Banreservas Bank Account Locked for Want of US Social Security Number

D

Dr_Taylor

Yesterday, while traveling in the U.S., I went to withdraw funds from my Banreservas bank account at a U.S. ATM machine. Keep in mind that this only works if you use the Spanish prompts within the U.S. I received a denial. I tried another machine, and received another denial.

After returning to the residence, I went online and noticed that that account showed an inability to make withdrawals. Of course, it said nothing about making deposits. Today, after reaching the customer service line, Banreservas informed me that someone in my Santo Domingo branch office locked the account because the branch did not have my SSN on file. Aside, I opened the account with my cedula, of course, but I am a U.S. citizen. Keep in mind that I got flagged in the Santo Domingo airport office two or three years ago upon returning and asked to complete an IRS form that requested the number. Well, the customer service person provided me with the e-mail address of the branch official--with whom I worked previously on another matter--and I e-mailed a copy of my SSN card. Fortunately, I travel with my computer and could do this.

Banreservas unlocked the account within three hours. I just checked online, and it shows active. I write just to let fellow residents know that some banks may be getting a tad pushy when it comes to ensuring that they have your SSN for U.S. Government banking compliance. At the end of the day, this was an inconvenience at the least. I am very annoyed, though, because I provided this information two or three years ago to a different bank branch.

R

reilleyp

Yesterday, while traveling in the U.S., I went to withdraw funds from my Banreservas bank account at a U.S. ATM machine. Keep in mind that this only works if you use the Spanish prompts within the U.S. I received a denial. I tried another machine, and received another denial.

After returning to the residence, I went online and noticed that that account showed an inability to make withdrawals. Of course, it said nothing about making deposits. Today, after reaching the customer service line, Banreservas informed me that someone in my Santo Domingo branch office locked the account because the branch did not have my SSN on file. Aside, I opened the account with my cedula, of course, but I am a U.S. citizen. Keep in mind that I got flagged in the Santo Domingo airport office two or three years ago upon returning and asked to complete an IRS form that requested the number. Well, the customer service person provided me with the e-mail address of the branch official--with whom I worked previously on another matter--and I e-mailed a copy of my SSN card. Fortunately, I travel with my computer and could do this.

Banreservas unlocked the account within three hours. I just checked online, and it shows active. I write just to let fellow residents know that some banks may be getting a tad pushy when it comes to ensuring that they have your SSN for U.S. Government banking compliance. At the end of the day, this was an inconvenience at the least. I am very annoyed, though, because I provided this information two or three years ago to a different bank branch.
Thanks for the warning!

C

CristoRey

I use the same bank. They have been pushing US citizens for this type of information
since I opened my account back in September 2014. Had a friend go through similar
situation a few months ago but he was in the DR when having to deal with it..

W

william webster

This may be another reason for Dominican passports for you US citizens/residents
who might 'Walk on the Wild Side'

G

Garyexpat

This may be another reason for Dominican passports for you US citizens/residents
who might 'Walk on the Wild Side'

Ahhhh Bill, I knew you couldn't help yourself. I am the friend CristoRey mentioned above. I wasn't frozen out of my account, just put them off for years promising to bring it in the "next time". I always had my original (issued more decades ago then I like to admit) in my wallet. Anyway, they now have it. Dr_Taylor, can you access your account on line? all transactions? It used to be great but since they made some "upgrades" I can't get in. I HATE going into a branch office but I will have to break down and do so. - I have had the account since 2006, thinking of opening in Banco Santa Cruz.

C

cavok

I posted this on another thread a while ago, but the usual cynics just scoffed and said it was never going to happen, go to another branch or another bank, or just slip the manager 500 pesos and you won't need it.

All banks are going to be requiring a S.S. number, an S.S. 1099 form, and an IRS 1099 form soon. Some do already. Count on it. It's just a matter of time. But some will still say nothing ever changes here.

W

william webster

Gary....

for the record...
I was a Green Card holder in the late 70's.....
I learned about the problems of US citizenship & residency... the same except for a vote

I turned it in in the early 80's and vowed never to get entangled again.

