Christopher Columbus

A

Alltimegreat

What is the general attitude in the Dominican Republic toward the Spanish conquistadors, Christopher Columbus, and the Spanish colonization of what is now the DR as well as the majority of Latin America?

F

Fulano2

They talk about the conquistadores in the third person...they they..
As if it werent their forfathers (for the most, unless they have french names).

E

ElVenao

Lol what do you mean unless they have french names? Thats ridiculous

Colón is just Colón... A guy that came here and conquered. He is both respected for doing a feat that was unspeakable at the moment and also despised due to the extermination of indigenous people and our cultural traits of taino identity.

F

Fulano2

Lol what do you mean unless they have french names? Thats ridiculous

Colón is just Colón... A guy that came here and conquered. He is both respected for doing a feat that was unspeakable at the moment and also despised due to the extermination of indigenous people and our cultural traits of taino identity.
I am not refering to Colon. I meant that in centuries later there was an influx of french families, even nobility (Sicard for example) that came from Haïti and France who had nothing to do with conquistadores.

E

Estrelleta44

all i'll say is that i don't support the bad treatment of the natives and thanks to him we exist today....

A

Alltimegreat

My impression after visiting the DR over 10 times is that Dominicans have a positive opinion of Columbus and often point out the monument in Santo Domingo.

In any case, Dominicans seem far less politically correct on this issue (and others) compared to the US, Canada, and Western Europe.

K

KyleMackey

My impression after visiting the DR over 10 times is that Dominicans have a positive opinion of Columbus and often point out the monument in Santo Domingo.

In any case, Dominicans seem far less politically correct on this issue (and others) compared to the US, Canada, and Western Europe.

Agreed. Both Spain and DR also seem to claim that they have the remains of CC.

F

Fulano2

Just asking, to whom and where have you talked about this in the ten times you visited the DR?

C

Chirimoya

Isn't there a superstition linked to Columbus where people avoid mentioning his name and refer to him as El Almirante?

A

Alltimegreat

Just asking, to whom and where have you talked about this in the ten times you visited the DR?

Taxi drivers (some of whom offered to drive me to the Columbus monument for extra money), about five different paralegals, and people I met while attending church, and a few people I met on planes.

W

william webster

The oldest church in the New World

The oldest lighthouse in the New world

Study up on why the area is called the West Indies......

D

Derfish

I have been told of two c where Cristobal Colon landed first. One near La Vega and the other near Luperon.
Don't know if either is correct.
Der4fish

B

bob saunders

I have been told of two c where Cristobal Colon landed first. One near La Vega and the other near Luperon.
Don't know if either is correct.
Der4fish

Well since La Vega is an hour a way from the sea/ocean it certainly wasn't La Vega.

W

william webster

There was an inland large waterway on the south side...
now landlocked...
Baharona way, I think

Z

zoomzx11

The average Dominican I know has very little real idea of the history of Hispaniola or Columbus.
Maybe I need to raise the ed level of my friends but most do not even read the newspaper except to check the lottery numbers.
Certainly not saying it is true for all

W

william webster

Lago Enriquillo was once accessible from the Caribbean Sea

U

USA DOC

….By definition the word colonization means ...to exterminate the native population, and steal the natural resources ….The Spanish were very good at this...read about Cortez in Mexico or Pizzaro in South America...Also Colon ran one of his 3 ships on to a coral reef on the north coast of the DR somewhere near Puerto plata… He then salvaged the lumber and built a small fort he named Isabel (after the Queen) and left some of his men to stay there until his return trip the next year....Well about a year later he returned only to find all his men dead, killed by the local Indians, because they had stolen all the Indian women....and so this type of behavior continues here to this day …….Doc.....