Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Christopher Columbus

What is the general attitude in the Dominican Republic toward the Spanish conquistadors, Christopher Columbus, and the Spanish colonization of what is now the DR as well as the majority of Latin America?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

They talk about the conquistadores in the third person...they they..
    As if it werent their forfathers (for the most, unless they have french names).

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Lol what do you mean unless they have french names? Thats ridiculous

Colón is just Colón... A guy that came here and conquered. He is both respected for doing a feat that was unspeakable at the moment and also despised due to the extermination of indigenous people and our cultural traits of taino identity.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

...An Italian...

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by USA DOC View Post
    ...An Italian...
    And supposedly a Jew.
    Whoever introduces the old again to recognize the new, can be a teacher to others.
    (Confucius)

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ElVenao View Post
    Lol what do you mean unless they have french names? Thats ridiculous

Colón is just Colón... A guy that came here and conquered. He is both respected for doing a feat that was unspeakable at the moment and also despised due to the extermination of indigenous people and our cultural traits of taino identity.
    I am not refering to Colon. I meant that in centuries later there was an influx of french families, even nobility (Sicard for example) that came from Haïti and France who had nothing to do with conquistadores.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

all i'll say is that i don't support the bad treatment of the natives and thanks to him we exist today....

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

My impression after visiting the DR over 10 times is that Dominicans have a positive opinion of Columbus and often point out the monument in Santo Domingo.

In any case, Dominicans seem far less politically correct on this issue (and others) compared to the US, Canada, and Western Europe.

9. Likes mofongoloco liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alltimegreat View Post
    My impression after visiting the DR over 10 times is that Dominicans have a positive opinion of Columbus and often point out the monument in Santo Domingo.

In any case, Dominicans seem far less politically correct on this issue (and others) compared to the US, Canada, and Western Europe.
    Agreed. Both Spain and DR also seem to claim that they have the remains of CC.

11. Likes mofongoloco liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alltimegreat View Post

Just asking, to whom and where have you talked about this in the ten times you visited the DR?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast