Wages for domestics

S

Sandy19644

Hello. I understand that there has been a mandatory minimum wage increase just approved however I am having a difficult time finding what these are. In the labour codes it is just set out for what businesses pay and not what a private person would have to pay for housekeeping and gardener service.

A

AlterEgo

Not only are the minimum wages for businesses, they are for specific sized businesses, not small ones. Certainly not for domestic employees

W

william webster

That being said
they all think they are entitled.

The minimum just went up 14% I think

My people claimed they were due a 14% raise.....my man makes 650 daily
Nowhere near minimum wage !!!
and the domestic exclusion -- forget it--- they can't grasp that

Not easy dealing with misinformation.....

C

Caonabo

That being said
they all think they are entitled.

The minimum just went up 14% I think

My people claimed they were due a 14% raise.....my man makes 650 daily
Nowhere near minimum wage !!!
and the domestic exclusion -- forget it--- they can't grasp that

Not easy dealing with misinformation.....

Your "man" makes roughly $12.75 per day, for a day of work.
A 14% increase is roughly $1.78, which would bring the almighty grand total to roughly...…$14.53.
Yes, what could those entitled peasants possibly be grasping for? The sheer nerve of them.

B

bob saunders

Your "man" makes roughly $12.75 per day, for a day of work.
A 14% increase is roughly $1.78, which would bring the almighty grand total to roughly...…$14.53.
Yes, what could those entitled peasants possibly be grasping for? The sheer nerve of them.

Which is considerably more than they would make in the same position working for Dominicans.

B

bob saunders

Our maid is paid 7500 per month plus medical insurance coverage. She works 8-2 five days a week and 8-1 on Saturday. Meals and all the coffee she can drink. She lives two blocks away so no transportation costs.

C

chico bill

Which is considerably more than they would make in the same position working for Dominicans.

If they even get paid. Had a neighbor remodeling a large condo here and he hired some Haitians and never paid them. Kept telling them the main office in Santiago needed to send the money to him.
3 months after they've finished still never paid them.
Dominicans don't mind screwing over prople for wages - in fact it's a badge of honor for them to cheat workers

C

Caonabo

So, what is the right wage to pay? Going rate or above?

Businesses must toe a certain line. Private employers could treat their workers like humans. When was the last time you were paid $12.75 per day, for a day of work.....and how old were you?

M

Matilda

Domestic workers, as Alterego said, are not part of the agreement. They only have the right to an annual holiday and double pay at Christmas. There is no law stating how much or when their salaries should be increased. Interesting article in Diario Libre

"Variedad del trabajo doméstico
Lourdes Contreras, directora del Centro de Estudios de Género del Intec, define varios tipos de trabajo doméstico, entre éstos, laborar a tiempo completo, con dormida en la casa y solo alrededor de 36 horas libres en la semana, las que trabajan solo de día, con horarios entre 7:00 am a 5:00 pm y 6:00 pm, de lunes a sábado hasta el mediodía. En los últimos años ha aumentado la cantidad de trabajadoras a tiempo parcial de dos días por semana y otras que hacen un trabajo fragmentado, que son las que se dedican a un oficio específico, como lavar, planchar, cocinar y limpieza del hogar y otras que solo cuidan niños, ancianos o enfermos, o a personas que no pueden valerse por sí mismas.

De acuerdo con Alburquerque, el trabajo fraccionado está previsto en el Código de Trabajo, por lo que las empleadas domésticas que laboran bajo esa modalidad no se afectan.

Beneficios actuales
Hasta ahora, el Código de Trabajo solo formaliza tres derechos a los trabajadores domésticos que son, el de las vacaciones anuales, que, a decir de Contreras, normalmente no se cumple, porque hasta las trabajadoras lo desconocen; otro derecho que asegura está más o menos reconocido y que desde hace algunos años se empieza a cumplir, es la entrega del salario de Navidad.

