures. (Valid).
Vehicle: Indicating all the registration data, also attach a copy of the vehicle registration and original of the non-opposition certification issued by the DGII (Valid).
Bank Account: Indicating the name of the Bank, type and account number, average amount and balance, append original of the Bank letter.
Affidavit on the financial solvency of the applicant, notarized and legalized in the Office of the Attorney General of the Republic by means of which the Property, Vehicle and Bank Account are guaranteed. If the applicant is married, they must provide the authorization of their spouse in the same act. Attach a color copy of the identity cards of (1) the spouse of the applicant and the witnesses that appear in the act. (This document must be made in 8 ½ X 14 Notarial sheets).
The Ministry of Interior and Police will not admit that the same person guarantees more than 2 applications.
b) The Ministry of Interior and Police through the Directorate of Naturalization may require any additional document if the contributions are insufficient.
Certificate of inexperienced marriage ORIGINAL, with a minimum of married of one (1) year and minimum of six (6) months of issuance.
If you have married in the Dominican Republic, it must be legalized by the Central Office of Civil Status.
If you have married outside the Dominican Republic (SEE BELOW OBSERVATIONS IN RELATION TO DOCUMENTS ISSUED ABROAD).
If the transcript of the marriage certificate is deposited, it must be legalized in the Central Office of Civil Status.
Provide background documents related to the applicant's marital status, if he has been previously married. (SEE BELOW OBSERVATIONS IN RELATION TO DOCUMENTS ISSUED ABROAD).
REQUESTED DOCUMENTS OF (L) (LA) DOMINICAN HUSBAND (A):
Birth certificate of (the) Dominican spouse, legalized in the Central Office of Civil Status, issued with a minimum validity of one (1) year.
Color copy of the identity card of (l) (the) spouse.
Certificate of NO criminal record issued by the Attorney General's Office of the Dominican Republic, with a minimum term of three (3) months of (1) (the) spouse.
In the event that (the) (the) spouse is naturalized Dominican (a) must attach a certificate of nationality (ORIGINAL), issued by this Ministry, issued with a minimum validity of six (6) months .
Original labor letter, or affidavit of income duly notarized and legalized in the Attorney General's Office of the Dominican Republic. The work letter must be addressed to the Ministry of Interior and Police, indicating name, ID number, position held, salary, seniority in the company, seal of the institution, RNC and contact numbers of the responsible person.
If you are a student, provide a letter of study indicating name, grade, date of entry and career when applicable. The letter must include the institution's seal, RNC and contact numbers of the responsible person.
Original bank letter, addressed to the Ministry of Interior and Police, must indicate the name of the Bank, type and account number, amount and average balance.
Other Documents, if available, provide:
Copy of the certificate of title.
Copy of vehicle registration.
Letter of guarantee from (l) (the) spouse, made before a Notary Public in the Dominican Republic of the Jurisdiction where the declarant resides and legalized in the Attorney General's Office of the Dominican Republic, where he declares that he is responsible for the moral, economic, maintenance and repatriation expenses if necessary, with respect to the applicant. (This document must be made in 8 ½ X 14 Notarial sheets).
Process:
The interested party comes to the Naturalization Department to look for the requirements. When the documentation is collected, it is presented again to the Directorate for deposit purposes. If you meet all the requirements, you proceed to take the prints and authorize the payment of the application.
It refers to the security agencies (DNCD, DNI and INTERPOL), for the purpose of being purified.
When we receive the answers from the security agencies (DNCD, DNI and INTERPOL), we proceed to register in the Naturalization Book and attach it to the original file.
After receiving all the answers from the security agencies (DNCD, DNI and INTERPOL), a file review is carried out to verify that they do not have criminal records. (In the case that the review is carried out and is registered with a background, nationality will be rejected).
After the review has been carried out and if observations are made, the interested party will be contacted and informed about the observations made, which must be completed by the interested party, after this completion he will be contacted to the interested party for the purposes of being presented to a evaluation of your general knowledge of culture, geography and history of the country that will be carried out in the official language of the Dominican Republic in accordance with what is established in article 29 of the Constitution of the Republic and must present: Original passport and Original of the residence card . Once the evaluation is approved, the payment corresponding to the Sworn Law will be authorized. Which is sworn in the swearing in the corresponding month. (Note: Oaths are scheduled for the last Thursday of each month).
After the swearing in, the file will be scanned to be digitally archived and sent to the General Archive of the Ministry for final archiving.
Observations
DOCUMENTS ISSUED ABROAD All documents issued abroad must be duly apostilled (formality required to certify the authenticity of the signature, the quality in which the signatory of the document has acted, and, where appropriate, the identity of the stamp or stamp) of which the document is covered) in accordance with the provisions of the Hague Convention d / f 05/10/1961. With a minimum validity of six (6) months. In the event that the country of origin of the interested party is not a signatory of said agreement, the document must be legalized (certificate or note with the signature and seal proving the authenticity of the document or signature) at the Dominican Consulate or Embassy accredited in the country of origin of the interested party and in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Dominican Republic.
If there is no Dominican Consulate or Embassy accredited in the country of origin of the interested party, the document must be legalized in the Dominican Consulate or Embassy closest to the country of origin of the interested party.
If the document is written in a language other than Spanish, it must be translated by a judicial interpreter and legalize this translation in the Attorney General's Office of the Dominican Republic.
If the translation of the document is done at the Dominican Consulate or Embassy accredited in the country of origin of the interested party, it must be legalized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Dominican Republic.
Note: The translation must have all the data of the translated document, you cannot omit or place data that is not in it.
Four (4) copy sets of all the required documents indicated above must be provided.
The interested party will be contacted for the purpose of submitting an evaluation of their general knowledge of culture, geography and history of the country that will be conducted in the official language of the Dominican Republic as established by the Article 29 of the Constitution of the Republic and must present: Original of (l) (the) passport (s) and Original of the residence card.
The Ministry of Interior and Police may require the update of any documentation at any stage of the process as well as any additional documentation deemed necessary.
To follow up on your request, the interested party must present himself or be represented, providing in the latter case, original power of attorney duly notarized and legalized in the Attorney General's Office of the Dominican Republic.

