Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cavok View Post
    24/7 power from EdeNorte is not any closer to being 24/7 today than when I first got it almost 10 years ago.
    I do not know your situation, but here in Cabarete it is really improved, a LOT

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm waiting to hear (but not holding my breath) for an explanation of exactly failed and why it failed that resulted in the cascade disconnects.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cdn_Gringo View Post
    I'm waiting to hear (but not holding my breath) for an explanation of exactly failed and why it failed that resulted in the cascade disconnects.
    Happens in developed countries too, UK last year. When a large power generator goes off grid without notice, it creates unstability and frequency drop. And that can cause other generators to go off grid as well. Hard to recover fast and takes time to stabilize.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by etolw View Post
    There are a lot more people in Cabarete on 24/7 than there were before, so compared to the non-24/7 circuits that they were on before, you could say it has improved a lot, but our backup generator is running just as much now as it was almost 10 years ago when our condo first got 24/7.

I'm just east of Cabarete, so it might be just the circuit I'm on, but I doubt it. Whenever the power is off here, it also seems to be off in town and friends of mine on the west side of Cabarete are w/o power also.

How long have you lived here?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

It depends on what you consider "improved" to mean. If you mean that the lights are on longer between blackouts, then yes that has improved.

If however, you are referring to the reliability of the system, much of which remains hidden from the average consumer, then the situation has pretty much remained the same or gotten worse. I see daily variances in the voltage being delivered to my house. From a low of 114V to a high of 129V all the time, varying minute by minute. And the spikes. OMG! Lost several light bulbs, a large UPS for my computers/server and numerous surge protectors towards the end of January when the restoration of power after a blackout roared through my house. All of my major appliances are protected, but that protection is only guaranteed to be effective once. After a hit like that, they all need to be replaced. Half the breakers in my house tripped off. So I had to replace all the breakers that didn't trip like should have. Took a week for the burnt electrical smell to dissipate.

It's not a big deal to replace a $200 Mabe fridge but it can be really annoying when you have a $2500 LG. Just try to replace current generation I7 processors and decent desktop motherboards here. These items just are not available anywhere near where I live and shipping them in from the US is simply a "gouge & screw" exercise by DGII.

To replace my UPS I paid almost twice the retail price here in the DR compared to a similar unit on Amazon. If I lived in the US, shipping the UPS would have been free. Here between $125-$150 for shipping and at least another $200 in taxes.

If the the electrical system was designed and run properly, these types of replacements would be few and far between. Sadly, they are not and most people using laptop computers, appliances without micro-chipped control boards, non-fused coffee makers and overrated circuit breakers go about their day completely oblivious to the unpredictable and insidious demon they are inviting into their home. The distribution grid as a whole - it's still a mess.

6. Likes NY-DR Commuter liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cdn_Gringo View Post
    I can't help but reminded of the recent thread dealing with the proposed liquefied propane pipeline and storage facility. This country can't keep the lights on. Back home electricians and gas techs go to school for at least two years to learn how to properly work on these systems and must maintain in good standing a Govt issued license to work on these systems.

Here it seems that any Pedro with a pair of scissors and rubber flip flops (the flip flops being optional apparently) can pretty much do whatever they like with no understanding of the work they are performing. Sure, equipment fails from time to time. This was not however the only significant blackout on the island that I can remember. Losing 51% of the transmission capability seems to indicate that much more can and should be done to limit the impact of such failures in the future. We know there will be another one, it's just a mater of time.

Based on what I have experienced in my short time here, I have no confidence in the electrical system, water system, the construction industry or any other infrastructure that relies on proven principles and practices to be operated safely and efficiently. When there is a large quantity of LP being stored and moved around the countryside are we really prepared to accept it when "they" say Ooops? Crikey!
    The conversion of power plants to LNG you are referring to, is probably THE most important step at the moment to stabilize the national grid. It is the cost of generating power that caused the rolling blackouts last year, there was not enough money available to pay the generators. Discussed in that said thread.

The cost of generating electricity is the problem, it is still heavily subsidized by the government. The losses are huge, still about 23% of electricity used are not paid for.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Nah, that information is not incorrect, it was the truth. Several power generation units were disconnected from the national grid.This caused the frequency to drop and demanded disconnections of substations across the country. Normal occurrence when power demand is larger than what is produced.But they could for sure tell you the background of the frequency drop that caused the blackouts
    They said it was low frequency because of the substation and not that the low frequency of the generators caused them to turn off the substation. Hence, it was incorrect.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Happens in developed countries too, UK last year.
    And it will be another 10 years before something like that happens again in the UK. Here in the DR last night's issue can happen again tomorrow. Stop trying to prop up and minimize the egregious incompetence and nonchalance that permeates this country's primary infrastructure.

Houses have bars and look like prisons for a reason. Everyone of means has an inverter system or a generator for a reason. Everyone stores large quantities of water. Last night was not the first time in somewhat recent memory that much of the island was plunged into darkness and it won't be the last time. I guarantee it will happen here again before it does in the UK.
    Last edited by Cdn_Gringo; 02-18-2020 at 09:52 AM.

10. Likes NY-DR Commuter liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps some day they will focus again on theft of power. Seems they have been ignoring that detail again after making some efforts to control theft. And subsidizing the grid while losing money needed to keep things operational is what happens when you have a government agency in charge instead of a real business.

Don't you just immensely dislike the comments of "it happens everywhere" in just about every thread? That kind of statement is totally irrelevant. It happens here, all the time, and that is what matters.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

The conversion of power plants to LNG ...
    Hogwash and has nothing to do with the competence of workers in this country to operate any such system safely. You are a habitual DR apologist. You are free to hold any opinions you wish even if they amount to fairy tales. I promise not to say I told you so when an area gets vaporized sometime in the future.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast