Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default North Coast blackouts are back for Class A circuits

It's beginning to feel like the "good?" old days here on the north coast.
    After a short year or so of finally being on a Class A 24/7 circuit, we started to have
    frequent blackouts.

I complained this morning to Edenorte and received this response (as translated by Google)

Good morning dear customer, We are presenting a deficit of energy generation due to the output of the electrical system of several generating plants, which affects the service we offer to our customers. This has caused the interruption of the electric service in an unusual way in its concession area, which covers the 14 provinces of the Cibao. The interruptions generated by this deficit affect the 24-hour or class A circuits. Sorry for the inconvenience this may cause you.

So, we are back to the incompetence of the government run organization of Edenorte.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to 2019! DR is such a Joke.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Si. But look at this:

September 4, 2019 | 8:51 am
    Dominican Republic’s power companies meet the national demand

Santo Domingo.– Dominican Republic’s power companies grouped in ADIE on Wed. said the national electric grid currently has 2,970 megawatts available to meet all the demand of the electricity distribution companies.

Based on the grid’s performance in 2018, the ADIE revealed a surplus of available energy of 254 megawatts, if the country’s maximum demand is taken into account, which reached 2,700 megawatts.

According to the ADIE, these 2,970 megawatts correspond to the installed capacity of both thermal and renewable and hydroelectric plants, which are available and operating in the system."

https://dominicantoday.com/dr/econom...tional-demand/

Here in La Romana, it is the same. Frequent blackouts now early in the evening. Usually in our neighborhood it is predicatable, off at 5:30 am, back on at 8:30 am. Apparently rationing the supply. But, for the last week or two, evenings early. For example, last night and tonight it went off now. Que mal.

Must be a distribution problem. Hard to see as a joke sometimes. By the way, even though people don't want to hear this about paradise, they were throwing garbage in the streets and a few piedras again here in La Romana last week because of this. Fact.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

computer translation:

Electric service collapses in most of the Dominican Republic

Date: September 4, 2019

SANTO DOMINGO.- The commercial, industrial and domestic activities of almost the entire Dominican Republic have been affected in recent days by prolonged blackouts over which the Dominican Corporation of State Electric Companies (CDEE) or the electricity distributors have offered no explanation.

Distributor sources said they are not receiving enough power from the generators.

On this issue, the Northern Electricity Distributor Company (EDENORTE) reported on Tuesday night the output of the electrical system of several generating plants, which affects the service it offers to its customers. He did not specify which are the latter.

He indicated that the energy generation deficit has caused the interruption of this service in an unusual way in its concession area, which covers the 14 provinces of Cibao.

He explained that, in a special way, the interruptions generated by said deficit affect the circuits 24 hours or class A.

The company asked its customers for excuses for the inconvenience this situation may cause.

https://almomento.net/edenorte-infor...ion-electrica/

Administrator
    DR1.com

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

It's funny that a country with 500 sunny days a year and the coast such is in the north where it's windy 24/7 has issues with producing electricity.

6. Likes TheViking liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    computer translation:

Electric service collapses in most of the Dominican Republic

Date: September 4, 2019

SANTO DOMINGO.- The commercial, industrial and domestic activities of almost the entire Dominican Republic have been affected in recent days by prolonged blackouts over which the Dominican Corporation of State Electric Companies (CDEE) or the electricity distributors have offered no explanation.

Distributor sources said they are not receiving enough power from the generators.

On this issue, the Northern Electricity Distributor Company (EDENORTE) reported on Tuesday night the output of the electrical system of several generating plants, which affects the service it offers to its customers. He did not specify which are the latter.

He indicated that the energy generation deficit has caused the interruption of this service in an unusual way in its concession area, which covers the 14 provinces of Cibao.

He explained that, in a special way, the interruptions generated by said deficit affect the circuits 24 hours or class A.

The company asked its customers for excuses for the inconvenience this situation may cause.

https://almomento.net/edenorte-infor...ion-electrica/
    Ok. That explains what is happening. Very good. But, no explanation why. Typical.

One thought I had about their estimates of demand is that they do not have an accurate estimate because so many people are stealing electricity. They have no idea how much is used that way. And of course, the demand is greater when one is not paying for use. (An example, the salon where my assistant goes blasts a 30,000 btu air conditioner all day and the owner is quite proud of the fact she does not pay for it. She suggested we do the same at our house. : ).

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

So the DR gubmint aren't paying the electric generators again?
    Cabin Attendant,
    Augusto Pinochet Helicopter Tours

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I just moved to a new neighborhood 3.5 months ago and I have already burned through a set of UPS batteries for my computers. Power goes out here all the time. Yesterday was scheduled maintenance day. Out for six hours. Out again tonight for about 4 hours.

No inverter in this rental property and I was hoping that I would be able to endure the occasional outage as a matter of course, but this everyday or every other day is wearing me down. I may have to give in and plunk down another couple grand which I really don't want to spend. These frequent long duration outages can't be good for battery life.
    Last edited by Cdn_Gringo; 09-05-2019 at 12:11 AM.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cobraboy View Post
    So the DR gubmint aren't paying the electric generators again?
    That is historically the reason why generators go off line (for repairs) to their bank accounts.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

franco1111: On the north coast , we all got smart meters they can read from the office. They monitor the power coming into developments and barrios and add up all the power used on the smart meters. If they find a problem, they can act on it. They can if they want reduce the circuit from an A (24/7) to a B or C and cut power daily to those lower designations. This is the kind of stupidity you get when the government runs the power distribution system. They do know how much is paid for and how much is stolen.

There were more people in our "gringo" development stealing power back then than I would have guessed. They re-routed all the 220 wiring, installed new transformers and made it much harder to steal and not get caught. Neighbors that were caught had to pay for years worth of back power usage and a fine to get service again.

The current stupidity is just stupidity of another kind, but is expected from Edenorte and the EDE's in general after my 16 years of dealing with them.
    Last edited by windeguy; 09-05-2019 at 08:58 AM.

12. Likes franco1111 liked this post
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast