SMA Sunny Island 6048 Inverter and Midnight Solar Classic 250 charge controller

R

reilleyp

SMA Sunny Island 6048 New in box $1700.
Midnight Solar Classic Charge controller 250, new in box $300.
Would allow you to set up an off grid system. If you want to stay on the grid, I also have some Sunny Boys.

You would just need some panels and batteries, so for about $6000 USD you can have a quality 6000 kw system.
reilleyp@yahoo.com
Classifieds are not working, send me the bill when they are up and running.

C

chico bill

SMA Sunny Island 6048 New in box $1700.
Midnight Solar Classic Charge controller 250, new in box $300.
Would allow you to set up an off grid system. If you want to stay on the grid, I also have some Sunny Boys.

You would just need some panels and batteries, so for about $6000 USD you can have a quality 6000 kw system.
reilleyp@yahoo.com
Classifieds are not working, send me the bill when they are up and running.

How many panels and batteries would be needed to set up the off the grid system ?

W

windeguy

What amount of KwH would those panels produce on average in the DR per day?

R

reilleyp

There are many websites to answer your question. Your best approach is to look at your electric bill to determine your consumption. Once you know that, you can use SMA's website to size your system and determine the number of panels that you need. Do not oversize it because if you are paying 13 pesos per Kw, you may only be reimbursed 8 pesos by the electric company because the other 5 pesos are taxes.

sma-america

R

reilleyp

A good quality 6kW solar system generates 26.4 units per day – enough to offset an average household's energy usage. However, the output of your 6kW solar PV system will vary depending on your location, system positioning and quality.

W

windeguy

A good quality 6kW solar system generates 26.4 units per day – enough to offset an average household's energy usage. However, the output of your 6kW solar PV system will vary depending on your location, system positioning and quality.

At this time, I am not interested in being "off grid" with all the batteries that requires. I would consider a system where I can offset my costs by reducing my bill directly with Edenorte and feeding energy into the grid , if that is possible where I live. My average daily usage is under 20 kWh per day and my cost around $90 US per month.

If I can sell the power back to Edenorte my break even point would be about 6 to 7 years unless Edenorte paid me for any excess I put into the grid.

How many panels are required? My optimal space is limited.

R

reilleyp

At this time, I am not interested in being "off grid" with all the batteries that requires. I would consider a system where I can offset my costs by reducing my bill directly with Edenorte and feeding energy into the grid , if that is possible where I live. My average daily usage is under 20 kWh per day and my cost around $90 US per month.

If I can sell the power back to Edenorte my break even point would be about 6 to 7 years unless Edenorte paid me for any excess I put into the grid.

You would need around 16 of the 350 watt panels, and the SMA sunny boy instead of the SMA Sunny Island. I have one SB 6000 left that I can sell for $1000.

R

reilleyp

The inverters and charge controllers are now in the country. (Samana)

W

windeguy

You would need around 16 of the 350 watt panels, and the SMA sunny boy instead of the SMA Sunny Island. I have one SB 6000 left that I can sell for $1000.

Each 350 watt panel in the DR costs how much these days?

R

reilleyp

Each 350 watt panel in the DR costs how much these days?

The prices vary. I do not have any but I have seen them for 40-80 cents per kw. I have read in some places that installers use used solar panels. I would advise that you visit their facility make sure they have the panels and ask for the serial number so that you can check with the manufacturer to ensure that they were never installed before and see how old they are.

C

cobraboy

I have a friend in Santo Domingo who purchased a nice non-storage solar system for his house, only to be told by the power company that his neighborhood can no longer be part of the "feed the grid" program because of excess capacity the power company doesn't need.

A ton of $$$ down the drain.

R

reilleyp

I have a friend in Santo Domingo who purchased a nice non-storage solar system for his house, only to be told by the power company that his neighborhood can no longer be part of the "feed the grid" program because of excess capacity the power company doesn't need.

A ton of $$$ down the drain.

He should just get some batteries and the Sunny Island and if his system is that large he could set up a sub panel with the meter and sell electric to one of his neighbors. I always tell people just size your system for what you need because trying to sell electric back to the power company is not worth the hassle and they don’t give you a good price or in this case they don’t give you anything.

W

windeguy

Looks like I won't be doing a solar installation any time soon.

D

DR Solar

I love my solar. But you really have to do your homework.

1. Utilities are more then a little iffy if you try to sell. And let's face it, on a Smart Meter you will always owe them.
2. Solar panels differ and the installation of wires, controllers, inverters and batteries need to be really a full time job to research.
3. Anything that you read as the "rated" is at TOP. You will never get close to it.

We are very happy with our system, don't sell to the grid. Our system paid for its self in under 3 years. We still have grid/bat/gen used.

Do your independent research.

W

windeguy

It would take about a year to pay back for each $1,000 US a system would cost me. As in $5,000 would take 5 years. For certain I would be on a second or third set of lead acid batteries by then if I used them heavily every night.

D

DR Solar

It would take about a year to pay back for each $1,000 US a system would cost me. As in $5,000 would take 5 years. For certain I would be on a second or third set of lead acid batteries by then if I used them heavily every night.

You keep talking about YOUR situation using YOUR figures. Our system paid for in less then 3 years. Very tired of your personal situation that is only about YOU. Not everyone is about YOU.