The airline which still accepts Dominican passengers...

Helen

Jan 1, 2002
Hi all,
For those of you who are in the process of bringing your "other" half to Canada, you should know that Air Transat is no longer accepting those passengers. The only charter airline which I'd found with reasonable rates and would allow your spouse to travel to Canada is Skyservice. The 2 reps in PP are wonderful and one of them have even gone the extra step of taking the passengers through customs herself.
For those who know me...NO...husband is not in Canada yet but, his flight (when the time comes....hope it's soon!) is all arranged.
Post me a message if you require more details.
Helen

jackieb

May 19, 2002
I am just curious . . . why wouldn't an airline accept Dominican passengers? This seems a little odd to say the least.

Helen

Jan 1, 2002
No idea...

I really have no idea why. Could be that they've run into situations where they've sold tickets to Dominican passengers who did not have all the required documents to travel and experienced more hassles that it's worth their while.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Keep in mind you are talking about "Charter" airlines.

Part of their operating licence/mandate is to transport travellers from their "home" country to a foreign destination and return them to their "home" country. Their operating rules and regulations differ from a normal commercial airline (who do not refuse Dominicans or any other passenger-excluding terrorists- from thier flights providing the traveller has adequate documentation.
Of course there is a big difference in ticket prices but that is part of what the charter companies are able to do because of the restrictions on their flights.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Keep Another Thing In Mind

Airlines that do accept passenger's for passage and transports them from one country to another are bound by some international agreements to return them at the air carrier's cost from the destination country to the origin airport/country when the passenger does not have the proper documents. Therefore, it is one of the reasons for the preflight screening by the boarding agents and why some air carriers are restrictive in passenger selection. Regards, PJT

michelle

Apr 25, 2002
actually

The reason charters cannot do this is because legally they cannot sell outside of Canada. They must sell the ticket for example Toronto - Puerto Plata - Toronto. The reps in the DR can sell a one way Puerto plata - Toronto to anyone who will be permitted entry to Canada. The reason they hesitate to do this to a Dominican immigrating to Canada is that they have not actually landed in Canada. They may have their papers in hand but until they arrive and it is stamped by immigration they are not a resident. They could possibly still be refused entry into Canada once they go through immigration. Although this is highly unlikely that it would ever happen.

Fyi - if you do plan to bring your husband up to Canada on a charter , make sure you get the document that states he can fly on a charter. i am sorry i forget what this document is called but i know you can obtain it in the airport.

Michelle ;)

Fred

Feb 20, 2002
Response to Michelle

Two years ago we purchased a ticket for my aunt. She came on Canada 2000 from Germany to visit my parents. We bought her a ticket in Toronto and had the ticket sent to her via courier.

She was able to fly here for two week without any incident. How come the Dominicans cannot?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Short answer

Dominicans are always trying to trick Canadian Immigration authorities. Germans do not do this....

Or could it be because Germans are white?? Nasty but possible??

HB
nixweiss.gif

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Could it also be that Fred's aunt had a return ticket?

After her two weeks were up did she fly back home? Also Canada 3000 had commercial routes as well as charter routes........

Fred

Feb 20, 2002
Canada 3000

We bought her a ticket for two weeks on one of their "CHARTER" flights not a commercial flight.

Yes she did have a return ticket. The fact is that if someones's 65 year old Dominican mother wanted to visit her daughter in Canada who was a Canadian citizen chances are that the charter carriers would deny her access to the flights.

michelle

Apr 25, 2002
Germans do not require a visa to fly to Canada or Dominican so they can purchase even one way tickets.

Fred

Feb 20, 2002
Dominican Flyers

What I meant was that even if a Dominican mother 65 years old had a visitor's visa to Canada and all the proper documentation the charter airlines would still deny her access to flying to Canada.