Last edited:
A

Alltimegreat

I would have no interest at all in getting the ability to have one of the most useless passports on the planet if I didn't live here full time while hating to make trips to Santo Domingo to renew residency.

It's important here to avoid equating a passport with citizenship. It's the underlying citizenship here that is valuable despite the Dominican passport not scoring high in terms of the visa-free entry to other countries it allows.

In the near future, it will become very clear that small and geopolitically unimportant countries will be the best citizenships to hold, as these countries have no interest in or sufficient resources to hassle and harass their law-abiding citizens by tracking their every move and dollar spent across the world.

W

windeguy

It's important here to avoid equating a passport with citizenship. It's the underlying citizenship here that is valuable despite the Dominican passport not scoring high in terms of the visa-free entry to other countries it allows.

In the near future, it will become very clear that small and geopolitically unimportant countries will be the best citizenships to hold, as these countries have no interest in or sufficient resources to hassle and harass their law-abiding citizens by tracking their every move and dollar spent across the world.

Notice I said the ability to have an almost useless passport. I did not say that I was even thinking of getting that passport as I go through the hoops to be a DR citizen. I just need a place where I can maintain a driver's license, and since I live here that is the one spot where I qualify for that.

If a current US Citizen is interested in travelling around the world and spending their dollars in various locations without being tracked and harassed, then that person would have to renounce US citizenship, which is a rather painful process. About all that could be said if the person then had DR citizenship is that they would not be stateless.

A

Alltimegreat

A tax-compliant US citizen can renounce for (currently) $2,350. This person could then use his Dominican passport to obtain or retain a permanent residency permit in the EU or elsewhere.

I agree it's not ideal, but many Americans are renouncing already due to the draconian tax and bank account reporting rules, and many more will want to do so once these rules become even worse.

Having a second citizenship already in place gives a person more options and the ability to react quickly to new regulations.

I know a guy who has seven citizenships, and he's not any worse off for having them even if the situation in his home country remains free and prosperous for the rest of his life.

W

william webster

I think I supplied a copy of all my passport pages.....that showed my activity.

I too, will probably never get a hard passport.... just the citizen cedula

No need for anything other my Canadian passport.... very benign in the world

A

Alltimegreat

I think I supplied a copy of all my passport pages.....that showed my activity.

I too, will probably never get a hard passport.... just the citizen cedula

No need for anything other my Canadian passport.... very benign in the world

Fair enough. However, you may reconsider if/when Canada introduces its own version of FATCA.

W

windeguy

A tax-compliant US citizen can renounce for (currently) $2,350. This person could then use his Dominican passport to obtain or retain a permanent residency permit in the EU or elsewhere.

I agree it's not ideal, but many Americans are renouncing already due to the draconian tax and bank account reporting rules, and many more will want to do so once these rules become even worse.

Having a second citizenship already in place gives a person more options and the ability to react quickly to new regulations.

I know a guy who has seven citizenships, and he's not any worse off for having them even if the situation in his home country remains free and prosperous for the rest of his life.

I suppose there are collectors of just about anything, including citizenships. Seems a bit paranoid, but if they really are after you....

I would suggest going directly to the EU to become a resident and then citizen, omitting the DR step in that process.

M

Matilda

I would not be surprised if the DR begins to insist that naturalized citizens have a DR passport to leave and enter the country. I think they are getting ready for that by doubling the cost of the DR passport for naturalized citizens and insisting it is done in Santo Domingo only. Think of the extra money they could make.

Matilda

A

Alltimegreat

I would not be surprised if the DR begins to insist that naturalized citizens have a DR passport to leave and enter the country. I think they are getting ready for that by doubling the cost of the DR passport for naturalized citizens and insisting it is done in Santo Domingo only. Think of the extra money they could make.

Matilda

Most countries already require their citizens to use that country's passport when entering and leaving even if a person has two or more passports. It's definitely illegal for a US citizen to present a foreign passport to a US official.

I could understand doubling the cost of the passport to generate more money, but why make people go to Santo Domingo to renew? That's just an unnecessary hassle that does not lead to more government income.

Just to wind down the dual citizenship discussion, I'd like to add that I feel much more free after acquiring Dominican citizenship and I'm grateful for this. It's nice to be a citizen of a country that leaves people alone.

B

bob saunders

Most countries already require their citizens to use that country's passport when entering and leaving even if a person has two or more passports. It's definitely illegal for a US citizen to present a foreign passport to a US official.

I could understand doubling the cost of the passport to generate more money, but why make people go to Santo Domingo to renew? That's just an unnecessary hassle that does not lead to more government income.

Just to wind down the dual citizenship discussion, I'd like to add that I feel much more free after acquiring Dominican citizenship and I'm grateful for this. It's nice to be a citizen of a country that leaves people alone.

I show both my passports when I leave and they only stamp my Dominican one, and I am actually flying on my Canadian one. When I return I only show my Dominican one and they don't ask for anything else.