Bavaro - Peligroso

W

william webster

A couple of girls from Cabrera grew frustrated with no job openings in Cabrera.

THeir Bavaro friend told them work was available there,,,
and she had an apartment for them etc....
They're good friends

In the few 2-3 days, they were physically robbed
Physically meaning 3 guys grabbed their purses from them and ran

Luckily, they had cedulas etc in their pockets..But their rent deposits are gone

Are real mess....

Those tourist areas.....
The friend said -- Oh, I forgot to warn you

Cabrera doesn't have these problems

Yikes - a bad start for them

C

Caonabo

Oh please. Shi*e like this has been occurring here in RD for 50+ years. Be real for once.
I am not denying the account, but the dramatics of it yes.

G

Garyexpat

I am not a fan of Bavaro/Punta Cana but a clearer picture of where exactly the apartment was located might tell, "the rest of the story " (for those who remember Paul Harvey).
As much as this can happen anywhere and as much as I am not a fan of that part of the country I do believe the tourist part of Bavaro / PC are pretty safe but I have spent 2 months over there which was enough to know that like anywhere in the country, less safe areas are never too far away.
I wish the girls the best.

W

william webster

The girls have returned...
Broke & Broken Hearted

The story is worse then I reported

The theft was at GUNPOINT....
each girl held w/ a gun to her ear
Purses taken and gone

They had been warned about not carrying phones in their hands so had them stuffed in their pantsalong with cedulas and health cards

One of them had street smarts

Anyway - an armed theft is quite different than a simple theft

The one girl was so upset she broke out in a rash from the stress

Awful - just awful...

Keep your eyes open wide in Bavaro

S

SKY

Bavaro is one of the safest areas in the DR. One thing you trumpet does not make it any different. Things happen all over the DR and the World, don't use one example to prop up some BS. I used to carry a gun in Sosua and used it once, here I don't even bother to carry anymore.

The people living in Punta Cana and Bavaro know a lot more than some guy living far away in Cabrera..............

C

chico bill

Bavaro is one of the safest areas in the DR. One thing you trumpet does not make it any different. Things happen all over the DR and the World, don't use one example to prop up some BS. I used to carry a gun in Sosua and used it once, here I don't even bother to carry anymore.

The people living in Punta Cana and Bavaro know a lot more than some guy living far away in Cabrera..............

He was relating a personal experience - no need to bust a guy's balls for that. It serves as a warning to be aware if traveling there. Most people go to the AIs, but step outside of the hotel grounds and it is a different world.
I hope those girls recover emotionally and the creeps find someone armed and ready to send them for their dirt naps soon.

William knows a lot about DR, I appreciate his insights, and SKY you are not a moderator.

W

william webster

You don't (at least I don't) hear of much armed robbery here ....
especially, in the morning involving two girls

Ok...Night club at midnight.... perhaps....

Armed daytime are a rarity in my life....... can't speak for SKY....
we may live differently

S

SKY

William knows the same thing about living in Bavaro that I know about living in Cabrera, Nothing. And I am just pointing that out..................

C

chico bill

William knows the same thing about living in Bavaro that I know about living in Cabrera, Nothing. And I am just pointing that out..................

Well it was a personal story, a one-off heads up and he apparently knows the victims. He didn't make it sound like a indictment of the entire area. So it was a reasonable and informative post.

I've been held at gunpoint two times. Once in the US and once in Costa Rica. The first time I complied with instructions and kept my life.
The second time I pulled my own revolver, fired and pretty sure I hit my target as he dropped his own weapon and jumped back in his getaway car.
I also was involved as bystander in a gangland hit on the freeway in Puerto Rico by a young punk with an AK47, who slaughtered the man in the SUV stopped next to mine. While I was not the target in that particular case I can tell you these armed assaults rattle a person for weeks or months afterward.
Two innocent young girls seeking out work should have the chance to do so unmolested in their own country.

W

william webster

If I lived in Bavaro and heard of this.....it would bother me

Santo Domingo wouldn't be such a big surprise.... 4M people, drugs, etc

Out of character perhaps -
but perception is reality

Yes chico---as I said above --- the one girl was so shaken she broke out in a rash....
the other is a bit tougher - street smart too- she was the calming influence

Not easy with a gun in your ear....

U

user123

The whole country is going downhill and the crime is soaring, the thing is that it is unreported.

G

Garyexpat

My question would be, where exactly was it. Saying it was in Punta Cana can be misleading. Most people that say they want to Punta Cana probably actually stayed in Bavaro. I happen to think they are both VERY safe however you need to keep up your guard everywhere at all times.
Now, were they in Veron, or other areas where you don't find tourists so much? (personally I've had a few beers and shot pool in Veron and never had a problem). If they went over looking for work I doubt they were staying at the Hard Rock but more likely looking to rent a small place in a "locals" area.
I wish them the best.

B

bob saunders

The whole country is going downhill and the crime is soaring, the thing is that it is unreported.

The whole country? What are you basing that on? If crime is increasing I think it is mainly due to drugs. This is a topic much talked about by Dominicans.

C

chico bill

The whole country? What are you basing that on? If crime is increasing I think it is mainly due to drugs. This is a topic much talked about by Dominicans.

I wonder if Cesar the Abuser being taken down will help ? Maybe the high profile shooting of Big Papi and the recent alleged involvement of Major League ball players will turn up the heat on DR to take real action against drugs and money laundering ?

As long the money lines the pockets of politicos the money laundering from drug profits will keep real crackdowns from happening

W

william webster

Personally, I think it is a result of the various layoffs and lack of work in the PC/Bavaro area that might be creating more crime.

Short of money, some resort to crime
For some it's a way of life - for others, a means to an end

S

SKY

Personally, I think it is a result of the various layoffs and lack of work in the PC/Bavaro area that might be creating more crime.

Short of money, some resort to crime
For some it's a way of life - for others, a means to an end

This I agree with, but we are nowhere near that plateau in the Punta Cana, Bavaro area. And almost all the workers in the AI's live in Higuey.

W

william webster

I used have to a decent sized check cashing business in Philadelphia....$40-50M a year
Before that, the family business was a foundry.

I know about hard working people and how close to the line they live...trust me.

Miss one paycheck for some - two for a few....and they're flat assed broke
No rent - no food

Factor in the RD wage and circumstances....they are bust... flat out broke
I bet few have bank accounts (literally millions of US residents don't)

They are poor and desperate at this point

F

franco1111

Unless we know exactly where this happened it is hard to make any kind of meaningful statement about it at all. Bavaro is an area that means different things to different people. I see that the name Bavaro is used, not Punta Cana. As indicated in the story I posted a while ago, Bavaro can include the Hoyo of Friusa. This is a completely different place than the intersection where Corner Bar and Drink Point are located, for example. That corner is not peligroso, for the most part. Of course, you need to be careful where ever you go. The chance of being held up at gun point at that corner are slim. Knife point is more common, but not in terms of attacks on tourists. There is nothing in this story that should cause alarm to tourists. As I have also pointed out, the world other than that of tourists in this area is very different. Very sorry to know these girls were victims.

N

NALs

My question would be, where exactly was it.
Don't expect that since it beats the purpose. For the time being (could be ever) assume it happen in the Hoyo de Friusa, one of the low income areas of Bávaro where basically only people that live and people that know someone that live there there go to that place. Like all low income areas of the urban DR, it's full of apartments.