Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone bought a refrigerator lately?

Our refrigerator is about 6 years old and we’ve decided to buy a new one and give the old one to a neighbor who doesn’t have one. It’s a GE that we bought at La Sirena. Our kitchen cabinetry was built around it, so we’re limited to a 32” fridge.

We’re going back and forth between buying one there or shipping one down, which is probably $300-500 depending on model. We’ve looked at some here, but I’m reluctant to buy any with electronic/digital anything because of the electrical surges there.

My question......what’s the going price now for a full size decent brand refrigerator? Where’s the best place. Plaza Lama? La Sirena?

Administrator
    DR1.com

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Corripio. I would stay away from Plaza Lama. They have been known to sell refurbished goods. If you have any business here it is easy to get a 10% discount at Corripio also. Any card shown should work for that.

3. Likes AlterEgo, Caonabo, irishpaddy liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Wherever you get the good price --

an invertor type is the best for energy savings.... but $$$
    I have seen them here in SD

Don't forget our friends at Sears Scratch'nDent...

BTW - mine has none of the electronics on it.... bottom freezer for easier access

5. Likes AlterEgo liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SKY View Post
    Corripio. I would stay away from Plaza Lama. They have been known to sell refurbished goods. If you have any business here it is easy to get a 10% discount at Corripio also. Any card shown should work for that.
    I can also recommend Corripio. We've purchased two 32" Frigidaire Galleries from there. Why two? Not because they were faulty, but because we had to sell the first one as we went to Europe.

We've paid 40k+ pesos for each of them, and I have no single bad word to say about the fridge nor Corripio. 2 years extended guarantee on both, and we've had to use that on both, service and parts under guarantee also excellent.

We're possibly getting a new washing machine in the near future, and at the moment, Corripio is our number on location, nothing sure yet though...

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    I’m reluctant to buy any with electronic/digital anything because of the electrical surges there.
    Yes, that is exactly what we had in mind when purchasing. This fridge has everything non-digital, we preferred size and color (silver) over digital.

7. Likes AlterEgo, Caonabo liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I have bought a few here but only one ever really stood out and lasted.
    We bought an electric refrig that they claimed was designed for use in humid tropical environments.
    It has been 10 years and it still runs great although it is not a big model.
    Its in the DR and I am not but perhaps you can research it a bit on the web and find out more.
    All the others I bought quit, rusted out and died in a short time.
    As you well know in the real world refrigerators last nearly forever.
    One of ours had the door fall off from rust.
    Maybe one of our posters knows more about what exactly is a tropical use refrigerator.

9. Likes AlterEgo liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

If you can, wait until Black Friday. We bought a top of the range Samsung French door type fridge at La Sirena. Usual price was close to 100k. I got it for 70k. It was worth getting up early and joining the queues for 30k! Plus I paid with my Progreso Am ex card and I got a further rebate of around 10K a month later.

11. Likes AlterEgo liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

We switched from US brands to a Mabe( 25K) a GE subsidiary. They are made especially for areas with unstable electricity. Its held up well the last three years and we've also saved on our light bill. It's frost free but has exposed coils in the back that need dusting for optimum usage.

13. Likes AlterEgo liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Frigidaire works well here. And lasts a long time. And takes a power surge with no problems after.

15. Likes AlterEgo, USA DOC, zoomzx11 liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes MABE....but they're not too big

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beeza View Post
    If you can, wait until Black Friday. We bought a top of the range Samsung French door type fridge at La Sirena. Usual price was close to 100k. I got it for 70k. It was worth getting up early and joining the queues for 30k! Plus I paid with my Progreso Am ex card and I got a further rebate of around 10K a month later.
    PriceSmart has a similar French Door fridge, also Samsung I think, maybe Frigidaire. Also around RD$70k.
    Cabin Attendant,
    Augusto Pinochet Helicopter Tours

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast