New Wind Farm Inauguration

A

AlterEgo

computer translated:

Inauguration of a wind farm that will produce energy to supply 30,000 homes

President Medina led the activity with executives of the Dominican Wind Group

Adonis Santiago Díaz - PERAVIA 12/09/2019, 11:45 AM

President Danilo Medina left the Mafongo Wind Farm in operation , with a capacity of 34 megawatts (MW) and an investment of 71 million dollars .

The park consists of 17 2.0 MW wind turbines , each Gamesa G97 brand, with a hub height of 80 meters and a rotor diameter of 97 meters.

Its annual production is estimated at 91,800 megawatt-hours (MWH), equivalent to 3, 100 hours of annual production .

This project is strategically located in accordance with the wind studies.

The annual production will generate energy to supply more than 30 thousand homes , contributing to business competitiveness due to the reduction in the cost of energy without the uncertainty that this is affected by the variation in fossil fuel prices, so the dependence on oil and its derivatives will decrease.

Wilfredo González, general manager of the Dominican Wind Group, said Matafongo Wind Farm will also help energy sustainability, “since producing clean energy represents a saving of foreign exchange for the State and in turn contributes to the diversification of the country's energy matrix "

According to González, this park will contribute to environmental health, promoting tourism and avoiding millions of tons of CO2 emitted into the atmosphere.

https://www.diariolibre.com/economi...gia-para-abastecer-30000-viviendas-JF14117187

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Wind potential.

BhTIEv.jpg

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
You can celebrate "renewable" energy unless you live near or visit areas where wind farms exist. They are ugly and noisy.
If anyone is familiar with the Colombia River Gorge between Washington and Oregon - there is a prime example if destroying a beautiful area with the visual atrocity of thousands of wind turbines installed there the last decade

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
You can celebrate "renewable" energy unless you live near or visit areas where wind farms exist. They are ugly and noisy.
If anyone is familiar with the Colombia River Gorge between Washington and Oregon - there is a prime example if destroying a beautiful area with the visual atrocity of thousands of wind turbines installed there the last decade
And traditional power plants are so beautiful, aren't they?

Reactions: DR Solar

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
We live in a super sunny country.
My vote is to leave conventional electrical power generation for commercial use alone, and to mandate all public/private infrastructure is fitted with a power rated solar system as a source.
Same for sewer water treatment, should be localized to each area alone. Discharging clean water to the creeks and pipes.

We need to rethink infrastructure and services if we are to continue living on this Earth.

It’s beyond me why we still use high voltage services, when 90% of household and personal devices work on DC / low voltage power inputs.

We need a gov mandated 12vdc or lower limitation for all appliances and electronics.

The textile industry is a waste of resources and produces tons of waste each year.
We are wasting more on oil based fabrics, washing and drying, detergents, bleach, electricity on a cycle of clothes with a short lifespan based on style and trends.

It’s time to adapt organic clothing, which is cheaper, disposable, can be used to feed animals in the meats industry, renewable, recyclable, less impacting on the environment and will create a more hygienic experience.

Reactions: DR Solar

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
And traditional power plants are so beautiful, aren't they?
Well power plants are ugly too - but it takes 485 wind turbines to replace one 1500 MW gas fired power facility (if the wind blew 100%) But the figure for wind turbines are closer to 45%-50% for lack of wind and maintenance factors.
So let's say it takes 900 wind turbines to replace one medium sized power plant which would be located in an area outside populated places (hopefully screened) but not taking up the more pristine areas (like coastlines, offshore ocean installs, hill tops or river valleys).
Neither are attractive but the visual pollution is much worse from wind turbines scattered across the countryside. If you find them beautiful then you will have welcome hundreds of thousands of them to turn off power plants and even then their will be likely brownouts (heck we complain about one day of EdeNorte outages).

Reactions: johne

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Well power plants are ugly too - but it takes 485 wind turbines to replace one 1500 MW gas fired power facility (if the wind blew 100%) But the figure for wind turbines are closer to 45%-50% for lack of wind and maintenance factors.
So let's say it takes 900 wind turbines to replace one medium sized power plant which would be located in an area outside populated places (hopefully screened) but not taking up the more pristine areas (like coastlines, offshore ocean installs, hill tops or river valleys).
Neither are attractive but the visual pollution is much worse from wind turbines scattered across the countryside. If you find them beautiful then you will have welcome hundreds of thousands of them to turn off power plants and even then their will be likely brownouts (heck we complain about one day of EdeNorte outages).
No. YOU complain about 15 minute power outages. And those new coal plants are doing
..?? With the ash disposal a big problem and.... oops, clean coal is not available.
Love my solar system!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
We live in a super sunny country.
My vote is to leave conventional electrical power generation for commercial use alone, and to mandate all public/private infrastructure is fitted with a power rated solar system as a source.

