Anyone bought a refrigerator lately?

A

AlterEgo

Our refrigerator is about 6 years old and we’ve decided to buy a new one and give the old one to a neighbor who doesn’t have one. It’s a GE that we bought at La Sirena. Our kitchen cabinetry was built around it, so we’re limited to a 32” fridge.

We’re going back and forth between buying one there or shipping one down, which is probably $300-500 depending on model. We’ve looked at some here, but I’m reluctant to buy any with electronic/digital anything because of the electrical surges there.

My question......what’s the going price now for a full size decent brand refrigerator? Where’s the best place. Plaza Lama? La Sirena?

S

SKY

Corripio. I would stay away from Plaza Lama. They have been known to sell refurbished goods. If you have any business here it is easy to get a 10% discount at Corripio also. Any card shown should work for that.

Reactions: CristoRey
W

william webster

Wherever you get the good price --

an invertor type is the best for energy savings.... but $$$
I have seen them here in SD

Don't forget our friends at Sears Scratch'nDent...

BTW - mine has none of the electronics on it.... bottom freezer for easier access

J

josh2203

Corripio. I would stay away from Plaza Lama. They have been known to sell refurbished goods. If you have any business here it is easy to get a 10% discount at Corripio also. Any card shown should work for that.

I can also recommend Corripio. We've purchased two 32" Frigidaire Galleries from there. Why two? Not because they were faulty, but because we had to sell the first one as we went to Europe.

We've paid 40k+ pesos for each of them, and I have no single bad word to say about the fridge nor Corripio. 2 years extended guarantee on both, and we've had to use that on both, service and parts under guarantee also excellent.

We're possibly getting a new washing machine in the near future, and at the moment, Corripio is our number on location, nothing sure yet though...

I’m reluctant to buy any with electronic/digital anything because of the electrical surges there.

Yes, that is exactly what we had in mind when purchasing. This fridge has everything non-digital, we preferred size and color (silver) over digital.

Z

zoomzx11

I have bought a few here but only one ever really stood out and lasted.
We bought an electric refrig that they claimed was designed for use in humid tropical environments.
It has been 10 years and it still runs great although it is not a big model.
Its in the DR and I am not but perhaps you can research it a bit on the web and find out more.
All the others I bought quit, rusted out and died in a short time.
As you well know in the real world refrigerators last nearly forever.
One of ours had the door fall off from rust.
Maybe one of our posters knows more about what exactly is a tropical use refrigerator.

B

beeza

If you can, wait until Black Friday. We bought a top of the range Samsung French door type fridge at La Sirena. Usual price was close to 100k. I got it for 70k. It was worth getting up early and joining the queues for 30k! Plus I paid with my Progreso Am ex card and I got a further rebate of around 10K a month later.

A

Abuela

We switched from US brands to a Mabe( 25K) a GE subsidiary. They are made especially for areas with unstable electricity. Its held up well the last three years and we've also saved on our light bill. It's frost free but has exposed coils in the back that need dusting for optimum usage.

S

SKY

Frigidaire works well here. And lasts a long time. And takes a power surge with no problems after.

C

cobraboy

If you can, wait until Black Friday. We bought a top of the range Samsung French door type fridge at La Sirena. Usual price was close to 100k. I got it for 70k. It was worth getting up early and joining the queues for 30k! Plus I paid with my Progreso Am ex card and I got a further rebate of around 10K a month later.
PriceSmart has a similar French Door fridge, also Samsung I think, maybe Frigidaire. Also around RD$70k.

U

Uzin

Unless you have a water cooler, get one of those that dispense cold water (or ice) from outside...(my next fridge !)

I think that saves a lot of energy and electric because in DR I personally have to open the fridge for water and ice maybe 10 times a day - imagine with a family...

The 13 years old Whirlpool still running after two repairs, I even ordered it's thermostat from Amazon and changed it myself. Easy to repair and parts available, not sure about new ones though... !

