Practicing Medicine in DR -

S

saabald

Hello,

I went to medical school in Santo Domingo and graduated in 1998. I have all my transcripts and degree and related documents were reviewed and approved by CONES at that time. I didnt work in DR though.

I have worked internationally over the years and thinking about returning to DR and possibly practice medicine there. I am trying to figure out the feasibility and legal ramifications?

I will be coming with my husband and two elementary age school children, who would need to attend school there, possibly in English language.

We will be coming in on American passport. I believe i dont need visa for entry but if decided to work there, would need to change that. Need to explore some options there.

What do i need to do in order to practice medicine in DR? What visa would be needed for myself and family?
Any other suggestions?
Thank you

A

Asan

Hi, you will need to get an exequatur by doing a year of pasantía. Do you have a specialty? Your medical school should be able to orient you, bear in mind that income for a physician in the DR is not = to the US. I am a physician also but work in clinical trials in the US. Feel free to ask other questions.

S

saabald

Hi Asan,
Thanks for your response. I am a general physician. I didn't do pasantia in DR but ofcourse have completed all mandatory internships etc. I wonder if that would be sufficient or i still need to do pasantia?
You are right about the income difference but that is not the reason i am exploring this.

R

Riva_31

Hi, you will need to get an exequatur by doing a year of pasantía. Do you have a specialty? Your medical school should be able to orient you, bear in mind that income for a physician in the DR is not = to the US. I am a physician also but work in clinical trials in the US. Feel free to ask other questions.

She said went to medical school here, so if she finished here only will need to get the exequatur because the year of the pasantía must be done in order to finish the medical school, also will make your life more easy to become a member of the Dominican Medical Asociation too. The exequatur is a decree from signed by the president that will let you work in medical areas private or with the goverment.

To work legaly yes you will need to be resident or to have a work visa.

Welcome back and hope you enjoy your visit.

S

saabald

Hi Riva,
Thanks for the tips. As an international medical student, i had an option to do pasantia in my country of origin which i did. I will explore membership in DMA. You are right, i would need to get a work visa or resident visa. How hard is it to get a resident visa there?
Thanks

R

Riva_31

Hi Riva,
Thanks for the tips. As an international medical student, i had an option to do pasantia in my country of origin which i did. I will explore membership in DMA. You are right, i would need to get a work visa or resident visa. How hard is it to get a resident visa there?
Thanks

if you can get a job before you come your employer can get you a work visa, about resident visa will be easy if you can prove can survive with a legal income from your country. Visit the closer Domimican consulate for info.

F

Fulano2

Your local consulate Will be the first step anyways. There are loads of topics on the forum how to start the process of residency.

D

Dr_Taylor

Hello,

I went to medical school in Santo Domingo and graduated in 1998. I have all my transcripts and degree and related documents were reviewed and approved by CONES at that time. I didnt work in DR though.

I have worked internationally over the years and thinking about returning to DR and possibly practice medicine there. I am trying to figure out the feasibility and legal ramifications?

I will be coming with my husband and two elementary age school children, who would need to attend school there, possibly in English language.

We will be coming in on American passport. I believe i dont need visa for entry but if decided to work there, would need to change that. Need to explore some options there.

What do i need to do in order to practice medicine in DR? What visa would be needed for myself and family?
Any other suggestions?
Thank you
You should contact the DR medical school that you attended for advice as well. It may be able to advise you, since you are an alumna.