Baby Born in DR Need Help with Correct Last Name

D

djdaveq

Hello all. I am American, i had a baby with a Dominican woman. I will make my baby's American passport and im curious of how the last names work in DR. This may sound silly to some but Im from another world. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Fathers name is David Rodriguez
Mothers full name is Rosa De La Rosa Ventura
Baby's first name is William

What is the baby's full name?

C

CristoRey

William "Billy" Rosa De David La Rosa Ventura Rodriguez? :cheeky:

J

josh2203

Hello all. I am American, i had a baby with a Dominican woman. I will make my baby's American passport and im curious of how the last names work in DR. This may sound silly to some but Im from another world. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

I have no idea if there are any specific rules (haven't done research on it), but ours (I'm European) have worked I suppose in a traditional way as per Spanish language as in child gets first last name from father, and the second last name is mother's first last name, as in:

Ours are called [1st firstname][2nd firstname][my only lastname][my wife's first (from father's side) lastname]. This was my wife's idea and I never had any issue with it...

B

bob saunders

William Rodriguez De la Rosa https://www.thoughtco.com/spanish-surnames-mother-and-father-3078099

R

Riva_31

William Rodriguez De La Rosa will be his full name if only has one name.

M

Matilda

William Rodriguez Ventura. His first name, father's surname, mother's surname. Be warned, you cannot choose, the Dominican authorities are very strict on naming.

Matilda

W

william webster

I have just finished this....

A new citizen is issued a DR birth certificate....
and then they apply the names

My name went from 3 names to 4....incl the duplication of my mother's maiden name

W/O too much info

I went from William B Webster to William B Webster B..... to put my madre at the end

First fix this morning --- William B B Webster.....no good !!

All my other ID's are the WBW assignation

After 5 hrs of back/forth in 2 offices... I am fixed

Back to where I started - WBW

My initial cedula.. foreigner's type was WBW

How in the world could they change it !!??

THe rules were explined to me all day

Judge Judy --- OVERRULED !!!

W

william webster

sittingv w/ domincans discussing my case

Wm Rodriguez de la Rosa..... is the consensus

But still a debate

if 3 names - as above

you can add the Ventura
before the De La Rosa

B

bob saunders

Bob should know, I vote for his!

We register around a 1000 kids every year and I input the children's info on to a database so I get to see a lot of birth certificates on a regular basis.

P

peep2

We register around a 1000 kids every year and I input the children's info on to a database so I get to see a lot of birth certificates on a regular basis.

I, too, would go with Bob. My daughters US passport has her name as, First name-Fathers last name-Mothers last name. At the international school she attends in Santo Domingo I see her full name used on occasion but she is always referred to with just her first name and my last name.

D

djdaveq

ok im gonna go with bob's recommendation, thank you all for your help.