Salarios
Un sondeo entre varias empleadoras arrojó que los salarios que reciben las trabajadoras de casas están entre RD$3,000 y RD$13,000, incluyendo pasajes.

Una mujer que asiste una sola vez a la semana, realiza todos los quehaceres del hogar, excepto el lavado, recibe un sueldo de RD$3,000 al mes, más RD$30 de pasaje.

Otra que trabaja cinco horas, de lunes a viernes, gana RD$8,000, más RD$250 de pasaje semanal. Hay dos casos de empleadas doméstica que trabajan con dormida de lunes a viernes que ganan RD$10, 000 y RD$13,200, respectivamente. En el caso de la última incluye RD$300 adicionales para pasaje."

https://www.diariolibre.com/actuali...se-necesita-adaptar-codigo-laboral-BE10637152

Matilda

N

Neargale

I was told there is now liquidation to be paid for cleaning lady working 2 days a week, 8 to 2. Is this thrue?

C

Cdn_Gringo

I don't know the specifics of the law, but I do pay my casual (1 day per week) guy double at Christmas and when I change people, I give two weeks notice and pay 2.5 times the monthly salary on the last day. It's the decent thing to do in my mind.

I haven't had to fire anyone for cause but if that happened, I'd pay them two weeks wages in lieu of notice and kick them to the curb.

I also overpay - $800 for 6.5 hours work. The guy works in the sun and the heat. Doesn't complain, does what he is asked to do and causes no grief apart from not being able to coil a garden hose properly. I pay a little more because I'd like the guy to be inclined to stick around and actually show up for work. If it is raining, I cancel for that day and extend the invitation to come on another day when it is not raining. No pay for rain days.

B

bob saunders

Businesses must toe a certain line. Private employers could treat their workers like humans. When was the last time you were paid $12.75 per day, for a day of work.....and how old were you?

It is all relative to the country. I had the starter solenoid changed on my Hyundai Santa Fe on Monday. 3000 pesos for the part and the change out, with the guy crawling under the vehicle on the street where it failed. In Canada , first I would have had to tow it to a garage and then pay the shoptime according to the book plus the price so probable a minimum of 200 dollars.
I assure you our maid is treated very well, and she knows it.

R

rfp

Very little domestic help lasts more than a couple of years so by spoiling them you set them up for failure in their next job.

You need to be kind but strict and make sure that they know this is a job, make sure that they always wear uniforms, do not let them go home if they haven't completed the days tasks and instead of extra money buy/gift food, clothes etc so that they wont waste it.

Once they smell weakness your relationship with them is basically over

B

bob saunders

Very little domestic help lasts more than a couple of years so by spoiling them you set them up for failure in their next job.

You need to be kind but strict and make sure that they know this is a job, make sure that they always wear uniforms, do not let them go home if they haven't completed the days tasks and instead of extra money buy/gift food, clothes etc so that they wont waste it.

unfortunately, you are more correct than wrong.

W

william webster

So many people do not understand how to manage people...
in business or the home

As for me, they line up to work here.
The main man has been with me for about 8-9 yrs....his pay has worked up annually
until I an sure he is the highest paid of all his friends
I have ZERO problems recruiting extra labor when needed

As for the $12/day and change -- do the math again at 35-40 pesos/US$$
Thinking in US $$ is not what locals do....

They are punctual - his wife does the house... fastidiously .

Easy to throw stones .....
harder to find and attract and keep good people

J

JDJones

You need to be kind but strict and make sure that they know this is a job, make sure that they always wear uniforms, do not let them go home if they haven't completed the day's tasks and instead of extra money buy/gift food, clothes etc so that they won't waste it.

The golden rule of domestics

C

Chirimoya

Two long-term employees - the first for eight years in Santo Domingo, and the current one for 11+ years in Punta Cana.
No uniforms but yes, they are expected to stay until the tasks for the day are completed.
We have lent money to both of them to build their own houses, given them cash as well as gifts for birthdays, etc.
No problems whatsoever.