Missing store items.

D

DR Solar

This is becoming a problem. Go to the store, buy something and get home and you don't have it. First thought is that the bag guy took it and most don't bother to investigate.

Guess what? It more often then not that the person in front of you at the check out grabbed it. Yep..

Most check outs have cameras and with your time stamped receipt can ask for the video to be reviewed. 4 out of 4 (not a large data base but what we have) times show the customer in front of you grabbed your stuff while checking out. Also shows that... they are most likely not Dominicans.

F

Fulano2

Carefull with toothe-paste, dental floss ...small packages in general.

C

chico bill

This is becoming a problem. Go to the store, buy something and get home and you don't have it. First thought is that the bag guy took it and most don't bother to investigate.

Guess what? It more often then not that the person in front of you at the check out grabbed it. Yep..

Most check outs have cameras and with your time stamped receipt can ask for the video to be reviewed. 4 out of 4 (not a large data base but what we have) times show the customer in front of you grabbed your stuff while checking out. Also shows that... they are most likely not Dominicans.

Happened to me in Playero today. A Dominican man bought two apples in separate produce bags then very, very, very slowly was folding his receipt and then double bagging each apple into Playero bags while my stuff was being scanned and slid down to the bagging area but I watched him as it seemed odd too double bag each apple, then both the bag boy who had just walked up and I grabbed the 3rd bag away from him that he tried to pick up, which contained my pre-cooked chicken. And he didn't just make an 'honest' mistake - it was deliberate.

H

Harleysrock

Weird today I didn't have a bag of chips I bought and my apple juice is off lol Bad day at Playero....

K

kcdmps

I’ve had problems with missing items from playero in Sosua. Too bad DR doesn’t have grocery delivery service like Instacart in the states. If something turns up missing, Instacart will give a refund.

C

Cdn_Gringo

Too many people plod through their day on autopilot. You need to pay attention to what is going on around you all the time that you are not planted in your comfy chair in front of the TV. Losing grocery items in this way is a warning sign that you are not in tune with your environment and someday because of this lack of attention you could pay a significant toll.

Arrive at the cash register with a rough idea of the total in cart. Count your change - the cashier counts your money at least 3 times, watch the packer to make sure the potato chips don't end up under the butterball turkey and anytime there is someone within 6 feet of you, watch them like a hawk as they are the one's most likely to have an effect on you and your things.

I'm sure it is a pain in the a$$ for the gazelle to stop eating every 30 seconds, look up and around before taking another bite of grass, but failure to consistently do so in that environment will eventually result in dire consequences. If you are lucky, you can get away not paying attention as a matter of course for a period of time, but not forever. It could be the loss of a toothbrush in the checkout line, getting clobbered soon after leaving the bank with the month's rent money, or getting smucked by someone riding a pasola on the sidewalk or darting down the street going the wrong way.

People do the darnedest things. Doubly so in this country where rules of decorum and common sense are neither enforced nor embraced. This type of opportunist theft is premised on the assumption that most people have no clue what is going on within 15 feet of themselves most of the time.

Thanks for the reminder that not everybody operates above the "let's be nice to each other" threshold.

C

Celt202

I was missing a bag of 5 pan de agua* recently. I went back to the Supermercado Nacional with the receipt the next day. They ran the tape and told me the Haitian behind me stuffed it into his bag. I remembered him and the funny look on his face.

I am not going to take this sitting down. I appeal to the Dee Ah Won community to help me draft a "note protesting in the strongest possible terms" this atrocity. Said note (which I will actually compile sitting down) will then be hand delivered to the Haitian Embassy.

#WTF #Reparations #thebreadisprobablystalebynow

* pan de agua - the tastiest nutrition free food on the planet

C

Celt202

I’ve had problems with missing items from playero in Sosua. Too bad DR doesn’t have grocery delivery service like Instacart in the states. If something turns up missing, Instacart will give a refund.

Glovo and UberEats will deliver just about anything in the DR including McDonalds (as part of their assisted suicide outreach).

K

kcdmps

Glovo and UberEats will deliver just about anything in the DR including McDonalds (as part of their assisted suicide outreach).

If these delivery services are any good, they can be cost effective and save a lot of work.

C

ctrob

North Coast too? Does Jumbo deliver yet? I know they were talking about it.

B

bob saunders

I can honestly say we have never had this happen to us here in the DR.

M

melphis

My wife had nail polish disappear twice at the Iberia in Higuey. First time thought it might be a mistake but the second time we are pretty sure the cashier wanted it more than us.

J

JDJones

I can honestly say we have never had this happen to us here in the DR.

Me neither. I go to JUMBO most of the time and when I check out the cashier won't start passing items until the previous customer has left the bagging spot.

On the other hand, I have had people grab things out of my cart while I'm shopping.. more than once.

C

carlos

Tell the cashier not to begin scanning your stuff until the person in front of you is done.

M

Matilda

Happened to us in Iberia in San Pedro and it has happened in the Morel supermarket in Mao. Usually expensive things like whole fish or prawns, and always the bag packer who just slides them into the shelf under the counter where the bags are stored. Also usually happens when you are buying a lot of items rather than just a few.

Matilda

K

kcdmps

Tell the cashier not to begin scanning your stuff until the person in front of you is done.

During checkout one time in Sosua Playero, a cashier started scanning the person behind me before I was done The bags were getting mixed. There were many bags and I felt rushed. I thought the bagger missed one bag but I gave him the benefit of doubt. When I got back to the apt, I found that the bagger kept the one with the expensive pastries.

L

ljmesg

Definite weak point in the Matrix.

Need eyes in back of head and neck on a swivel at all times anywhere.

M

monfongo

Twice in Jose Lois i ended up with more than i bought, both times i brought the extra stuff back.