Dominican Tax and Legal Advisor

S

SneakyDV

Hi all,

I am a new Dominican citizen and want to get the best advice for how to set-up my affairs in DR with the best tax structures.

Is there anyone or any firm you can recommend who can advise me?

Thanks,

SDV

B

Big

hey sneaky. are you a U.S citizen? if so your best consultation will be with a tax law consultant state side. FYI there is no way around the vigorish.

C

chico bill

I think if you have to come on this forum seeking tax advise, you don't have enough money to be worried about it?

W

windeguy

US tax lawyers would be of little to no help regarding Dominican taxes. Sneaky is looking for a Dominican Tax lawyer.

S

SneakyDV

I am Canadian, not American. I actually do make a lot of money and so want to make sure I structure things best so I am not raped in DR. So, I need a top local DR tax person who is familiar with expats.

E

El Rey de Mangu

A man named Sneaky (who makes a lot of money) looking for tax structures in DR

B

Big

US tax lawyers would be of little to no help regarding Dominican taxes. Sneaky is looking for a Dominican Tax lawyer.

wrong as usually !! If you are a U.S Citizen (he now indicates he is not) that is your first and foremost contact. I work for a U.S company here and have for many years. A Dominican tax dude cannot properly advise most x-pats unless you are just serving a few drinks at a beach casita.

D

Dr_Taylor

I am Canadian, not American. I actually do make a lot of money and so want to make sure I structure things best so I am not raped in DR. So, I need a top local DR tax person who is familiar with expats.
I suggest that you ask your Canadian tax lawyer for a referral to a Dominican tax lawyer. I am certain that the Canadian will be able to assist you make the transition. The international tax community is smaller than most people realize, particularly when engaging in international tax issues.

W

windeguy

wrong as usually !! If you are a U.S Citizen (he now indicates he is not) that is your first and foremost contact. I work for a U.S company here and have for many years. A Dominican tax dude cannot properly advise most x-pats unless you are just serving a few drinks at a beach casita.

I contacted, recently, a couple of lawyers in the US about Dominican taxes. These were lawyers who deal with expats. They told me that I needed to talk to a DR lawyer about DR taxes.

So I was "wrong as usually". I am, in fact, hardly ever wrong. When I am, I admit it.

I will await the OP after he contacts a Canadian tax lawyers to see what they say to him.

Dr_Taylor proposed a reasonable approach to get a referral from a Canadian lawyer on a Dominican Lawyer. Probably hard to do, but you never know.

Big - I spoke to three US based Expat specilalist lawyers and they all told me the same thing. Talk to a DR lawyer. I am not wrong on this point.

Last edited:
B

Big

I contacted, recently, a couple of lawyers in the US about Dominican taxes. These were lawyers who deal with expats. They told me that I needed to talk to a DR lawyer about DR taxes.

So I was "wrong as usually". I am, in fact, hardly ever wrong. When I am, I admit it.

I will await the OP after he contacts a Canadian tax lawyers to see what they say to him.

Dr_Taylor proposed a reasonable approach to get a referral from a Canadian lawyer on a Dominican Lawyer. Probably hard to do, but you never know.

Big - I spoke to three US based Expat specilalist lawyers and they all told me the same thing. Talk to a DR lawyer. I am not wrong on this point.

its a mute point now, we found out he was Canadian, thats why I asked. Any and every U.S person that has any assets to speak of has a U.S based tax consultant, because you still have to pay the IRS. I know, I live it every April 15 working outside the U.S

W

william webster

whether you start w/ a lawyer and get sent to accountant or vice versa..... not too important

Personally, I would go the accountant route initially.

B

Big

whether you start w/ a lawyer and get sent to accountant or vice versa..... not too important

Personally, I would go the accountant route initially.

precisely, there are accountants that specialize in this. Miami is full of them, if you are a U.S citizen your first stop is with a CPA that deals with international tax preparation.

W

william webster

I have a Dominican one..... does my corporate filings

I'm not US based

As for Cdns - easy
if you are absent more than 1/2 the year... no taxes
File an 'Exit Return' to officially start your non-residency
like filing a death/final return.......same game

B

Big

The worst possible branch of the U.S government to tangle with is the IRS, there is little due process. Its "pay up" or we will take it. Its best to do everything possible to be in compliance otherwise one will be in for YEARS of headaches. For every person that thinks they have an angle, they have dealt with 1000 just like you

W

william webster

The IRS pursued me - and my wife - after we had left their jurisdiction.

They insisted (by my SSN) that I was a citizen and my wife was a Green Card
Wrong on both counts

We spun him in circles....clueless....
Immigration and the IRS must not speak.

I told him I had a Green Card in the late 70's
He asks if I properly cancelled it....

Well sir, since then I have 2 TN's and 3 E-2's.... you tell me

he then admits
I doubt you'll be hearing from me again

BTW... they offer servicio a domocilio..... no need to trudge to their offices

W

windeguy

its a mute point now, we found out he was Canadian, thats why I asked. Any and every U.S person that has any assets to speak of has a U.S based tax consultant, because you still have to pay the IRS. I know, I live it every April 15 working outside the U.S

Of course US citizens will use US tax people in the US for US taxes. Those same people who live or work in the DR will not normally use US tax people in the US for information on Dominican taxes, they would use a DR based lawyer for that. The same applies regardless of the country of origin, keeping in mind the US is has far more control over US taxpayers than most other countries.

D

Dr_Taylor

The worst possible branch of the U.S government to tangle with is the IRS, there is little due process. Its "pay up" or we will take it. Its best to do everything possible to be in compliance otherwise one will be in for YEARS of headaches. For every person that thinks they have an angle, they have dealt with 1000 just like you
I have to disagree on this. The IRS does grant due process, i.e., notice and the opportunity to be heard. I have successfully handled an IRS inquiry, and many tax lawyers have done so. The problem lies in an unnecessarily complicated tax code, and purveyors of incorrect "tax advice" to those unwilling to hire tax counsel when needed.