American Obatining Residency in Las Terrenas, DR

D

djdaveq

HI All,

I am an American citizen. I have a baby in DR with a dominican woman, i also own clear a property here with a house on it, i have a car and a motor all clear and paid. I have over stayed in DR a few times and paid the fee not sure if this matters I never had a problem. I do have a good reason though my son and his mother were very sick and they needed me here to care for them. The longest I stayed in DR was 11 months so far this trip. I never had any legal issues here of any kind. Anyway im in Las Terrenas and I want to get residency to avoid any potential issues with seeing my son who is a baby and needs me.

I am eligible for residency?

Will I have any issues as I am here 11 months? really again only for my son.

Is there a recommend attorney in Las Terrenas, near by or otherwise who is considered the "GO TO" person to get this done?

Any other advise is welcomed. Thanks all!

C

Cdn_Gringo

You need to return to the United States and apply at a Dominican Embassy/Consulate in the US for a Residency Visa - a stamp in your passport that allows you entry into the DR for the specific purpose of applying for Residency at DGM in Santo Domingo.

If you are going to encounter a problem with a residency application it may be brought up when you apply for the visa. It is unlikely that you will be penalized but nothing is ever guaranteed hassle free until you get past the person you are standing in front of who holds your fate in their hands.

Get the visa, get a competent immigration lawyer in the DR and go from there. You cannot apply for residency without the visa and you cannot apply for residency while your status in the country is "irregular".

Last edited:
W

william webster

The DR lawyer will guide you thru the process.....

D

DRDreamer72

You can find the paperwork required and the process on the Government Immigration website https://www.migracion.gob.do.

Be careful on which lawyer you use here. There is one in particular who advertises a lot that I would not recommend. PM me if you would like the name.

Roy