I am glad you are not in charge.
Same for sewer water treatment, should be localized to each area alone. Discharging clean water to the creeks and pipes.
Actually having sewers at all would be a start. I remember the discussion of the planned sewer system in Cabarete/Sosua with my plumber from Switzerland. We had a good chuckle over it. Still no work on such a system and it appears to be the same for the Cabarete bypass and Smart guns (the government is using another approach on disarming legal gun owners).
We need to rethink infrastructure and services if we are to continue living on this Earth.
Perhaps less people would help? Just a thought. Since that won't be happening let's go with thorium reactors for power for the time being.
It’s beyond me why we still use high voltage services, when 90% of household and personal devices work on DC / low voltage power inputs.

Imagine the size of the power cables needed for the typical colmado sound system at 12 V DC!
Zero gauge copper everywhere. Soon we run out of copper. Then what?
We need a gov mandated 12vdc or lower limitation for all appliances and electronics.
I suppose the world could redesign everything to work on 12V DC. But that won't be happening. Nikolai Tesla and Charles Proteus Steinmetz are rolling in their graves at the thought Edison might eventually win.
The textile industry is a waste of resources and produces tons of waste each year.
We are wasting more on oil based fabrics, washing and drying, detergents, bleach, electricity on a cycle of clothes with a short lifespan based on style and trends.

It’s time to adapt organic clothing, which is cheaper, disposable, can be used to feed animals in the meats industry, renewable, recyclable, less impacting on the environment and will create a more hygienic experience.
Perhaps in a couple of generations the "brand/fashion" mentality could be bred out of the population. Nah, never happen. When will the DR start growing hemp?

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Fly ash makes great roads, much more durable than tar based pavement.
Not to mention it is an essential element in the strength and pumpability of concrete and concrete blocks too.
Everyone complains to protect the environment -and campaign against things they benefit from.

For me I can live with a coal fired plant over thousands of wind turbines on every hilltop.

My preference is to clean up the waterways, the air quality in DR is pretty good - imagine DR with clean rivers and a healthy fresh water fishery ? I might abuse myself by taking up fly fishing again

Reactions: bob saunders

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I am glad you are not in charge.

Actually having sewers at all would be a start. I remember the discussion of the planned sewer system in Cabarete/Sosua with my plumber from Switzerland. We had a good chuckle over it. Still no work on such a system and it appears to be the same for the Cabarete bypass and Smart guns (the government is using another approach on disarming legal gun owners).

Perhaps less people would help? Just a thought. Since that won't be happening let's go with thorium reactors for power for the time being.

Imagine the size of the power cables needed for the typical colmado sound system at 12 V DC!
Zero gauge copper everywhere. Soon we run out of copper. Then what?

I suppose the world could redesign everything to work on 12V DC. But that won't be happening. Nikolai Tesla and Charles Proteus Steinmetz are rolling in their graves at the thought Edison might eventually win.

Perhaps in a couple of generations the "brand/fashion" mentality could be bred out of the population. Nah, never happen. When will the DR start growing hemp?
Funny you should mention that. Levis has an ad campaign out promoting longevity in their clothing apparel to reduce waste.
Waste like damaging the environment by using cheaply made Chinese products that last about one wash

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
No. YOU complain about 15 minute power outages. And those new coal plants are doing
..?? With the ash disposal a big problem and.... oops, clean coal is not available.
Love my solar system!
Not me - I have 12 hours of battery backup - But I do complain about the voltage fluctuations or extended outages, which aren't as bad as the old days.
In 2016 I can remember a couple of periods of 2 days continuous without power in Playa Escondida
But old timers tell me there were weeks in some places power would go out

Son of a sailor

Sep 30, 2019
Solar & Wind power, Geo Thermal and Hydro electric are the best sources for power, great investment in infrastructure.
payoff the initial setup costs and they're like a perpetual power/$$$ machine.

doesn't hurt how clean the generated power is either. the Dominican is in a great position to lead the Caribbean in renewable energy.
kudos to the DR for what they have accomplished so far.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Solar & Wind power, Geo Thermal and Hydro electric are the best sources for power, great investment in infrastructure.
payoff the initial setup costs and they're like a perpetual power/$$$ machine.

doesn't hurt how clean the generated power is either. the Dominican is in a great position to lead the Caribbean in renewable energy.
kudos to the DR for what they have accomplished so far.
What percentage of power is solar and wind in the Dominican republic?