Z

zoomzx11

Yes MABE....but they're not too big

I think that my one good frig was that MABE brand.
To be honest I thought the tropical use thing was a sales pitch but it was the only one that ever lasted like a refrigerator should.
I am not expert but wonder if the fact that the electric is often of such low quality that the compressor motors wear out prematurely from low voltage starts.
My wonderful MABE is not too big, as described but when it comes time I am going to fight with the wife for two MABE units instead of the big double door stainless steel units we have bought over and over.
Other bad aspect is that as the refrigerators slowly die they run and run and seem to eat a ton of electricity.

W

william webster

Our local laundry blew washing machine motors regularly from the surges... $200US a fix
Really not worth it given the m/c's cost

Being solar - I don't have the problem

J

JDJones

I went the eletronic route once and regretted it almost from day one. Never again.

I've bought all of my stuff at Radiocentro. Fridgedair stainless steel Reefer, GE over under washer/dryer, Mabe stainless steel stove. Basic models more or less.

They frequently have scratch/dent sales at really good prices too.

Corripio has good stuff but the prices can be intimidating.

Also, I have all of my stuff plugged into the little single plug voltage protectors that instantaneously disconnect if there's a spike or drop in current.

I've been using those for 15 years now and haven't lost anything.

H

Hillbilly

On Black Friday 2017, we bought a "Frigidaire" stainless steel at Casa Lama. JAJAJAJa...We bought it because it has reversible doors, But it did not come with the hardware.
No problem, I thought. I'll just call and get soem shipped from the states.

Hello, how may I help you?

Hi there. I have a Frigidaire Model ##### and I nneed the hardware to change the doors around.

I am sorry Sir, I do not have that model listed.

But it is only a year old!

Sorry sir.

Look the Serial number from the sticker on the back is #########

Sorry Sir, that is not a Frigidaire serial number.

Yes it is! The sticker says it was made in China.

I am sorry sir, Frigedaire does not make appliances in China!!!

I do not know whether this is true but that was what I was told.

It works well, but watch out for LAMA

HB

W

william webster

A reason why I never buy appliances herein the country of Knock-Offs & Fakes

You never know.....

the old saying--
better the Devil you know..........

D

DR Solar

Our 20 year old Samsung is still running strong. We DO have elec. systems that keep the nasty power out. chilled water and ice using our own water purification systems. Look at the model number, look it up and see where it was made. That's your main clue for elec. tolerance.

Really folks, It's not that difficult.

C

cmantis

Is it a good idea put something help protect power on appliances like fridge, washing machine and AC? If so what and where to get? Spent a good amount on our appliances prefer they last.

U

Uzin

I was at Jumbo in PP the other day, so checked their fridges. My old Whirlpool was down last year, and although it was repaired I think it is becoming too old and inefficient, I hear it being ON more than before, so higher electric bill...., so I may end up buying a new one soon.

So my criteria; I look for some 12 foot or so with water dispenser on the front, separate freezer door and be frost free (auto defrost).

There were a Whirlpool (~27k pesos) and a Nedoca (~23k pesos) made in Colombia. Look nice and modern, have a fairly sophisticated interior and draws, generally made to look good and practical.

Then there is also a Frigidaire (~29k pesos) says on it made in China. This looks inside a bit industrial, nothing fancy, look rough and tough, not many draws or little bits and bobs. But it also said very low Kwh per year (I compared with other two and this was maybe 100Kwh lower per "year". About 350 as oppose to 450....).

The big difference those is that the first two have their compressor coils outside and exposed at the back, while the Frigidaire is not exposed. Now, no idea if that is good or bad, easier to clean as easier to get dirty when outside, but also better heat exchange in this climate. But easier to damage....Any ideas.... !?

There was even a smaller Frigidaire of 10 foot, but not frost free and freezer not with separate door, too small I thought.

Also they said they charge 20 pesos per kilometer to deliver outside of PP, I thought La Serena and others would deliver free to Sosua - not sure, need to ask and also check their fridges.

Ah, and also there was a Samsung (~35k pesos), from what I hear with all the electronics and maybe an inverter, maybe not a good idea with our electric going so frequently and unstable...