I left Canada in 1995.... GONE
Went to the US on an E-2....
no obligation to reside there, but unlimited visitation to oversee your investment

I left the US in 2008/9 for here - no minimum stay requ'd

And am still here... Epstein should have followed me....
But Americans like their passports --- until they don't

My point above means-
If an American has a DR passport and chooses not to declare the US relationship
Just use the DR one... no more questions or reporting
So be it....each to his own

U

USA DOC

...As I posted before here, never had much luck with Dominican banks...and that starts with the long wait in line..all seem to be about the same except for one branch of Scotia Bank that I use...1 account here ,3 in USA banks, and here they do have my ss number...…..Doc...….

B

Big

Gary....

for the record...
I was a Green Card holder in the late 70's.....
I learned about the problems of US citizenship & residency... the same except for a vote

I turned it in in the early 80's and vowed never to get entangled again.

I left Canada in 1995.... GONE
Went to the US on an E-2....
no obligation to reside there, but unlimited visitation to oversee your investment

I left the US in 2008/9 for here - no minimum stay requ'd

And am still here... Epstein should have followed me....
But Americans like their passports --- until they don't

My point above means-
If an American has a DR passport and chooses not to declare the US relationship
Just use the DR one... no more questions or reporting
So be it....each to his own

Americans like their passports for the same reason they like their banks and financial accounts. Security

X

xstew

Americans like their passports for the same reason they like their banks and financial accounts. Security
One very bothering thing about living offshore [ D.R. or any place other than the u.S.] As an American you can not do any contact or request information That ends with .gov If you don't have a stateside address and phone number you can not do any type of buiseness with anything goverment you can not sign up for whatever is .GOV So you try to use the Embassy. I have a problem with Medicare [I am denied use do to goverment error]
So since you can no longer enter the U.S. embassy without a appointment you must just send emails asking for assistance. I asked for help with the medicare error. After about a 15 days a nice lady calls my home and says she is going to resolve my problem. She sends me an email that gives the 800 number for Medicare. She must not be aware it is long distance. Or she did not care. I call and am on hold with music for over an hour. man on line confirms that i have a problem with my medicare then tells me to call the U.S. Embassy ware i live for assistance . They both get rid of their problem by saying call the other. So i wrote a letter to medicare [the only way to communicate with them] That was over a month ago even with slow Dominican mail they should have it by now. So sent another request to Embassy to please check with Medicare to see if it arrived that was 7 days ago so still have 8 more days left before the Embassy lady calls me back. I'm sure she will tell me she is going to solve the problem just call 1-800 Medicare. Living in the Sun has it's unseen problems guess ill have to move back to the States to resolve any problems that may come my way. I must say it's nice to see the Ambassador going all over the country meeting all old politicians visiting the beaches and i am sure tasting the local RUM.

W

william webster

I maintain a US address and telephone.....

Until recently, I did the same in Canada

I get both Cdn & US pensions

N

nekokatt

Good idea to always maintain your US or Canada address/phone.

For web site problems, try using a VPN to make it look like you are there

By the way, reporting the US SSN/TIN is done Form W9 (or W8 if you using an entity)
Some countries also use CRS reporting form (to see if you have tax obligation from any country)

1099 is for Interest, Dividends, Capital Gain/Loss, etc
National Bank of Australia seems to be the only one of all my banks that actually provide a 1099
otherwise you're on your own to collect all the necessary information to fill in proper places on US tax forms
(and use the US Treasury Rate to convert the foreign currency to USD)

D

Dr_Taylor

Ahhhh Bill, I knew you couldn't help yourself. I am the friend CristoRey mentioned above. I wasn't frozen out of my account, just put them off for years promising to bring it in the "next time". I always had my original (issued more decades ago then I like to admit) in my wallet. Anyway, they now have it. Dr_Taylor, can you access your account on line? all transactions? It used to be great but since they made some "upgrades" I can't get in. I HATE going into a branch office but I will have to break down and do so. - I have had the account since 2006, thinking of opening in Banco Santa Cruz.
Yes, Gary, I can fully access my account online. I use the Firefox browser. I also like the security. The only shortcoming to the online interaction is that Banreservas does not reply to e-mail communications, even when you write them in Spanish. Banreservas wants you to call the call center. I must say, though, the call center is very capable and extremely helpful. It is more helpful than many U.S. operations. Know this: They ask numerous questions to ascertain your identity. Also, Banreservas sends an e-mail whenever you use an ATM with the location and amount transacted. It goes straight to my phone. I really like this.

Last edited:
W

william webster

I use Progreso (limited options here in the country)

Get notifications on ALL transactions... transfers, withdrawals, etc
Very happy w/ the services